747 users online (110 members and 637 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boy, 6, charged with a felony after hitting teacher, cop

A 6-year-old boy was in juvenile court Thursday, one day after he was charged with hitting his teacher and a police officer with books. The 60-pound first-grader was booked on felony battery charges after his arrest at Endeavour Elementary School.

The Rockledge boy later told officers he was upset because "someone's grandmother died," said Barbara Matthews, a spokeswoman for the Cocoa Police Department.

"He's a tiny, little kid, so when the two officers first went, they tried to give him benefit of the doubt," Matthews said. "But he was also out of control. Once he struck the teacher, it became a battery."

One of the police officers also tried to talk with the child but ended up getting struck in the forehead with a book thrown from eight feet away.

The officer clasped handcuffs on the child after the teacher asked that he be prosecuted, Matthews said.

His mother also was called before the arrest. The boy had a violent episode with another teacher nearly three months ago. He was turned over to juvenile detention authorities but later was allowed to go home.

The child is suspended for 10 days from Endeavour while prosecutors talk to his mother and school officials about the charges. His mother could not be reached for comment.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryMAIN0128ARREST1.htm

This type of aggressive behavior needs to be looked at closely....Sumptin ain't right!

I agree

I agree that this child needs to be looked at closely, but I am not so sure that an arrest at 6 yrs old is an answer. I wonder what came of the first incident where he attacked the teacher? At 6 a lot of kids still have tantrums and don't comprehend how their actions will affect others. Has anyone looked at the homelife of the kid? Is this something he sees at home? Is he in counseling? Is this kid emotionally immature? And the teacher asked that he be prosecuted? There is more to this story.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

what does a 6 year old know about a felony charge? When will we figure out kids are NOT miniature adults?

Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    what does a 6 year old know about a felony charge? When will we figure out kids are NOT miniature adults?
    Timex,
    Have you had the opportunity to watch Nanny 911?
    The common theme is that the kids run the household. It's possible that this little boy has control over his home and was looking to assert his authority in the classroom as well.
    Or, he could have some severe *problems*
    Although I don't think handcuffing and arresting a 6 year old is appropriate, I pray he gets whatever help he needs.

He was arrested 2ce before!

Holy Smokes! I googled and found additional information regarding this boy.

He's been arrested twice before this episode.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryMAIN0129KIDFOLO1.htm

The first-grader arrested and handcuffed on Wednesday had two previous arrests for violent outbursts against teachers at Endeavour Elementary Magnet School in Cocoa.

"Maybe this time he's going to get some help," Cocoa police spokeswoman Barbara Matthews said.

Two experienced police officers restrained and arrested the child who hurled obscenities that few kids his age would understand. Restraining the child with metal handcuffs was appropriate, Matthews added, for the child's safety.
    In November 2003, after singing loudly in class, the child was arrested, accused of biting a teacher until she screamed.

In November 2004, school officials said he stabbed a teacher in the foot with a pencil while he hid under a desk to escape discipline. He was arrested on a charge of hitting another teacher in the head during that incident.

I don't want to "assume" here, but something is not going right at home. Either the parent(s) are absent, on drugs or SOMETHING!~!~! My God!

I agree there has to be a serious problem somewhere, but IMO, charging a 6 year old with a felony isnt the answer. IF, as the article says, he has been arrested twice before, its obvious that tactic isnt working. You cant punish a 6 year old with adult punishments, they just arent adults.

If the issue is psychological, then it needs to be addressed through the proper channels...criminal charges will do NOTHING as far as that goes.

If the issue is lack of parenting, then social services needs to get involved here, and assure this young man gets out of this situation before it gets any worse than it already is.

IMO, its probably a bit of both, but either way, making the child a convicted felon at the ripe old age of 6 isnt doing a thing to help solve the problem, in fact, I would be willing to bet the farm that if things continue running the course they are running now, this young man will end up a far worse criminal by the time he is 10 or 12.

It's like when we give 10 year olds LWOP...what does that really mean to them? Do they have the intelectual ability to even understand what it means? I dont think so. To a 10 year old, next week is a life time away...

Agreed Timex. If this kid isn't getting what he needs at home, they need to take him out of the home and find him a foster home. I suspect there's most likely some sort of drug abuse at his home. If they don't get to these kids early enough, they'll be in prison for life.

There is obviously something wrong going on this child. There is obviously something wrong with his parents, if in fact, they are not taking measures to get to the root of his problems. If they are not, why isn't DFY or Social Services? It is LUDICROUS that this 6 year-old boy has an arrest record and is already labelled as a felon. He is a CHILD - a few steps away from a toddler. He is not a criminal - he is a troubled little boy with violent tantrums. He has bitten and thrown books. He needs to be treated as a child. Something is very wrong with our society if we think that it is okay to treat little children this way.

Quote Originally Posted by jannuncutt
    There is obviously something wrong going on this child. There is obviously something wrong with his parents, if in fact, they are not taking measures to get to the root of his problems. If they are not, why isn't DFY or Social Services? It is LUDICROUS that this 6 year-old boy has an arrest record and is already labelled as a felon. He is a CHILD - a few steps away from a toddler. He is not a criminal - he is a troubled little boy with violent tantrums. He has bitten and thrown books. He needs to be treated as a child. Something is very wrong with our society if we think that it is okay to treat little children this way.

Well said!! Oh and welcome to Websleuths!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Well said!! Oh and welcome to Websleuths!!
    Jeana,

Thank you very much. I really enjoy being here.