Canadian Drugstore Chain Pulls Plug On Christmas Music

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
It's too early for Christmas music, Canadian drugstore chain says

Shoppers Drug Mart pulls music from stores after hearing complaints

Author: By Brad Lendon CNN

Published On: Nov 05 2012 10:35:48 AM EST Updated On: Nov 05 2012 10:47:04 AM EST
(CNN) -
It's a question most of us seem to have pondered at some point: When should stores start on the Christmas season?

For one Canadian drugstore chain, the first week in November is too soon, at least for the sounds of the season.

Shoppers Drug Mart pulled Christmas music from its almost 1,200 stores across Canada at midnight Friday after hearing complaints from customers that they weren't quite ready for the season to be jolly...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ays/-/1719418/17269330/-/7inbqjz/-/index.html

Well, I can't say it's a bad idea. The first week of November really is too early. Especially with everyone having economic issues, and the gift giving of the season becoming something to dread.

I am relieved that they are just postponing it. After reading the headline, I thought they were pulling it out of the stores for politically correct anti-religious reasons. Whewww.

I like Christmas, but doing it early is just takes the meaning away from Christmas.

I wish this was the case everywhere, by the time Christmas rolls around I am so sick of the same music in every store and on TV. I think three weeks before Christmas is enough time to get the message out. We all know it's coming, we don't need constant reminders. I think it's stressful and really depressing to those who can't afford to give their children the Christmas they would like. Good job Canada drugstore.

Canada is so sensible!

I swear if I hear Bing Crosby crooning white Chritmas again, someone's getting punched lol.

We had a radio station that I listen to hear locally. They started playing Christmas music last year before thanksgiving. I emailed the station and told them I would not be listening to their station. I felt they should have at least let us give thanks then celebrate Christmas. They sent me a message back we are sorry you are leaving blah, blah. Never really said why they started playing so soon. All other years before they did not start playing till day after thanksgiving and then played all the way through Christmas nothing but Christmas music.

I so agree. I am not opposed to Christmas music, but let's be frank: most stations and stores only play selections from about 50 songs. There are hundreds more out there, but they are usually only done by choirs and schools. (I know this because I've written quite a few and they are done every season.)

The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas is plenty of time to play those 50 songs many, many times.

Seems the retailers are getting a clue.

405152_10151309064419314_1887048708_n.jpg

My mom and I were just discussing this topic this morning. I went to the mall yesterday and couldn't believe they were already playing Christmas music. Same thing with the one radio station that plays continuous Christmas music. Last year it started right after Thanksgiving...this year, right after Halloween.

They could have that music qued (sp) up and ready for Black Friday. We don't need to hear it now (stressing us out about where are we going to come up with the money for gifts and what are we going to get dear Susan that has everything).

I know Christmas doesn't and shouldn't be all about gift giving but I do enjoy giving at that time of year.

Seems the retailers are getting a clue.

405152_10151309064419314_1887048708_n.jpg

In my neck of the woods, Nordstrom has always waited until after Thanksgiving to have their stores decorated for Christmas and/or to offer specialty holiday merchandise.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but local Hallmark stores preview new ornaments in July. After that, more and more holiday merchandise hits the shelves and by Halloween, more than half the store displays are Christmas-related, i.e. boxed cards, gift wrap/bags, holiday party goods, candles, candy, etc. I don't enjoy going to stores that push the holiday season so early.

I guess I'm in the minority here because I can't wait for Christmas music to start.

There is a local station that plays it 24/7 but they never start it at the same time every year. Last year I believe they started it November 1st but they must have gotten complaints because they aren't playing it this year yet.

I can't get enough of Christmas and I can't wait! :D

In my neck of the woods, Nordstrom has always waited until after Thanksgiving to have their stores decorated for Christmas and/or to offer specialty holiday merchandise.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but local Hallmark stores preview new ornaments in July. After that, more and more holiday merchandise hits the shelves and by Halloween, more than half the store displays are Christmas-related, i.e. boxed cards, gift wrap/bags, holiday party goods, candles, candy, etc. I don't enjoy going to stores that push the holiday season so early.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you here. I guess I don't necessarily want the stores playing Christmas music this early and putting out the displays this early is annoying. When I think of the music, I'm picturing what I listen to on the radio, and that's a choice. I can start my Christmas music whenever I want. If I don't want to hear it, I can change the channel. It's a little different when you're shopping and you have to be in a particular store to buy what you need to buy.

I am relieved that they are just postponing it. After reading the headline, I thought they were pulling it out of the stores for politically correct anti-religious reasons. Whewww.

I thought the same thing. But you know, that day is coming.

I find the music nice even when I am spending money I don't have on Christmas gifts. There is so little left of my childhood and young adult memories I hate to see the small things go, like Christmas music and people lighting up their houses with Christmas lights....But I will say I absolutely can't stand how early the stores bring in ALL of the seasons- Halloween stuff at the end of August? Nah...

abbie:waitasec:

I think it is just a few nit picking individuals who complained
They probably only go to the store once a week and spend maybe 1/2 hour there.
As long as the music isn't too loud LET THEM PLAY IT.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back