GUILTY OH - Isaac Brothers-Bartholomew, 18 mos, starved to death, Erie County, 6 Nov 2012

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
911 call on 'stiff as a board' toddler leads to body, malnourished siblings found in Ohio home

A mother's frantic plea for help for her disabled 18-month-old son — "He's stiff as a board" — sent an ambulance crew to a reclusive family's home where they found the undersized boy and six other children, most malnourished, according to a 911 tape released Monday.

"He's got medical issues," the mother told a 911 operator Nov. 6 when she and her husband awoke and found the toddler's lifeless body.

"My husband just went inside," she said on the tape released by the Erie County sheriff's department in this lakeside community between Cleveland and Toledo. "He's stiff as a board."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/1...malnourished-siblings-found-in/#ixzz2C3qaMLWB

She made the 911 call on Nov. 6. Then she says they were having a halloween party for the kids and stayed up late and took a nap the next day. How long did they sleep? From the the 31st to the 6th? The baby died of malnutrition and dehydration. Geeze, they had the children taken away before for keeping them in pens. They should have never gotten them back. The 6 yr old weighed only 23lbs. My 1 yr old grand daughter weighs that!

She made the 911 call on Nov. 6. Then she says they were having a halloween party for the kids and stayed up late and took a nap the next day. How long did they sleep? From the the 31st to the 6th? The baby died of malnutrition and dehydration. Geeze, they had the children taken away before for keeping them in pens. They should have never gotten them back. The 6 yr old weighed only 23lbs. My 1 yr old grand daughter weighs that!

the article was poorly written. Another family had their children taken away and spent 2 years in prison. I believe the trial was in Erie County but the family lived in Huron County.

to quote article....

Erie County was the scene of the emotionally charged trial of a husband and wife convicted of forcing some of their 11 adopted, special-needs children to sleep in cages. Both served two years in prison and were released last year.

The couple lost custody of the children in 2006. They said they used wire and wood enclosures at their home in Norwalk to protect children they said acted up and were destructive.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/1...malnourished-siblings-found-in/#ixzz2C4GESYF2

The parents had said the child had medical problems, but check of the child’s history raised some flags.

“We did some checking in the medical records and learned that the child hadn’t been seen by a doctor in 8 months,” Oliver said. “We’ve kind of got some conflicting statements.”

Oliver said the house was in poor condition and that all of the children were medically evaluated.

“We were definitely concerned with the malnourishment,” he said.

It is unclear if charges will be filed yet as the investigation is ongoing.

“When it is complete, we’ll definitely confer with the prosecutor’s office,” he said.

http://www.morningjournal.com/artic...50a07da74d2ab978198720.txt?viewmode=fullstory

This is so heart-breaking....were there not any agencies checking on these kids??? :banghead::banghead:

Stories like this infuriate me..... Torture, being ALLOWED by these agencies we citizens pay GOOD MONEY for. CPS laws NEED TO BE REEVALUTATED NOW!! No tolerance for inadequate parenting!!!

No charges were immediately filed in the case, but the six children, most with physical or mental disabilities or both, were removed from the home and four were sent to the hospital.

Where did these kids come from? Surely this couple did not birth 6 children that virtually all had mental or physical disabilities, did they?

"School officials confirmed today three of the family's seven children were enrolled in special education programs with the school district. At no point did school staff suspect the children were neglected."

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/starving-kids/2808621

this is a very good article.

please keep in mind that the school system would not be providing services (and may never have seen him during their visits) to the young child that was found deceased.

Erie County Board of Developmental Disabilities should be the main agency providing services and oversite.

If you noticed in the article...

"Brothers also said the children's grandmother was their home healthcare provider"

that tells me that the child was on a federally/state funded waiver for services and that grandma should have been getting paid to provide services

This is going to be a mess for the local LE to figure everything (all the agencies providing services/monitoring).....hopefully State agencies are involved

NOT saying this is happening....post is for pondering and FYI

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/SSI.html

$710/SSI per person = $8529/year

$8729 X 7 = $59,703 year - don't know if all 7 children were receiving SSI payment - NOT VERIFIED INFORMATION - JMO/MOO, ETC...

