Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Judge says high school locker room incident was assault, not rape

What do you think? do you agree with the judge?

~~~~~

A Maury County judge ruled yesterday that two of four Spring Hill High School football players charged with raping another player in a locker room incident were guilty of assault but not of rape.

Juvenile Court Judge George Lovell said the incident was ''not a sexual offense, as much as it was about power and control and trying to humiliate someone else.''

Prosecutors had claimed that Kelvin Burns and Tim Moore, both 16, planned to and helped carry out the rape of a 14-year-old teammate. All four players had been charged with rape and conspiracy to commit rape.

Burns and Moore stood trial on the rape charges Friday after the other two players, Chris Brown and Chris Oliver, both 17, pleaded guilty to reduced charges. Lovell said he needed the weekend to review testimony and make a decision.

Attorney Jason Whatley, representing Moore, called Lovell's verdict ''very just.'' He said the rape charges were ''inflammatory'' and didn't fit what really happened in the locker room Sept. 9.

All four players and the victim testified that the victim was grabbed and held on the floor while he kicked and tried to get away. They also said the incident was witnessed by as many as 20 other players. The victim said he was digitally penetrated during the struggle. The other players said there was no penetration and that it was all a joke.

Moore ''engaged in some horseplay of a bad nature, which did not constitute rape or even attempted rape,'' Whatley said. ''This was no different than typical kids messing around in a high school locker room. Hazing like this has been going on for decades.''

http://www.tennessean.com/local/arch...nt_ID=64600635

Cass,
    After I stop sputtering I may be able to make an intelligent reply to your question.
    I'll be back ...
    golfmom

The judge said:

Juvenile Court Judge George Lovell said the incident was ''not a sexual offense, as much as it was about power and control and trying to humiliate someone else.''

ISN'T THAT RAPE?????? The guy was "penetrated." Its rape.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    Cass,
    After I stop sputtering I may be able to make an intelligent reply to your question. I'll be back ...golfmom
    Okay!

It's a tough one, but I think I am with Jeana, if someone inserted his finger/penis/object doesn't matter - it's rape.

It's rape, but it doesnt surprise me they werent convicted of such. High school athletes are usually "above" being convicted of such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex
    It's rape, but it doesnt surprise me they werent convicted of such. High school athletes are usually "above" being convicted of such things.

Its a sad and sickening truth, Timex. Here in Texas its probably worse than the rest of the US. Friday nights in Texas is ALL about football.

I'm still sputtering so don't expect this to be a reasonable or intelligent post.

I wonder if the Judge would still view this as a *simple* assult if this was HIS 14 year old son or grandson. Or what would the result be if it was a girl that was the victim in the case?

I don't care if the boys weren't looking for sexual gratification. This behavior is completely unacceptable. At the very least it IS a sexual assult.

The Judge in this case has just condoned their behavior as boys will be boys. I'm suprised he didn't take the next step and blame the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Its a sad and sickening truth, Timex. Here in Texas its probably worse than the rest of the US. Friday nights in Texas is ALL about football.
    Same here Jeana. The football team rules our school, and the other kids know it all to well. There is no reserved parking in the student lot, but everyone knows you dont dare park in certain places, cuz the football players want those spots. Park in one of those, and its a given, your vehicle will be "keyed" or worse.

Can you sue a judge?

Cupcake,
    not the judge, but the parents and the school look like a pretty good target

Cupcake,
    not the judge, but the parents and the school look like a pretty good target

I just think that judge is off his rocker. I've had a judge like that once, regarding custody of my stepdaughter. Our judge was a fool! I wish I could have sued him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake
    I just think that judge is off his rocker. I've had a judge like that once, regarding custody of my stepdaughter. Our judge was a fool! I wish I could have sued him.
    After much thought I've decided that in order for the Judge to really get a sense of what the charges need to be, that the boys need to reinact the crime using the Judge as the victim. Since there were 20 witnesses, the witnesses need to be substituted with the boy's family, friends, the prosecutor, and the judge's peers.
    We'll see what he has to say after that ....

After much thought I've decided that in order for the Judge to really get a sense of what the charges need to be, that the boys need to reinact the crime using the Judge as the victim. Since there were 20 witnesses, the witnesses need to be substituted with the boy's family, friends, the prosecutor, and the judge's peers.
    We'll see what he has to say after that ....

That is a mahvelous idea!

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Isn't that one way to define rape??? I am so ashamed of the behavior that caused two articles that have been printed these past few days.

Moore ''engaged in some horseplay of a bad nature, which did not constitute rape or even attempted rape,'' Whatley said. ''This was no different than typical kids messing around in a high school locker room. Hazing like this has been going on for decades.''

Yah. It sure has been going on for decades, and judges like this one will keep it going on for decades more to come.

Pathetic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast