Woman 'denied a termination' dies in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

~n/t~

Reaction score
I can't believe something like this still happens in a well developed country such as Ireland. Unbelievable, sad , senseless and shameful. This poor woman. :(

Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

more at the link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

I've been wondering all day should I start a thread about this, but I hesitated for the simple reason that I knew it would turn into an argument that would end up thrown in the Parking Lot.

Tragic, and senseless loss of life due to stupidity from a bunch of politicians and religious leaders. Its not like the Irish people haven't voted for the right to life of the mother. Twice.

(And been ignored by the government. Twice.)

Any American women reading this - you have no idea how lucky you are to have Roe vs. Wade.

Expert appointed over Savita Halappanavar death

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20336834

Reading this article doesn't give me any hope that any justice will come out of this tragedy even though it is quite clear that they failed to provide this woman the necessary medical attention to save her life.

The husband remains in India and of course, I don't blame him for not returning but I just have this feeling that politicians will just sweep this under the rug and hope it goes away.

Truly sad.

Another woman sacrificed on the altar of patriarchal Christian hegemony. What year is this?

The baby was dying anyhow, so instead they wait until it kills her from the inside!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is why we here in the US have to fight these people at every damn election. Every attempt to put any kind of limit on abortion must be opposed vigorously, because if you give these people an and they will take a mile. Not satisfied with their attempts to chip away at Roe V Wade, and impose their brand of religion on the rest of us here, they also go all over the world pulling this crap.

:furious:

Precisely!!! I offer you exhibit A in the hypocrisy sweepstakes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/15/scott-desjarlais-abortion_n_2139110.html

Scott DesJarlais Abortion Scandal: Congressman's Wife Had 2 Abortions, Court Transcripts Say

Republican U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais testified during divorce proceedings that he and his former wife made a "mutual" decision for her to have two abortions, according to divorce transcripts released Thursday. More at link.

This story breaks my heart.

...“this is a Catholic country”.

While traveling through Ireland if the pope was in need of an abortion to save his life, I wonder if it would be granted. Oh, wait…

This story breaks my heart.

While traveling through Ireland if the pope was in need of an abortion to save his life, I wonder if it would be granted. Oh, wait…

It's unimaginable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-life? Considering that denying a woman an abortion can actually lead to the death of the mother, it doesn't seem to be pro-life, does it?

Horrible. In 1978 my sister was pregnant with her first child.It had taken years for her to get pregnant, and she was on top of the world. She made a car trip home from Seattle to CT to share the news. She was almost five months pregnant. She ate popcorn on the trip and cracked a tooth. She had a fever when she got to my house-and I took her to a dentist. He pulled the tooth and then gave her antibiotics..it should have been the other way around. She became very very ill, and I took her to my OB. He diagnosed blood poisoning, admitted her and they did everything they could to stop the infection. He told me they had to terminate the pregnancy. He explained that blood poisoning will go to the largest blood organ (in this case, her uterus) and was impossible to stop at that stage. She would be devastated at losing her baby, but otherwise she would lose her life. They operated, and she did recover...she was ill for weeks. They were able to save her uterus, but not her son. If they had not terminated the pregnancy, I would have lost my sister. It was horrible to go through, but necessary. She and her husband latter had two daughters, and although she passed in a car accident in 1995, she has 6 grandchildren, with another due in January-they all call me Auntie grandma. She lives on in them...

Just as a head's up there is an extremely similar law making its way through the Ohio State Legislature known as the fetal heartbeat bill which would have the same effect as Ireland's law does - again, there are no exceptions provided for rape, incest or life of the mother.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/ohio-heartbeat-bill_n_2101189.html

Sadly it seems that the Supreme Court is moot at times when individual states and even Congress keep seeking ways of circumventing prior rulings.

Just as a head's up there is an extremely similar law making its way through the Ohio State Legislature known as the fetal heartbeat bill which would have the same effect as Ireland's law does - again, there are no exceptions provided for rape, incest or life of the mother.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/ohio-heartbeat-bill_n_2101189.html

Sadly it seems that the Supreme Court is moot at times when individual states and even Congress keep seeking ways of circumventing prior rulings.

That is very scary. These men are supposedly so concerned about the life of the fetus, that some women will end up dead if these laws are passed. And fetuses will not make it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine