750 users online (109 members and 641 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opened 10.24, TX toll 130, its 85 mph limit fastest in country, records 1st fatality

Texas 130 sees first death in 85-mph zone (San Antonio Express-News)
    A driver was killed on the Texas 130 toll road Sunday afternoon, in what is believed to be the first fatality on the corridor's new segment since it opened last month.

The new Texas 130 segment, which stretches from south of Austin to Interstate 10 in Seguin, boasts an 85 mph speed limit — the fastest in the country.

Investigators still have not determined if speed was a factor in the crash that killed Martha Melinda Harris, 60. She was entering the southbound lanes of the toll road from U.S. 183 when she was struck by a Chevrolet Tahoe headed south on Texas 130, said Mustang Ridge Police Chief Michael Gonzales.
    ---
    Though there have been reports of vehicles colliding with animals on the road, including feral hogs, none were involved in Sunday's crash. Gonzales said investigators are still trying to determine the drivers' speeds but believe the Tahoe may have been in the 70 mph range or above, since it was already on the toll road.
    ---
    much more at link above

Why is this necessary? We're talking about an 80-mile stretch of road, so the 85-mph speed limit saves you what, 20 minutes, if you drive the entire stretch? (And that's assuming it isn't rush hour, since half the road runs near Austin and you may not be driving the full speed limit.)

And that only gets you to I-10, where you hit San Antonio traffic.

I remember when this was proposed and I lived in S.A., it sounded oddly feasible as Austin rush hour traffic can make one gnaw at one's hand (the one on the wheel!) it's so dire; I was fortunate in that I-10 doesn't become badly gnarled till well after my old exit. But 85?! Not that I am a stranger to that speed, but an 85 limit = people automatically setting the cruise control at 90 (if not above) and the whole road at one mishap becoming a graveyard of metal. I imagine there are - sadly - many more deaths to come.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I remember when this was proposed and I lived in S.A., it sounded oddly feasible as Austin rush hour traffic can make one gnaw at one's hand (the one on the wheel!) it's so dire; I was fortunate in that I-10 doesn't become badly gnarled till well after my old exit. But 85?! Not that I am a stranger to that speed, but an 85 limit = people automatically setting the cruise control at 90 (if not above) and the whole road at one mishap becoming a graveyard of metal. I imagine there are - sadly - many more deaths to come.
    But won't that very rush-hour crunch in Austin make it impossible to actually go 85 mph? Or is the toll road far enough out that fewer people will use it?

(I don't know Texas except for the inside of its airports.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    But won't that very rush-hour crunch in Austin make it impossible to actually go 85 mph? Or is the toll road far enough out that fewer people will use it?

(I don't know Texas except for the inside of its airports.)
    Not sure, can't recall the exact location of 130. I think they thought the "toll road" feature would mean a certain lessening of the traffic using it. I think they probably thought wrong.

Here's a video of a Cadillac going 220 MPH on that road. This was done with permission, one day before that section was opened to the public. The cars on the other side of the road are all police cars.
    Last edited by KateB; 06-16-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

How are you supposed to merge onto a fwy where everyone is going 80 to 90 mph?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    That would be my question!

very quickly?
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

Quote Originally Posted by Confusion View Post
    very quickly?
    That's what I was thinking. "While chanting novenas to God Above."

I've merged quite a few times at about that speed on I-10. It's an adventure.

God Bless Texas. We need 85 here. I mean, I'm going it anyway! lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I had a feeling that something like this would start happening. I just think that is to fast. It's o.k. for the truckers because that's approx. the speed they usually do,and they are experienced. But you get some young kids that just got their license and it's like the Daytona 500 to them. To me it's a bad idea and I wonder how many lives will be lost before they agree with me?
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Going 85 isn't so bad, until you're suddenly behind someone going 45 without an opening in the other lane to pull into.
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

Exactly. Particularly at night when it's so much harder to estimate the speed of headlights approaching from the rear.

I'm not saying we don't go 80 mph at times here in California. But at least our laws discourage the practice!

T4Tide, I thought your Rangers were famous for ticketing people going even one mile over the limit. That's what we were told in Oklahoma.

Or is that just on I-40?

I thought when they raised us to 70/75 on the other part of 130/45 it was to fast. We usually take 130 when we go to Buda but I think I'll stick to I-35. Heck, even thinking on that TXDOT raised the speed to 70 except for the small fraction where you have the upper/lower decks, which I think is still 55.

The article in the OP makes a good point tho, since they built the toll thru the country side there is an awful lot of deer. I would hate to hit one going 85.

JMHO

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast