GUILTY MI - Raulie Casteel charged in 20+ serial highway shootings, Oct 2012

Jan

Reaction score
In 4 counties in Michigan, some close to us, there have been 20+ random shootings at cars on the expressway or main roads. One man was shot in the leg, one car had a tire shot out, and others had bullets lodged in their cars. The attacks happened on week days from Tuesday through Thursday. Police matched the bullets from some cars to the same gun. Some schools have been on lock down and the kids can't go out for recess. People are nervous about driving on the expressway. This has now made the national news and was on HLN tonight, I believe on the Jane Veldez-Mitchell show. It was on around 7 p.m. eastern time. I will put a link to an article about it but there are more news articles about it from the past week or so. The news was comparing this to the DC sniper.

http://www.wnem.com/story/19880819/schools-doors-locked-after-mich-shooting-spree

I'm not familiar with the area. Are the shootings all at cars on a highway/expressway? Or are they on a variety of roads? Wasn't there something similar to this in Columbus Ohio?

I believe all the shootings were on expressways, main Michigan highways, or main roads. It seems like there was a similar case in Ohio some time ago. I don't remember if they caught the person that was doing it though.

I hadn't heard of these shootings, thanks for the link. I posted the news article with the sketch of the suspect on my FB for my fellow Michiganders to check out and pass around. Hope they catch this guy!

I believe all the shootings were on expressways, main Michigan highways, or main roads. It seems like there was a similar case in Ohio some time ago. I don't remember if they caught the person that was doing it though.

They did indeed catch him. His name is Charles McCoy Jr. and he is serving 27 years.

I'm not familiar with the area. Are the shootings all at cars on a highway/expressway? Or are they on a variety of roads? Wasn't there something similar to this in Columbus Ohio?

At 1st I figured this was random hunters because of the proximity to wooded areas. The 1st shooting was along 2 lane busy roads.then onto the busy busy expressway. I live about 15 minutes away. We have had reports of duck hunters shots raining onto the elementary buses this week.(I have the email from our district) There are hunters parked along roads to walk in a hunt as there are a lot of woods here. My husband. I remark daily that someone is gonna get hit. But obviously LE has matching bullets to say these are connected and not hunters.
Perp seems to be moving a little west but has stayed right in same general area.
I really think me & my family are best to stay right inside my house.nice & cozy.have a fireplace,food...

The news today said there have now been at least 24 related shootings along the interstates in Michigan. And now a man was shot through the door of his car. The shootings are all in the same general area but are spread out to cover parts of 4 counties. I think the latest was on I-96. These are expressways we use often so its a bit scary to think that someone is shooting at random cars on the expressway. I hope they catch the person soon. I can't imagine what his motive would be.

I've seen 20, and I've seen 24. There was an incident in Flint, where some kids were shooting BB guns off an overpass and hit several cars. Some media outlets are still mistakenly including these in the total attributed to the Random Shooter. For posterity, let me state that the BB gun incidents were not related, however, they may have been sparked by the Random Shooter shootings.

The news today said there have now been at least 24 related shootings along the interstates in Michigan. And now a man was shot through the door of his car. The shootings are all in the same general area but are spread out to cover parts of 4 counties. I think the latest was on I-96. These are expressways we use often so its a bit scary to think that someone is shooting at random cars on the expressway. I hope they catch the person soon. I can't imagine what his motive would be.

Yea I'm freaking out a lil bit. It's hard to make a choice to drive my son to visit grandma. The roads he's been shooting are all in or on the way to my MIL. Do I take a chance this shooter is'nt liking my vehicle or that we are in the wrong place. I always figure every moment of life is a crap shoot anyway but putting myself and kids in the line of fire so to speak. IDK. Really I'm good being a shut in, haha if I did'nt get bored so easily..

just heard on fox2 that there was another shooting at 96 & 23. They closed down expressway. woman was'nt hit but vehicle was.
So the guy is not opposed to being up and out early. I wonder if he's unemployed/laid off from job so he's used to early. Or if he drops a kid off at school. Yea I can't imagine starting my day thinking about driving the roads randomly shooting at vehicles. He has to be trying to NOT hit people. 25 shots and no one seriously injured.

