Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1438

Thread: CO - *ARREST!* Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

I understand your point of view. We have a Memorial Park in our neighborhood that commemorates a fallen police officer. This park brings great sense of pride to our community. It is the most widely used park in our area. It is clean, well kept and used mostly by families that have no yard for their children or pets to play. Unfortunately sometimes a tragedy like this brings a community together. Hopefully this park can be a place of pride and healing for Jessica's neighborhood. It has taken a terrible blow. How can you put a price on that?
    You can't live a life for God, without God. Sashauni Aaeliyae

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AmyC7547 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    Why don't they use $450k to help find missing children? Or use it where it actually benefits someone...not simply for sentimental/symbolic reasons? Is Westminster and Jefferson County going to donate 250k to the investigation of the next child who goes missing? Where is the park for the other children who have been murdered in Jefferson County?
    I can't speak for Westminster, but around here there have been several parks that started out as a "X-Person" Memorial Park, then morphed over the years (and as people's memories fade or parents of said victims dies) into "All Victims" Park, or "Somebody who paid a lot of money to get their name on this" Park. I officially feel older than dirt that I have seen some parks go through several iterations.

And I agree with you, BTW. I know I am in the minority for my opinion, but I asked my children how they would feel going to a memorial park named for someone who was kidnapped and murdered. At first, they thought it was a nice idea. Then later, they came back and said "After thinking about it, that'd actually be kind of creepy."
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostwheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
    I can't speak for Westminster, but around here there have been several parks that started out as a "X-Person" Memorial Park, then morphed over the years (and as people's memories fade or parents of said victims dies) into "All Victims" Park, or "Somebody who paid a lot of money to get their name on this" Park. I officially feel older than dirt that I have seen some parks go through several iterations.

And I agree with you, BTW. I know I am in the minority for my opinion, but I asked my children how they would feel going to a memorial park named for someone who was kidnapped and murdered. At first, they thought it was a nice idea. Then later, they came back and said "After thinking about it, that'd actually be kind of creepy."
    It's weird. Why should children be reminded to the horrible crime every time they go to the park? "Mom....who is Jessica Ridgeway?" Can you imagine people saying things like..."Softball game at Jessica Ridgeway park!" It just sounds wrong. I know parks are named after victims, but this is a murdered child killed very recently.

Also, people are going to go back to letting their kids play outside alone, go to the park with just their friends...And it's going to be ironic in a horrible way when kids are playing at this park with no supervision or walking to school alone past it, just like the little girl who the park is named for.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Imo, anything that can contribute to keeping Jessica Ridgeway's memory alive is a very positive move for child safety and awareness.. A reminder for those who think that child abductions only happen to other people's children in other places..

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Imo, anything that can contribute to keeping Jessica Ridgeway's memory alive is a very positive move for child safety and awareness.. A reminder for those who think that child abductions only happen to other people's children in other places..
    This park isn't going to stop people from letting their children play outside without supervision, though. With AS arrested, memories are going to fade, and people aren't going to be as cautious. I would even take a guess that a lot of people are back to their pre-October routines, in other neighborhoods. People might even start thinking that what happened to Jessica is so rare, since she got a park named after her.

In Samantha Runnion's case, her mother has started actual programs that focus on preventing child abduction or molestation. In other cases, parents have traveled to DC to pass laws to prevent other children from having the same fate as their own. Those are the things that are going to raise awareness and prevent these crimes; not a park.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

The Ridgeways have also set up a Jessica Ridgeway Legacy Fund. It will be used to fund underprivileged children for camps, music programs, ect. The Ridgeway family has made it very clear they want to CELEBRATE Jessica's Life and to use all funds for a positive reflection in Jessica's memory. They could use the money for child abduction awareness, but instead have chosen a loving and giving approach like buiding a beautiful park for everyone in the community to enjoy. The awareness factor of child abduction will always be there, how could it not. How wonderful for Jessica's Legacy to be so positive and reflect her Life in such a joyous way. Hats off to the Ridgeway Family and the City of Westminster for having Beautiful Jessica's Legacy be more about giving back to the Community and for taking a positive approach in Jessica's memory.
    Last edited by AmyC7547; 01-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    You can't live a life for God, without God. Sashauni Aaeliyae

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AmyC7547 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AmyC7547 View Post
    The Ridgeways have also set up a Jessica Ridgeway Legacy Fund. It will be used to fund underprivileged children for camps, music programs, ect. The Ridgeway family has made it very clear they want to CELEBRATE Jessica's Life and to use all funds for a positive reflection in Jessica's memory. They could use the money for child abduction awareness, but instead have chosen a loving and giving approach like buiding a beautiful park for everyone in the community to enjoy. The awareness factor of child abduction will always be there, how could it not. How wonderful for Jessica's Legacy to be so positive and reflect her Life in such a joyous way. Hats off to the Ridgeway Family and the City of Westminster for having Beautiful Jessica's Legacy be more about giving back to the Community and for taking a positive approach in Jessica's memory.
    I think the foundation to make a cheerleader camp, etc is a good idea. I just don't agree with the town and county donating 250k of taxpayer dollars to make some elaborate park design. I doubt they are donating 250k to every other charity/cause in town. Why this one? Did the other causes not get enough publicity?

If someone starts a foundation for their Westminster child who has cancer, and they need hundreds of thousands of dollars for the treatment...is Westminster and Jefferson County going to give $250k to them too? I don't think so. If a family's house burns down, is the city and county giving $250k to them? Doubtful.
    Last edited by eileenhawkeye; 01-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.

eileenhawkeye, it is doubtful that the memorial park is the only positive that will emerge from Jessica Ridgeway's tragic abduction and murder. Imo, the passing of Jessica's Law in CO is only one of these positives.. please vote & share to facebook, etc.

http://www.change.org/petitions/colo...are_after_sign

Petitioning Colorado Legislators
    Colorado Legislators: Enact "Jessica's Law" in Colorado
    Signed
    with 2,046 other supporters.

CUE (community united effort) missing/murdered persons org., will be having their annual national round table conference in a couple months. Each year the conference doubles in attendance due to the growing silent epidemic. Many if not most are new organizations began by the families of the missing/murdered.. The prison inmate poker cards with victims were the result of an idea by one of these families. Many new State & Federal Laws have been passed due to their persistence and perseverance.

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/national-conference-2/

The 9th Annual National Missing Persons Conference 2013 : CUE ...
    http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/nati...nference-2/Feb 9, 2012 – THEME 2013 ” A Pathway to Resolution “. IMG_2488

Join us for our upcoming national conference for missing persons and all who work in the arena from advocating, volunteering, investigation, search and rescue and the identification process of those who are lost.

This event is open to all who support the mission of finding a resolution for families who have suffered a missing loved one and are or have been a victim of crime.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Foxfire; Just because a petition is on change.org, it doesn't mean it is getting passed. It's just an online petition site. I hope Jessica R's case moves Colorado to pass Jessica's Law (which is actually named after Jessica Lunsford) but I haven't heard anything about the Colorado legislature looking to vote on it. I'm not sure when they are in session, though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Foxfire; Just because a petition is on change.org, it doesn't mean it is getting passed. It's just an online petition site. I hope Jessica R's case moves Colorado to pass Jessica's Law (which is actually named after Jessica Lunsford) but I haven't heard anything about the Colorado legislature looking to vote on it. I'm not sure when they are in session, though.
    Eileenhawkeye, imo, if Legislators want to return to office after the next election, they may want to get behind Jessica's Law..

(snipped & BBM)
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/...hildren/83248/

In the battle for the 6th Congressional District, Republican Congressman Mike Coffman recently unveiled a TV ad that charges Democratic challenger Joe Miklosi was soft on sexual predators as a state lawmaker and “decided to vote against them (children).”
    “Joe Miklosi cast one of the deciding votes against Jessica’s Law.”

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/elect...9bb2963f4.html
    Ryan Boldrey rboldrey@ourcoloradonews.com

Republican Mike Coffman may want to send a thank-you letter to the voters of Highlands Ranch.
    In a tightly contested race with Democratic challenger Joe Miklosi for the newly redrawn Congressional District 6, votes from Douglas County are sending the incumbent back to Washington. Coffman got 49 percent of the vote to Miklosi’s 45 percent, with the rest going to Libertarian and unaffiliated candidates.

Coffman accepted the seat around 10:30 p.m. Nov. 6, more than two hours before Miklosi conceded the race.
    As Coffman appeared on stage at Sports Authority Field at Mile High to thank his supporters for electing him to his third term, Democrats at Miklosi’s election-watch party in Aurora were stunned.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Eileenhawkeye, imo, if Legislators want to return to office after the next election, they may want to get behind Jessica's Law..

(snipped & BBM)
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/...hildren/83248/

In the battle for the 6th Congressional District, Republican Congressman Mike Coffman recently unveiled a TV ad that charges Democratic challenger Joe Miklosi was soft on sexual predators as a state lawmaker and “decided to vote against them (children).”
    “Joe Miklosi cast one of the deciding votes against Jessica’s Law.”

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/elect...9bb2963f4.html
    Ryan Boldrey rboldrey@ourcoloradonews.com

Republican Mike Coffman may want to send a thank-you letter to the voters of Highlands Ranch.
    In a tightly contested race with Democratic challenger Joe Miklosi for the newly redrawn Congressional District 6, votes from Douglas County are sending the incumbent back to Washington. Coffman got 49 percent of the vote to Miklosi’s 45 percent, with the rest going to Libertarian and unaffiliated candidates.

Coffman accepted the seat around 10:30 p.m. Nov. 6, more than two hours before Miklosi conceded the race.
    As Coffman appeared on stage at Sports Authority Field at Mile High to thank his supporters for electing him to his third term, Democrats at Miklosi’s election-watch party in Aurora were stunned.
    Coffman was the incumbent, and the incumbent always has a better chance than the other guy. That's not to say that Miklosi voting "NO" on Jessica's Law didn't have an effect on why he lost; but Coffman still had an advantage. If this is a heavily GOP congressional area, it's not likely they are sending a democrat to represent them.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Coffman was the incumbent, and the incumbent always has a better chance than the other guy. That's not to say that Miklosi voting "NO" on Jessica's Law didn't have an effect on why he lost; but Coffman still had an advantage. If this is a heavily GOP congressional area, it's not likely they are sending a democrat to represent them.
    Colorado already collects DNA profiles from convicted sex offenders. The only effect Jessica's law would have is to expand that to anyone accused of such a crime. Miklosi voted no because he believes in due process.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Footwarrior For This Useful Post:

I'm just saying that all that money could be put to much better uses. I'm sure there are some sick children from Westminster who could use the money for hospital bills. Or children from a poor local family who didn't receive any gifts for Christmas. Something tells me that the city and county aren't donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to local families in need. Why not?

Use $450k to help families in need...to fix roads...to combat local crime...to buy new textbooks..something that will actually help people. Not waste it on some elaborate park design in an attempt to feel better about themselves.

I just don't get it. This is just another example of the government throwing money from tax payers away like it grows on trees. *sigh*
    The city had already planned to upgrade the park in the future but moved up the timeline. The funds they had already committed to upgrading other parks were diverted to this park instead so it isn't like they pulled the money from somewhere else, just another park in the community that will have to wait.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maude For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    preliminary hearing will be closed to the media and the public

A judge is denying the media's requests for access to a key hearing for a teen accused of killing 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway and attacking a jogger.

Judge Stephen Munsinger ruled Friday that the preliminary hearing for Austin Sigg will remain closed to the public to ensure Sigg has a fair trial and to protect the privacy of the alleged victims and their families.
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...t-public-media

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/ph....0_320_240.jpg
    This bee my opinion

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Tomorrow would have been this sweet girls birthday

29. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to i8mypaint For This Useful Post:

Happy birthday jessica!

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to i8mypaint For This Useful Post:

There are birthday signs and notes in chalk at Jessica's park today. My friend ran into her family there and they said they are burying her today as well. Happy birthday sweet girl. Rest in peace.

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cashew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cashew View Post
    There are birthday signs and notes in chalk at Jessica's park today. My friend ran into her family there and they said they are burying her today as well. Happy birthday sweet girl. Rest in peace.
    I read about that. May she finally rest in peace.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to i8mypaint For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tennlyn For This Useful Post:

Denver CP ‏@DenverCP
    Jessica Ridgeway case: Colorado Supreme Court orders judge to explain why he closed Sigg hearing: The Colorado... http://dlvr.it/2tB5h1

from Denver, CO

https://twitter.com/DenverCP

Original story is here

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...dge?source=rss

41. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Know? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Know? View Post
    Denver CP ‏@DenverCP
    Jessica Ridgeway case: Colorado Supreme Court orders judge to explain why he closed Sigg hearing: The Colorado... http://dlvr.it/2tB5h1

from Denver, CO

https://twitter.com/DenverCP

Original story is here

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...dge?source=rss
    Has anyone heard if the Judge answered this?
    The deadline was Feb 11.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to watcher9 For This Useful Post:

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joe jones For This Useful Post:

I think this is a good move for the case so the jury pool won't be tainted I imagine his lawyers will still want a change of venue though.

Will he be tried for both cases at the same time do we know?

I am worried because he is only 18 he will be eligible for parole at some point he doesn't deserve the possibility of getting to live outside prison again.
    Please remember the passengers, crew, family and friends and rescuers of everyone affected by the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 tragedy in your thoughts and prayers.

Never forget R.I.P Hailey Owens, Daniel Morcombe, Lyric Cook, Elizabeth Collins,Jessica Ridgeway, Autumn Pasquale, Celina Cass, Ethan Stacy, Somer Renee Thompson, Leiby Kletzky, Aliahna Maroney-Lemmon, Whitney Heichel, Shaniya Davis, Caylee Anthony, Mickey Shunick and all other innocent victims who have died.

Never forget the missing Jessica Heeringa, Dirk Shiller, Shelia and Katherine Lyon, Kyron Horman, Baby Lisa Irwin, Haleigh Cummings, Brittanee Drexel, Ben Needham, and all other missing children and adults.

Child and animal abuse is wrong - do something to stop it there is no excuse!

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregjrichards For This Useful Post:

I don't really think there needs to be a venue change. Just to give two examples, Samantha Runnion and Danielle Van Dam were both high-profile cases, and their trials were held in the same county. I feel like with high population counties, it's more likely that the trials won't move, because it seems more likely that you could find 12 people who aren't biased. Another reason is that after Austin Sigg was arrested, there really wasn't much coverage from that point on specifically screaming that he's the killer. There were a few days of intensively looking into his background, but it's not like there have been months/years of reporting on everything about AS. I feel like the majority of recent coverage is about the park, and there really isn't much coverage anymore at all. I know that it's because of closed hearings and I think there's a gag order...but if it continues at this quiet level until the trial in probably 2-3 years, I don't see why they couldn't stay in Jefferson County. I know that media coverage in the area was unavoidable for a couple of months, but by the time the trial starts, it will be years since the case was a regular fixture on the news, so I think they can find unbiased jury members. And just because you live in JeffCo doesn't mean you followed every detail of the case.

I also don't follow this case, but I think whether or not James Holmes gets a venue change could affect whether Austin Sigg does. I could see see both the prosecution and defense using the decision in the Holmes case to justify their view about the Sigg case.

Anyway, I am 100% sure that the defense will request a venue change, but I wouldn't be surprise at all if they aren't granted it.

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758 LastLast