1048 users online (226 members and 822 guests)  

Websleuths News

Navajo code talker from World War II dies

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/us/nav...html?hpt=hp_t3

Navajo code talker from World War II dies
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    updated 6:19 AM EDT, Fri November 2, 2012

Navajo Code Talkers attend the 2011 Citi Military Appreciation Day event at Citi Pond in New York City on November 11, 2011

(CNN) -- George Smith, one of the Navajo code talkers who helped the U.S. military outfox the Japanese during World War II by sending messages in their obscure language, has died, the president of the Navajo Nation said.

"This news has saddened me," Ben Shelly, the Navajo president, said in a post Wednesday on his Facebook page. "Our Navajo code talkers have been real life heroes to generations of Navajo people."...

These guys were awesome. I think this says it all from the article;

...Military authorities chose Navajo as a code language because it was almost impossible for a non-Navajo to learn and had no written form. It was the only code the Japanese never managed to crack.

The Navajo code talkers participated in every assault the U.S. Marines carried out in the Pacific between 1942 and 1945....

So sad to see them all dying. Seems therrer was a thread on another Code-Talker dying not too long ago.

RIP, Mr. Smith.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    So sad to see them all dying. Seems therrer was a thread on another Code-Talker dying not too long ago.

RIP, Mr. Smith.
    They're all hitting that age. It's amazing that the British figured out how to break the Enigma machine's codes, the Germans were able to crack British codes the U.S. broke Japanese codes and yet the only code anyone couldn't break was Navajo. That was a HUGE contribution to the war and helped win several battles.

May God salute him for his service.

"This news has saddened me," Ben Shelly, the Navajo president, said in a post Wednesday on his Facebook page. "Our Navajo code talkers have been real life heroes to generations of Navajo people."...
    ...as well as all Indian peoples and this country. The Navajo [Dine] Code Talkers saved this country.

Mr. George Smith, pilamaye for your service to this country; safe home, George, Mitakuye Oyasin.

The double vowels and inflection, as well as the orthography, was an unbreakable code.
    http://www.native-languages.org/navajo_words.htm

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    ...as well as all Indian peoples and this country. The Navajo [Dine] Code Talkers saved this country.

Mr. George Smith, pilamaye for your service to this country; safe home, George, Mitakuye Oyasin.

The double vowels and inflection, as well as the orthography, was an unbreakable code.
    http://www.native-languages.org/navajo_words.htm
    BBM

I wouldn't disagree with that. Others obviously helped greatly, but if the Japanese had been able to crack codes in the Pacific the war would have had a lot more American casualties and islands lost. I'm just so gassed by them being the only code that couldn't be broken.

Godspeed, my hero. For what you gave, and what you accomplished, be seated at the right hand of the One that is Love. In any language, what you did was a miracle, and a huge blessing; saving countless lives - both Allied and Japanese - has earned you all respect and love.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

Thank you, George Smith, for the invaluable service you provided in WWII.

Mother/Father
    Source
    I come
    my mind
    beats like
    a restless
    drum
    from You
    I flow
    back to You
    I go
    teach me
    what to
    forget
    & know.
    - Conrad Levasseur -
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    Thank you, George Smith, for the invaluable service you provided in WWII.

Mother/Father
    Source
    I come
    my mind
    beats like
    a restless
    drum
    from You
    I flow
    back to You
    I go
    teach me
    what to
    forget
    & know.
    - Conrad Levasseur -
    Your post brought tears to my eyes; George Smith knows all the secrets now and I am sure he is smiling.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Mine too. May they all be remembered for their service. Thank you Mr. Smith, Sir.
    And to think the government tried to take away their native tongue with their mandatory schools and teachings before WWII. May his spirit soar.