1088 users online (200 members and 888 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Australia - Camberwell, Vic, Male killed by train, Sep'12- Name withheld

Backpackers and hostel owners could hold the key to identifying a young man, possibly an international traveller, who was hit by a train and killed in Melbourne's east last month.

More than three weeks after the man, believed to be in his early 20s, died near East Camberwell railway station, police are no closer to establishing his identity and no one has come forward to report him missing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ki...#ixzz2Bb6spJV2

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Do-yo...89024391202138

Many thanks to FlashingLights for submitting this case to us.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 01-22-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Kimster & FlashingLights....here's hoping his relatives are found soon!

I notice in the report it states the brand of jeans he was wearing are "believed to be from Sweden". I'm wondering how police came up with that country. A quick Google says the brand was originally founded in Paris by an Israeli couple & Israel has quite a few of their stores. Something about the guy, to me, looks as though he could be either French or Israeli.

In that previous report it says he's believed to be early 20's....this one states between 18 -27....

He is identified as being between 18 and 27 years of age, 167 centimetres tall, with a slim build, short brown hair

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-0...site=melbourne

Also adding this as a couple of lines aren't in the first report above...

He was wearing jeans with light blue waterproof pants over the top, an Athletic brand T-shirt, with an Athletic brand jumper.

He also wore a black and yellow jumper, a black-hooded jumper with a white stripe and was carrying a number of items including an unregistered Myki, a black wallet containing a piece of paper with a number of eight digit combinations on it and a pocket-sized note book with the front pages torn out

http://progress-leader.whereilive.co...st-camberwell/

This is sad -- I wonder if it was a suicide

he looks like missing daniel james o'keeffe .. id send a link but my phone dislikes me...alot

Here is the FB page for Daniel James O'Keeffe. I agree that they bear a resemblance.

http://www.facebook.com/dancomehome

It looks like O'Keefe has done a LOT of traveling prior to going missing, so perhaps that would explain the Isreali/France sold pants?

I just notice on Daniel's FB page a family member has commented that they are aware of this UID and it is NOT Daniel O'Keefe.

ah..ur quicker than me.. thank you though for checking !

Quote Originally Posted by astridxx View Post
    This is sad -- I wonder if it was a suicide
    I'm presuming police may be treating his death as a suicide as the reports include crisis support information. Majority of Aussie reports about suicides include that type of info.

ETA: if his intention was to suicide, that may have something to do with him having no form of id in his wallet.
    Last edited by marlywings; 11-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Considering all the layers of clothing he was wearing I'm wondering if he was homeless. If he'd been staying in any type of backpacker accomodation, one would think, by now the owners would have called police if he'd left any personal belongings behind.

Victoria police issued another appeal today although it doesn't say too much more than the previous reports.

Police renew appeal to identify deceased Camberwell East man

Friday, 09 November 2012 04:50

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...rwell-east-man

This man is not Daniel O'Keefe.

Some additional information on this dead young man are:-

1. His age has now been updated to anywhere between 22yo-30yo.
    2. The jacket he wore is a European brand called "Elvine"

I'm pretty sure personally that this young man committed suicide. From memory the alcove at the East Camberwell railway station lays at the western end of the station, along the Lilydale/Belgrave line which runs from an east to west direction. The alcove is between the end of the station building and the wire fence juts out of view from the rest of the station. The alcove would be up near the driver's carriage, but not in the view of the driver, it would be more in view of the second carriage. If this young man's intention was to commit suicide, this station is about the quietest along that whole route, it's a very little station with not a lot of traffic through it. It would be very easy for someone to hide out of view in that little alcove, wait until nobody is around, then jump out. I doubt two people could hide in that alcove. However, all of my saying this is based on a very distant memory of that station, how it was many years ago, but I doubt it would have changed much over the years.

So if he did commit suicide, one would have to ask why would he remove all of his ID. It would have to be because he didn't want anyone to work out who he is and notify his family. Why not? I'd have to assume to do this, that he must be feeling very angry with his family.

Given that apparently he was spotted at different charity food outlets before he died, one can only assume that he was either destitute or near destitute. If this was the case, I can only assume that he must have been estranged from his family.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast