Holocaust survivor unites with family of benefactor

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/1...berated-him/cbkhMQZDqQWkahy0rUN2aI/story.html

By Sarah Schweitzer
Globe Staff
November 12, 2012

Some 67 years ago, a broken, emaciated boy looked up and saw an American soldier sitting astride a tank outside the gates of Dachau, the 10th concentration camp the boy had endured during the long war.

The hazel-eyed soldier hopped down and handed the boy rations he was eating. The boy ate with his fingers before dropping to his knees and kissing the soldier’s boots. A radio crackled with orders for the soldier to move on as part of the liberation effort. But first, the soldier hoisted the boy up and handed him a handkerchief decorated with a 48-star American flag.

Yesterday, clutching that flag in a velvet pouch, the boy, now an 81-year-old man of Newton, thanked the family of the soldier in person for the first time.

Beautiful story.

This is a great story.

Daily Mail has a video of the presentation at the bottom of its article here.

This story illustrates that we never know how a simple act of kindness can forever change a persons life.

Beautiful story.

The math is driving my nuts though. Am I reading something wrong? This happened in 1945....which was 67 years ago. Child was 10 at the time. By my calculations, he would now be 77....yet the article says he is 81?

Beautiful story.

The math is driving my nuts though. Am I reading something wrong? This happened in 1945....which was 67 years ago. Child was 10 at the time. By my calculations, he would now be 77....yet the article says he is 81?

It doesn't say how old he was. "10th" concentration camp is the only reference to '10' that I read.

In its original article Daily Mail said he was ten, but they're ditzy and also I see have scrubbed that erroneous info now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back