-----

Oliver said. The parents do not work, he added. Deputies are investigating where the couple got their money from, but Oliver believes they were getting money from the government benefits.

http://www.morningjournal.com/artic...50a32a8b56237803011410.txt?viewmode=fullstory

It is very costly to care for medical fragile disabled children and also very emotionally and physically demanding. It doesn't seem the parents were open to receiving on-going support services....there are federal/state funded programs/waivers to help parents care for their children at home....so sad

Apparently what ever money the parents were receiving wasn't going towards buying food or the food they did purchase wasn't going to feed the children.

How in the world can a six year old child only weight 23 lbs? My one month old granddaughter weights 9 lbs.

JMO

Where did these kids come from? Surely this couple did not birth 6 children that virtually all had mental or physical disabilities, did they?

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did. Out of the five I gave birth to, four of them have developmental disabilities or physical disabilities. Of my two step children, both have developmental delays. I don't see anything odd about 6, 7, 15 kids all born to the same family having delays or problems of some kind.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did. Out of the five I gave birth to, four of them have developmental disabilities or physical disabilities. Of my two step children, both have developmental delays. I don't see anything odd about 6, 7, 15 kids all born to the same family having delays or problems of some kind.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and not trying to get OT but did you live in the same house or town when you gave birth to all your children?

Also do you know if others in your area have had similar problems with their children?

I think I would be looking at such things as maybe the water source if that were true. Erin Brockovich type of thing where chemicals could be contaminating the water and causing problems if you know what I mean.

JMO

Sorry to hear about your troubles and not trying to get OT but did you live in the same house or town when you gave birth to all your children?

Also do you know if others in your area have had similar problems with their children?

I think I would be looking at such things as maybe the water source if that were true. Erin Brockovich type of thing where chemicals could be contaminating the water and causing problems if you know what I mean.

JMO

I was living in the same city and our child morbidity and mortality rates here are through the roof. We were a GM city, the auto industry built us, and fumes from the factories and freeways are still the only thing you can usually smell on any given day. I am surrounded by superfund sites, there's a couple here, several in Detroit, even one in little bitty Gaines....I'm sure that has something to do with it. After GM left, the only thing that was safe to put where the bigger factories had been was a landfill. That alone tells you something about the contamination. I have a friend that has had four children, they are all through the disability spectrum, and she herself has had surgery to remove a type of cancer that isn't typically seen in women under 40. She was 28 when diagnosed. Her sister has had three children, one of them died of a siezure disorder, and her other two aren't expected to live past the age of five.

Yeah, there's something going on here.

All seven children are the couple’s biological children and were home schooled

http://www.morningjournal.com/artic...50a32a8b56237803011410.txt?viewmode=fullstory

unbelievable....why would you keep having children? I understanding having a disabled child and doing everything possible to make their life enjoyable and normal.

Well if they are paying to feed, raise and insure their kids then they can birth 20 disabled babies if they want to. If the taxpayer is footing the bill for medical care and SSI that just makes me mad. :furious:

From November 2013:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/starving-kids/4855456

James Brothers, 34, and Adrienne Bartholomew, 35, pleaded guilty in August to two counts of felonious child endangering and three counts of misdemeanor child endangering...

Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Roger Binette sentenced each of them to five years in prison and one year in the county jail. Brothers will serve a consecutive sentence, while Bartholomew will serve a concurrent one. This means Brothers will serve a full six years, while his wife will be released after three years...

The children suffer from a rare genetic disorder that affects their ability to retain healthy fat deposits, which was a key component in the pair’s defense, according to court testimony.

http://www.nbc24.com/news/story.aspx?id=974286#.VcYcEc78FWY

The grandmother, whose baby grandson died of malnutrition, has been sentenced to two years in prison after pleading guilty to child endangerment.

Debra Nelson was a home care nurse for the boy and some of his siblings...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back