752 users online (96 members and 656 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

County requires RSO's to meet on Halloween night

My county is requiring RSO's to come to a meeting tonight during peak "Trick or Treat" times. What a good way to keep down crimes of opportunity. This will greatly decrease innocent children and parents from coming in contact with predators. It will also allow LE to check those who do not come to the required meeting.

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.co...duled-tonight/

From the link:

"The department sent 250 letters to registered sex offenders to inform them about the event. The Sheriff’s Office, Tuscaloosa and Northport police departments will hold informational sessions about anger management, compliance with federal and state sex offender laws and probation."

Well i hope they keep them until long past 10 oclock so all the kids are home safe and sound.

Indianapolis does this as well, and it is MANDATORY for those 'invited'.

Is there any evidence that child abuse increases on Halloween?

Or is this just another cheap way to pander to the public?

I ask because I don't understand how this can be constitutional--perhaps as a condition of parole, but not in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

I ask because I don't understand how this can be constitutional--perhaps as a condition of parole, but not in perpetuity.
    I think it's great. Why isn't there ever a vigilante around when they could take out a whole herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I'm pretty sure it's unconstitutional to be sexually offended, as well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Richmond, Va is doing the same for some sex offenders.

http://wtvr.com/2012/10/31/only-smal...n-festivities/

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) – On Halloween night, the Virginia Department of Corrections along with Virginia State Police will be tracking several sex offenders to make sure they’re either at a probation meeting or their porch lights are turned off.

This is all apart of what officials call “Operation Porch Lights Out.”

Through the operation, offenders are either required to remain at home with their lights out and not answer the door or they must attend a meeting at a secure location during the evening hours when children are likely to be trick or treating.
    Last edited by TheFarSide; 11-01-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: It's late and my punctuation stinks.

Our sheriff does this. I think it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

My mom was a probation officer. Before she retired, she was the supv. for the sex offenders unit in the bronx. All of the probationers who were convicted of crimes against children were under strict orders To not have any halloween decorations on their doors indicating they were available for trick-or-treating. On halloween she would send out the warrant squad To do surprise inspections, And every year about a fourth of them had decorations out, And candy by the door. So i think this is a great idea.
    Also, as To this being unconstitutional, you loose certain constitutional rights When you are under supervision, so i dont see this as any different.
    Sorry about my spelling/grammar/random caps; im posting from my phone because of this d@mn hurricane.

Your post is fine, PHB. I hope you are recovering from the storm.

Certainly, sending officers to check for public displays on Halloween is constitutional; there is no expectation of privacy in a public display. Since your mother was a probation officer, I assume she was dealing with parolees, where special rules may apply in terms of whether she could arrest those who refused to obey her instructions.

Rounding up sex offenders isn't constitutional unless it is (a) part of the original sentence or (b) a condition of parole.

As a nation under the rule of law, we don't get to make up punishments after the fact, no matter what Linda thinks. Though I admit I wouldn't put anything past our Supreme Court.