1074 users online (163 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MO - Bethany Deaton, 27, Jackson County, 30 Oct 2012

A religious community whose members studied at the International House of Prayer University in Kansas City, Mo., is under investigation in connection to the sexual assault and death of its leader's wife.

Bethany Ann Deaton, 27, was found dead Oct. 30 in the back of a van in Jackson County, Mo., with a bag over her head, pills next to her body and a note that said Deaton "chose this evil thing."

Police initially considered her death a suicide.

But Micah Moore, 23, last week confessed to killing Deaton, the wife of the community's religious leader, Tyler Deaton, 26. Moore told police that he and others in the group's shared home had sexually assaulted Bethany Deaton, and that he had been instructed by Tyler to kill her, according to police records.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missouri-re...ry?id=17719725

This is a REALLY weird story. It seems like each day, some new info comes out but this is a pretty good summary of the case thus far. Here are a couple more links to local coverage--

http://www.kctv5.com/story/20089845/...-goes-to-court

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city...z/-/index.html

I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. I was listening to a local news station and they had callers that were either members or had experience with IHOP. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICANA View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. I was listening to a local news station and they had callers that were either members or had experience with IHOP. Very interesting.
    Yea I'd think there would be more discussion too.
    Sooo I'm gonna take a leap here and say that tyler, the leader, husband and orchestrater of his wife death is really this controlling and aggressive in his own interpetation of the bible so that he can have sex w/ men then hide behind his wife and the bible? Then Bethany pays the price.? jmo

Just trying to read info about this or tylers version of this religion was eye opening. I've never heard of this section of christianity. I cannot believe how some people interpet and twist a written word.

tyler has a blog. isetmyeyes on blog spot but i could'nt remember my google info to get into it.

I'm glad the perp confessed. I can't believe how easy it is to make it look like suicide. The note alone did'nt sound right to me. 'm glad there is evidence on his ipad, video of assualt on Bethany and poems(!) about it. I don't even want to read those if they come out.

I'm always blown away how humans just follow like cows being herded. Scary.

https://www.facebook.com/deatont/fri...micah.moore.33

suspects facebook. tyler is friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICANA View Post
    I would have liked to have heard this. Is it by chance online anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    I would have liked to have heard this. Is it by chance online anywhere?
    I was listening to 980 am kmbz
    http://www.kmbz.com/Smartphone-Homepage/12045633

Cults give me the creeps. I don't know of another way to describe it! I have a friend whose daughter and family are members of one in Washington state. They are now underground. We don't hear about radical cults as much these days, but they are still out there, believe me.

If this is a cult, and at this point it appears it is, I hope this will break it up and the members will get help so they can lead happy and productive lives.

Name "appeared in error" - uh, whatever.

Tyler Deaton’s name on list of leaders was an error, IHOP says (Kansas City Star)
    ---
    Ever since Bethany Deaton’s murder, IHOP has insisted that Tyler Deaton’s group operated independently and “under a veil of secrecy.”

But a Nov. 4 handout and website posting shows that as of that date — five days after Bethany Deaton’s death — Tyler Deaton was a “division coordinator” on the administrative team of International House of Prayer friendship groups.
    ---
    the story at the link above

Even '“end times”-focused evangelical missions' should do their due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Name "appeared in error" - uh, whatever.

Tyler Deaton’s name on list of leaders was an error, IHOP says (Kansas City Star)

the story at the link above

Even '“end times”-focused evangelical missions' should do their due diligence.
    From your link,

"A neighbor to the house in Grandview where Deaton and other group members lived said Friday that members were in the process of moving out. "

I wonder where in the world these people will go, and if they will separate or stay together..

I hate to hear that IHOP is attracting thousands of young people. And I hate that the leaders are apparently (maybe) willing to lie to save face, instead of admitting that they made a mistake in their judgment of one of their group "leaders."

That is a very interesting article. Cults are scary. Is the whole organization a cult, or did this one man make a cult out of his group?

JMO, all of the above.

[ /QUOTE]
    https://www.facebook.com/deatont/fri...micah.moore.33

suspects facebook. tyler is friend.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully Snipped by me

I'm pretty sure Bethany is a friend also...under her maiden name. Last name begins with L.

I've been reading about the IHOP cult. I find it interesting that one of it's members that left the cult mentioned that they (group leaders) would give the members antidepressants. The ex-member said that more than a year ago. One of the news articles mentioned that BD was given antidepressants before she was sexually assaulted. I don't think this IHOP cult is going to be able to successfully distance it's self from TD's group.

I wonder when they will be arresting TD on conspiracy to commit murder charges, like Charles Manson.

I looked at the Statement of Faith on IHOPKC's website. I see nothing there which indicates the primary organization is a cult.
    http://www.ihopkc.org/about/statement-of-faith/

Still trying to understand what Tyler's role was in IHOPKC. I thought most "cult" leaders try to isolate themselves and their followers from the mainstream Church?

Oh the irony ...
    http://www.ihopkc.org/resources/file...cteristics.pdf
    You are the anchor to my soul, you won't let go ...

Quote Originally Posted by TobyWong* View Post
    I've never heard of this section of christianity. I cannot believe how some people interpet and twist a written word.
    Ugh. Please don't refer to this as Christianity...,

RIP McStays

Quote Originally Posted by teedie2 View Post
    From your link,

"A neighbor to the house in Grandview where Deaton and other group members lived said Friday that members were in the process of moving out. "

I wonder where in the world these people will go, and if they will separate or stay together..

I hate to hear that IHOP is attracting thousands of young people. And I hate that the leaders are apparently (maybe) willing to lie to save face, instead of admitting that they made a mistake in their judgment of one of their group "leaders."

That is a very interesting article. Cults are scary. Is the whole organization a cult, or did this one man make a cult out of his group?

JMO, all of the above.
    I hope someone is keeping tabs on them. I hope deaton does'nt slip away to re-group and evade hopefully pending procesution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast