Identified! Australia - Camberwell, Vic, Male killed by train, Sep'12- Name withheld

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Backpackers and hostel owners could hold the key to identifying a young man, possibly an international traveller, who was hit by a train and killed in Melbourne's east last month.

More than three weeks after the man, believed to be in his early 20s, died near East Camberwell railway station, police are no closer to establishing his identity and no one has come forward to report him missing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/k...s-who-he-is-20121008-278ba.html#ixzz2Bb6spJV2

art-353-two-300x0.jpg

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Do-you-know-this-man-Help-find-his-mother-Share-Like/289024391202138

Many thanks to FlashingLights for submitting this case to us.

Thanks Kimster & FlashingLights....here's hoping his relatives are found soon!

I notice in the report it states the brand of jeans he was wearing are "believed to be from Sweden". I'm wondering how police came up with that country. A quick Google says the brand was originally founded in Paris by an Israeli couple & Israel has quite a few of their stores. Something about the guy, to me, looks as though he could be either French or Israeli.

Also adding this as a couple of lines aren't in the first report above...

He was wearing jeans with light blue waterproof pants over the top, an Athletic brand T-shirt, with an Athletic brand jumper.

He also wore a black and yellow jumper, a black-hooded jumper with a white stripe and was carrying a number of items including an unregistered Myki, a black wallet containing a piece of paper with a number of eight digit combinations on it and a pocket-sized note book with the front pages torn out

http://progress-leader.whereilive.c...ified-man-killed-by-train-in-east-camberwell/

This is sad -- I wonder if it was a suicide :(

he looks like missing daniel james o'keeffe .. id send a link but my phone dislikes me...alot

It looks like O'Keefe has done a LOT of traveling prior to going missing, so perhaps that would explain the Isreali/France sold pants?

I just notice on Daniel's FB page a family member has commented that they are aware of this UID and it is NOT Daniel O'Keefe.

ah..ur quicker than me.. thank you though for checking !

This is sad -- I wonder if it was a suicide :(

I'm presuming police may be treating his death as a suicide as the reports include crisis support information. Majority of Aussie reports about suicides include that type of info.

ETA: if his intention was to suicide, that may have something to do with him having no form of id in his wallet.

Considering all the layers of clothing he was wearing I'm wondering if he was homeless. If he'd been staying in any type of backpacker accomodation, one would think, by now the owners would have called police if he'd left any personal belongings behind.

Victoria police issued another appeal today although it doesn't say too much more than the previous reports.

Police renew appeal to identify deceased Camberwell East man

Friday, 09 November 2012 04:50

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/mor...peal-to-identify-deceased-camberwell-east-man

This man is not Daniel O'Keefe.

Some additional information on this dead young man are:-

1. His age has now been updated to anywhere between 22yo-30yo.
2. The jacket he wore is a European brand called "Elvine"

I'm pretty sure personally that this young man committed suicide. From memory the alcove at the East Camberwell railway station lays at the western end of the station, along the Lilydale/Belgrave line which runs from an east to west direction. The alcove is between the end of the station building and the wire fence juts out of view from the rest of the station. The alcove would be up near the driver's carriage, but not in the view of the driver, it would be more in view of the second carriage. If this young man's intention was to commit suicide, this station is about the quietest along that whole route, it's a very little station with not a lot of traffic through it. It would be very easy for someone to hide out of view in that little alcove, wait until nobody is around, then jump out. I doubt two people could hide in that alcove. However, all of my saying this is based on a very distant memory of that station, how it was many years ago, but I doubt it would have changed much over the years.

So if he did commit suicide, one would have to ask why would he remove all of his ID. It would have to be because he didn't want anyone to work out who he is and notify his family. Why not? I'd have to assume to do this, that he must be feeling very angry with his family.

Given that apparently he was spotted at different charity food outlets before he died, one can only assume that he was either destitute or near destitute. If this was the case, I can only assume that he must have been estranged from his family.

I wonder how well the police searched the area. I'm tempted to go and have a look around. There's some very old disused buildings in that area, possibly suitable areas for squats for homeless people. I wonder if the police checked them out properly. Probably not would be my suspicion. Would anyone be interested in a current photograph of the "alcove" if I can work out where it is?

Oh and interestingly, my googling indicates that East Camberwell railway station is known on google at least as an "unmanned station", whereas most of the others along that line would be manned by rail staff.

If he's been travelling, his family might not know where to look for him. I hope that someone can help them connect the dots

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back