Hurricane Sandy updates

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Weather forecasters are keeping their eye on Hurricane Sandy, which could potentially affect residents from Florida to northern New England.

Although the forecasters caution that the computer models are still divided over the future path of the storm, in a worst-case scenario the US will get hit with a storm that will be bring back memories of the “perfect storm” that hammered the US in Halloween 1991.

“The weather system could have some similarities to the perfect storm,” says Paul Walker, senior meteorologist at AccuWeather.com in State College, Pa. “I’m not quite sure if it will be that bad.”

http://news.yahoo.com/halloween-sca...ows-similarities-perfect-storm-170646481.html

Please, NO!...keep it offshore........

picture.php

WASHINGTON (AP) — Much of the U.S. East Coast has a good chance of getting blasted by gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe even snow early next week by an unusual hybrid of hurricane and winter storm, federal and private forecasters say.

Though still projecting several days ahead of Halloween week, the computer models are spooking meteorologists. Government scientists said Wednesday the storm has a 70 percent chance of smacking the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

The forecasts keep getting gloomier and more convincing with every day, several experts said.

http://news.yahoo.com/hybrid-sandy-winter-storm-threatens-east-coast-064040714.html

That little "knuckle" on the central east coast of Florida is about 15 minutes from my house. Of course, today and tomorrow hubby took two of his vacation days so we could try to get our boat out and do some fishing (we haven't been out all year :( Doesn't look good at 15-25 mph winds! Lol, this hasn't been my year!

That little "knuckle" on the central east coast of Florida is about 15 minutes from my house. Of course, today and tomorrow hubby took two of his vacation days so we could try to get our boat out and do some fishing (we haven't been out all year :( Doesn't look good at 15-25 mph winds! Lol, this hasn't been my year!

That little knuckle is where we live! I'm sorry the weather has turned on you. Maybe fish in a canal out of the wind somewhere?

Sandy slams Cuba; 'high impact' likely in US Northeast

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49546844/ns/weather/

Hurricane Sandy grew into a major potential threat to the Northeast on Thursday after hammering Cuba's second-largest city and taking aim at the Bahamas.................

The storm has a 90 percent chance of smacking the Northeast and mid-Atlantic early next week with gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe even snow, forecasters said Thursday.............

Latest from NOAA

picture.php

WASHINGTON (AP) — An unusual nasty mix of a hurricane and a winter storm that forecasters are now calling "Frankenstorm" is likely to blast most of the East Coast next week, focusing the worst of its weather mayhem around New York City and New Jersey.

Government forecasters on Thursday upped the odds of a major weather mess, now saying there's a 90 percent chance that the East will get steady gale-force winds, heavy rain, flooding and maybe snow starting Sunday and stretching past Halloween on Wednesday.

Meteorologists say it is likely to cause $1 billion in damage.

http://news.yahoo.com/noaa-east-beware-coming-frankenstorm-171317994.html

Southeast FL here.....yes, very blustery! Tomorrow should be worse.
Peeps in the Northeast, get yourself ready.

The wind event has just started here, we are abt an hour north of Palm Beach. I was just outside, the wind is roaring through the woods across the street. Nothing seems to be blowing around yet, but it sounds fierce. Now I can hear the rain.

I will be watching this thread very closely...Mom lives in New Jersey, and, like with Irene last year, will probably refuse to leave. I don't know what I should do. Again I'm thinking maybe I should just go out there and sit with her through the storm...but she'd be pissed if I did that.

So I just don't know. I HATE having her so far away. It bugs me...a lot. But she won't move out here, and I probably won't move out there. So I'm left dealing with this stuff long distance.

Sigh.

I'll be watching...

Best-
Herding Cats

I will be watching this thread very closely...Mom lives in New Jersey, and, like with Irene last year, will probably refuse to leave. I don't know what I should do. Again I'm thinking maybe I should just go out there and sit with her through the storm...but she'd be pissed if I did that.

So I just don't know. I HATE having her so far away. It bugs me...a lot. But she won't move out here, and I probably won't move out there. So I'm left dealing with this stuff long distance.

Sigh.

I'll be watching...

Best-
Herding Cats

Your mom is an adult who will make her own stubborn decisions. I have family members who are the same way. They are going to do what THEY want to do, no matter what. So, we just have to respect and accept that as best we can. I pray that she and everyone in the path of this storm, and the confluence of weather systems, be safe, in Jesus' Holy Name, amen!

Gah, not again!!! I've been afraid of another Frankenstorm, what with the blizzard last Halloween. Was a complete nightmare. My two younger kids are starting to think they'll never get another Halloween to trick or treat lol.

I remember too the "Perfect Storm" of the early 90s. I was working for my dad at the time, and his line of work was such that storms and property damage = lots of business. We were swamped for months afterwards, and it was shocking how many untold millions of dollars in damage was done by that storm (at the time we called it the "no-name storm" or "Halloween storm").

Really not looking forward to this... :waiting:

Best wishes from this Gulf Coaster for those who are potentially in the path of this storm. Hopefully all of you stay safe and dry.

The storm has slowed down to 6 mph. Its going to take forever to get past us, ugh.
Just blustery outside. The winds aren't storm enough inland to blow the palm frons off the trees, There have been reports in Stuart Fl that a garage roof collapsed on top of two mercedes. I bet that guy is having a bad day. Lots of beach erosion up Florida's east coast.
At least they kept the kids home from school this time.

Alright, time to watch the developments of this storm along the mid and northeast. Fuel-up, get some cash, do some food shopping, the weekend looks testy and Monday, Tuesday-ish looks worse.

You can follow the national hurricane Center public advisories at the link.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?text

153813W5.gif

Oh! I'm outside the cone now!!!

(Not that it matters, it seems they change The trajectory every time I look for updates)

And more seriously, yes, everyone be prepped, and I hope everyone comes through the storm with minimal damage!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back