:eek: DH has altered his route to the office until the random shooter is caught.

Police investigate another suspected roadway shooting

Drivers fear safety after string of roadway shootings

Published On: Oct 29 2012 09:18:03 AM EDT Updated On: Oct 29 2012 10:49:57 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ting/-/4714498/17174058/-/kafig6/-/index.html

October 29, 2012 at 10:47 am

Another random shooting being investigated in Livingston County

By Tony Briscoe
The Detroit News

Michigan State Police are investigating another report of a shooting of a random vehicle near the I-96 corridor Monday morning.

According to Livingston County Sheriff Bob Bezotte, the incident occurred at about 9:15 a.m. on southbound U.S.-23 just north of I-96 in Livingston County.

There were no injuries to the motorist, Michigan State Police Brighton Post's Sgt. Steve Pascoe said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121029/METRO/210290387#ixzz2AhVWOyRc

$12,000 reward offered according to clickondetroit:

A $12,000 reward is being offered as investigators from local and state police agencies work to catch a man suspected of firing shots on at least 22 cars in Michigan.

October 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

MSP: 'Projectile' hit vehicle in Livingston County

By Tony Briscoe
The Detroit News

Michigan State Police confirmed that a vehicle was hit by a projectile near the I-96 corridor Monday morning.

According to Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw, a motorist travelling southbound on U.S. 23 just north of I-96 in Livingston County called police at about 9:15 a.m. believing that person's vehicle had been shot. The caller's vehicle did sustain damage, which according to initial reports could have been from a rock.

"The vehicle was hit with some type of projectile, but it doesn't look like a bullet," Shaw said. "There was damage to the vehicle. The crime lab is not 100 percent sure yet, but it could be a rock."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121029/METRO/210290387#ixzz2AiCqJvDr

FBI, ATF boost Michigan roadway shootings reward to $102,000

Michigan State Police: Vehicle struck by 'projectile' Monday near I-96 not likely connected to roadway shootings

Published On: Oct 29 2012 09:18:03 AM EDT Updated On: Oct 29 2012 05:24:53 PM EDT

WIXOM, Mich. -

The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms are each offering $50,000 and Crime Stoppers is offering $2,000. More than 600 tips have been received by authorities via Crime Stoppers, police departments, phone calls and dispatch centers.

"The person or persons responsible for these random, violent shootings has demonstrated a reckless disregard for human life," said FBI Special Agent Robert Foley, who is in charge of the agency's Detroit office...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-000/-/4714498/17174058/-/f0deig/-/index.html

October 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Feds join probe of roadway shootings; $102K reward offered

By Tony Briscoe and Robert Snell
The Detroit News

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined an investigation into a series of vehicle shootings, signaling an increased effort and a reward of more than $102,000 to solve a case that's terrorizing motorists across several counties, The Detroit News has learned.

A news conference with officials from both federal agencies is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Monday at the Wixom Police Department...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121029/METRO/210290387#ixzz2Aj8RZKFd

That's alot of reward money. I wish i could turn him in...

Be safe out there neighbors. Our expressways are busy and hectic enough without having to worry about whose driving near you like this.

Our boss drives the roads to work every day from Detroit to Flint where the highway shooter has been firing his weapon at cars. She was on the road where the woman reported a possible shooting yesterday morning just a half hour before the woman called police. But then police decided that her car was hit by a rock or something and not gunfire. The man who was shot in the behind will have the bullet in his body the rest of his life because it was lodged too deep for doctors to remove it. The reward for turning in the shooter is up to $102,000 now, seems like that would loosen some lips. The pellet gun incident was right by our house on the I-69 expressway. The punks who were shooting at cars had just stolen the guns and ammo from a nearby store. Luckily, police caught them. Now if they could just catch the freeway shooter before he kills someone or hurts more people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back