Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/01/us/navajo-code-talker-dies/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Navajo code talker from World War II dies
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 6:19 AM EDT, Fri November 2, 2012

121102032641-navajo-code-talkers-story-top.jpg

Navajo Code Talkers attend the 2011 Citi Military Appreciation Day event at Citi Pond in New York City on November 11, 2011

(CNN) -- George Smith, one of the Navajo code talkers who helped the U.S. military outfox the Japanese during World War II by sending messages in their obscure language, has died, the president of the Navajo Nation said.

"This news has saddened me," Ben Shelly, the Navajo president, said in a post Wednesday on his Facebook page. "Our Navajo code talkers have been real life heroes to generations of Navajo people."...

These guys were awesome. I think this says it all from the article;

...Military authorities chose Navajo as a code language because it was almost impossible for a non-Navajo to learn and had no written form. It was the only code the Japanese never managed to crack.

The Navajo code talkers participated in every assault the U.S. Marines carried out in the Pacific between 1942 and 1945....

So sad to see them all dying. Seems therrer was a thread on another Code-Talker dying not too long ago. :(

RIP, Mr. Smith. :rose:

So sad to see them all dying. Seems therrer was a thread on another Code-Talker dying not too long ago. :(

RIP, Mr. Smith. :rose:

They're all hitting that age. It's amazing that the British figured out how to break the Enigma machine's codes, the Germans were able to crack British codes the U.S. broke Japanese codes and yet the only code anyone couldn't break was Navajo. That was a HUGE contribution to the war and helped win several battles.

May God salute him for his service.

"This news has saddened me," Ben Shelly, the Navajo president, said in a post Wednesday on his Facebook page. "Our Navajo code talkers have been real life heroes to generations of Navajo people."...
...as well as all Indian peoples and this country. The Navajo [Dine] Code Talkers saved this country.

Mr. George Smith, pilamaye for your service to this country; safe home, George, Mitakuye Oyasin.

The double vowels and inflection, as well as the orthography, was an unbreakable code. :)
http://www.native-languages.org/navajo_words.htm

...as well as all Indian peoples and this country. The Navajo [Dine] Code Talkers saved this country.

Mr. George Smith, pilamaye for your service to this country; safe home, George, Mitakuye Oyasin.

The double vowels and inflection, as well as the orthography, was an unbreakable code. :)
http://www.native-languages.org/navajo_words.htm

BBM

I wouldn't disagree with that. Others obviously helped greatly, but if the Japanese had been able to crack codes in the Pacific the war would have had a lot more American casualties and islands lost. I'm just so gassed by them being the only code that couldn't be broken.

Godspeed, my hero. For what you gave, and what you accomplished, be seated at the right hand of the One that is Love. In any language, what you did was a miracle, and a huge blessing; saving countless lives - both Allied and Japanese - has earned you all respect and love.

Best-
Herding Cats

Thank you, George Smith, for the invaluable service you provided in WWII.

Mother/Father
Source
I come
my mind
beats like
a restless
drum
from You
I flow
back to You
I go
teach me
what to
forget
& know.
- Conrad Levasseur -

Thank you, George Smith, for the invaluable service you provided in WWII.

Mother/Father
Source
I come
my mind
beats like
a restless
drum
from You
I flow
back to You
I go
teach me
what to
forget
& know.
- Conrad Levasseur -

Your post brought tears to my eyes; George Smith knows all the secrets now and I am sure he is smiling. :)

Mine too. May they all be remembered for their service. Thank you Mr. Smith, Sir.
And to think the government tried to take away their native tongue with their mandatory schools and teachings before WWII. May his spirit soar. :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back