AZ - Joyce Sterrenberg & Tim McKillop, both 20, murdered, Scottsdale, 24 May 1962

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Man, 77, jailed for 37 years for murdering young couple, FREED after
'ex-wife lied about his confession to distract from sex ring scandal'
(Daily Mail)
• Bill Macumber sentenced to life for murders of Joyce Sterrenberg and Tim McKillop, both 20, whose bodies were dumped in Arizona desert
• Mr Macumber's extraordinary strength of character and grace are the reason he made it through the last 37 years' - attorney Jordan Green
• Ex-wife Carole Kempfert told superiors her ex-husband confessed while she worked at the sheriff's office
A man, who has been freed following 37 years in prison, was found guilty of murder in 1974 after his ex-wife testified against him to distract from her own involvement in a sex ring, it was claimed.

Bill Macumber, 77, pleaded no contest on Wednesday to two counts of second-degree murder and was released. He left court with his son Ron Kempfert and other family members who have worked tirelessly to free him.

Mr Macumber, a father-of-three who worked as an engineer, was given two life sentences in 1975 for the murders of Joyce Sterrenberg and Tim McKillop, both 20. The young couple were shot dead next to their car in the Arizona desert 13 years earlier.
---
the rest of the story, with pictures and a video, at link above

What a sad story. I wonder what the ex wife has been up to all these years?

Hmmm. Good thing he wasn't given the death penalty.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/2014/06/04/william-macumber-released-prison-years-jailed/9943619/

William Macumber, who was released from an Arizona prison in late 2012 after serving 37 years for a notorious double murder he insisted he never committed, is behind bars again after being arrested in Colorado on charges of sexually assaulting a young female relative...

Ronald Macumber said Tuesday that young relatives in his family had at first been excited about William Macumber's move to Colorado. But by August, he said, they told Ronald they didn't want to be around William anymore. Court records say the abuse occurred between April and August 2013.

Ronald Macumber said he confronted his father. His father's responses made Ronald feel he needed to kick his father out of the house.

Looks like he was in the right place for all of those years....

Looks like he was in the right place for all of those years....

not necessarily, being in prison with monsters for nearly 40 years can create a monster.

In fact it is rarely a surprise to me when an innocent person lands back in prison for something, they are released with no supports whatsoever, they don't even get the support other convicts who are released. They at least get a bus ticket and there are half way houses for them. An exonerated man is not eligible for them because he is innocent and not a convicted felon.

It is one reason I am so leery of charging children as adults. I would much rather have someone move next door at 21 who had been through therapy etc. than one released at 40 who only has learned to commit crimes and become tough, never learned to deal with society.

There needs to be more help for exonerated men and women.

not necessarily, being in prison with monsters for nearly 40 years can create a monster.

If you read the article he was NOT found innocent of the murders. The case was likely to be retried and the evidence was so old the state allowed him to plea bargain down to no contest with the punishment being time served.

Also, I don't think you can be convicted just on someone saying you confessed and no further evidence. I have read several true crime novels (green river running red, Ann rule for ex) that mentioned cops got TONS of claims from ppl saying they knew the killer, ex wives and even curent wives especially. It appear to be a common phenomenon that cops are aware, and have to pick thru.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

weird that his son worked so hard to get him released only to be betrayed

this seems like a very complicated family dynamic

I hope the children can heal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members