1174 users online (197 members and 977 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

School District Considers Dropping Cursive

School district considers moving away from cursive

Students have mixed opinions

Published On: Nov 01 2012 05:56:11 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/S...m/-/index.html

So much for "FORWARD". Just make your mark when signing documents.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I just had a huge discussion at a parent/teacher meeting at my kids' school about this. DS has always hated cursive and said he could write faster and more easily in print. But they are required to use cursive in school. I asked the teachers if they could choose to write in print: nope. I explained how my brother - who is an attorney - made it through law school by using print all of his many many notes. You can't read his cursive - and he writes faster when printing. Still a big no from DS's teachers.

I came home and discussed it with DS. He said, "What are you talking about? I love cursive." Oops. I was basing my response on last year, not the current year. He said he's glad the teachers made him learn it because it's much faster. He does know how to keyboard because we bought him a program a few years ago. But at home, when he writes stories (almost daily... loves to write), we make him write them out by hand, then he can type them up later.

What worries me is that the brain taps into a different part of the brain when writing cursive than when printing. A more creative part of the brain. And something entirely different than when typing/keyboarding.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

I think it should be done away with to be honest, it's a waste of time and by the time the kids are adults it will most likely be obsolete. Should we teach calligraphy as well?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

They dropped cursive here over 7 years ago.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I think it should be done away with to be honest, it's a waste of time and by the time the kids are adults it will most likely be obsolete. Should we teach calligraphy as well?
    They do at my kids' school... to the older elementary kids.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Educators should be realistic and provide kids with tools that will be needed in the future. What's next teaching them how to type on manual typewriters?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Educators should be realistic and provide kids with tools that will be needed in the future. What's next teaching them how to type on manual typewriters?
    I agree with you. Cursive can be taught at home by parents. It's a waste of time/money at school.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Actually yes! Typing on manual typewriters produces better more careful & detail oriented students that spell better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    So much for "FORWARD". Just make your mark when signing documents.
    When my sons private school tried to eliminate cursive, the parents, myself included, demanded they continue to teach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Actually yes! Typing on manual typewriters produces better more careful & detail oriented students that spell better!

I prefer teaching students correctly on technologies they will actually use in their lifetime.
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

It's a lot easier (IMO) to forge a signature if it's printed than if it's in cursive. As a child I loved to try to write like all my sisters. Each one had a very distinct cursive writing. I would hate to see kids not taught this anymore.

I prefer teaching students correctly on technologies they will actually use in their lifetime.
    No reason not to do both!

My kids are bummed they aren't learning cursive. It was sort of unofficially and very quietly dropped several years ago here.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    What will become of the pseudo-art/science of handwriting analysis?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast