MO MO - Bethany Deaton, 27, Jackson County, 30 Oct 2012

davehead21

Reaction score
A religious community whose members studied at the International House of Prayer University in Kansas City, Mo., is under investigation in connection to the sexual assault and death of its leader's wife.

Bethany Ann Deaton, 27, was found dead Oct. 30 in the back of a van in Jackson County, Mo., with a bag over her head, pills next to her body and a note that said Deaton "chose this evil thing."

Police initially considered her death a suicide.

But Micah Moore, 23, last week confessed to killing Deaton, the wife of the community's religious leader, Tyler Deaton, 26. Moore told police that he and others in the group's shared home had sexually assaulted Bethany Deaton, and that he had been instructed by Tyler to kill her, according to police records.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missouri-r...ated-slaying-bethany-deaton/story?id=17719725

This is a REALLY weird story. It seems like each day, some new info comes out but this is a pretty good summary of the case thus far. Here are a couple more links to local coverage--

http://www.kctv5.com/story/20089845/suspect-in-slain-nurses-murder-goes-to-court

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-cit...ng/-/11664182/17409986/-/4q0x7rz/-/index.html

I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. I was listening to a local news station and they had callers that were either members or had experience with IHOP. Very interesting.

I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this. I was listening to a local news station and they had callers that were either members or had experience with IHOP. Very interesting.

Yea I'd think there would be more discussion too.
Sooo I'm gonna take a leap here and say that tyler, the leader, husband and orchestrater of his wife death is really this controlling and aggressive in his own interpetation of the bible so that he can have sex w/ men then hide behind his wife and the bible? Then Bethany pays the price.? jmo

Just trying to read info about this or tylers version of this religion was eye opening. I've never heard of this section of christianity. I cannot believe how some people interpet and twist a written word.

tyler has a blog. isetmyeyes on blog spot but i could'nt remember my google info to get into it.

I'm glad the perp confessed. I can't believe how easy it is to make it look like suicide. The note alone did'nt sound right to me. 'm glad there is evidence on his ipad, video of assualt on Bethany and poems(!) about it. I don't even want to read those if they come out.

I'm always blown away how humans just follow like cows being herded. Scary.

https://www.facebook.com/deatont/friends?ft_ref=ddm#!/micah.moore.33

suspects facebook. tyler is friend.

I would have liked to have heard this. Is it by chance online anywhere?

Cults give me the creeps. I don't know of another way to describe it! I have a friend whose daughter and family are members of one in Washington state. They are now underground. We don't hear about radical cults as much these days, but they are still out there, believe me.

If this is a cult, and at this point it appears it is, I hope this will break it up and the members will get help so they can lead happy and productive lives.

Name "appeared in error" - uh, whatever.

Tyler Deaton’s name on list of leaders was an error, IHOP says (Kansas City Star)
---
Ever since Bethany Deaton’s murder, IHOP has insisted that Tyler Deaton’s group operated independently and “under a veil of secrecy.”

But a Nov. 4 handout and website posting shows that as of that date — five days after Bethany Deaton’s death — Tyler Deaton was a “division coordinator” on the administrative team of International House of Prayer friendship groups.
---
the story at the link above

Even '“end times”-focused evangelical missions' should do their due diligence.

Name "appeared in error" - uh, whatever.

Tyler Deaton’s name on list of leaders was an error, IHOP says (Kansas City Star)

the story at the link above

Even '“end times”-focused evangelical missions' should do their due diligence.

From your link,

"A neighbor to the house in Grandview where Deaton and other group members lived said Friday that members were in the process of moving out. "

I wonder where in the world these people will go, and if they will separate or stay together..

I hate to hear that IHOP is attracting thousands of young people. And I hate that the leaders are apparently (maybe) willing to lie to save face, instead of admitting that they made a mistake in their judgment of one of their group "leaders."

That is a very interesting article. Cults are scary. Is the whole organization a cult, or did this one man make a cult out of his group?

JMO, all of the above.

I've been reading about the IHOP cult. I find it interesting that one of it's members that left the cult mentioned that they (group leaders) would give the members antidepressants. The ex-member said that more than a year ago. One of the news articles mentioned that BD was given antidepressants before she was sexually assaulted. I don't think this IHOP cult is going to be able to successfully distance it's self from TD's group.

I wonder when they will be arresting TD on conspiracy to commit murder charges, like Charles Manson.

From your link,

"A neighbor to the house in Grandview where Deaton and other group members lived said Friday that members were in the process of moving out. "

I wonder where in the world these people will go, and if they will separate or stay together..

I hate to hear that IHOP is attracting thousands of young people. And I hate that the leaders are apparently (maybe) willing to lie to save face, instead of admitting that they made a mistake in their judgment of one of their group "leaders."

That is a very interesting article. Cults are scary. Is the whole organization a cult, or did this one man make a cult out of his group?

JMO, all of the above.

I hope someone is keeping tabs on them. I hope deaton does'nt slip away to re-group and evade hopefully pending procesution.

totally a cult. I could never follow any being so exclusively. Especially if most of it's members are to young to have any life experience to have knowledge to lead & mentor. I appreciate the energy young adults have, but I really think you have to live life to to aquire knowledge of how to really live life. If that makes sense. All groups like this target the ignorance of youth. Plus for someone like deaton, he also wants the sexuality of youth. You notice these groups are'nt recruiting the senior set. Which is ironic cause I'd think taregeting seniors might be more finacially benefical.
Almost sounds like scientology. With all the "tell us your inner most secrets"

Deaton needs to be held accountable for what he created in the minds of his followers. Yes the actual murderer needs to be prosecuted but deaton obviously has manipulated and directed the desecration & death of his own wife. Imo

Poor lady.

Lengthy & thorough Kansas City Star article:

Secrets of Tyler Deaton's prayer group emerge
Insiders describe leader Tyler Deaton, whose wife was found dead, as charismatic, controlling.

This Deaton guy had some real psychological problems. He claimed he was gay, but "overcame" it through prayer? Witnesses involved in their prayer circle claim not only was the poor girl sexually assaulted, but other male members engaged in sexual activity with Deaton. He's one really messed up person.

ETA: To clarify, I don't think he's messed up for claiming he's gay. His problems seem to stem possibly from his denial of his natural urges and hostility towards women. Very sexually confused and angry guy.

Micah Moore’s confession in Deaton death was untrue, lawyer says (Kansas City Star)
Attorneys for Micah Moore, the man charged with first-degree murder in the death of prayer-group friend Bethany Ann Deaton, said Wednesday that their client’s fragile mental state led him to make a false confession.

“We are aware of no evidence that a crime has occurred,” said Melanie S. Morgan, one of Moore’s attorneys, reading a statement after the brief court hearing. “The facts suggest Bethany Deaton’s death was an unfortunate suicide and Micah Moore had nothing to do with that suicide.

“Driven to the police station by representantives of his church community, Micah told a fictional account that was bizarre, nonsensical and most importantly, untrue."
---
the rest at the link above

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member