1091 users online (234 members and 857 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Four dead, 17 injured as train strikes wounded veterans parade float in Midland

The Associated Press ‏@AP
    UPDATE: City spokesman: 4 dead, 17 hospitalized after train hits veterans parade float in West Texas.
    Train crashes into Texas wounded veterans parade (wral.com)
    MIDLAND, TEXAS An event organizer says there are "multiple injuries" after a train crashed into a trailer carrying veterans during a West Texas parade.

"Show of Support" president and founder Terry Johnson tells the Midland Reporter-Telegram that a Union Pacific train slammed into a trailer that was on its way to a wounded veterans event Thursday evening.

He says there are "multiple, multiple" injuries and organizers still are trying to account for everyone.
    ---
    The parade was supposed to end at a "Hunt for Heroes" banquet before wounded service members were treated to a deer-hunting trip this weekend.
    Updated: 4 die during Show of Support Parade (mywesttexas.com)
    ---
    A float carrying veterans and their wives in the ninth annual Show of Support parade was struck by a eastbound train at the corner of Garfield Road and Industrial Avenue just before 5 p.m., Robinson said.

It is not expected those injured will need to be transferred from Midland Memorial Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Marcy Madrid.
    ---

Ten of those injured are in critical condition.
    BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20351941

Much more here: Odessa American

From Odessa American link above:
    @OAcourts: There seems to be disagreement as to whether gates and bells were activated. Union Pacific says eyewitness reports confirm they were. Some eyewitnesses at scene say no. UP also says train horn was activated on approach.

this is just AWFUL.

shutting the laptop off, i seriously cant take anymore today.

this is just horrifying. These veterans make it through war and come home and die.

On the news this morning, they said the flat bed with the veterans and their families was 1/2 way across the tracks when the arm came down and by then, it was too late to avoid the accident. Some people on the truck jumped off to safety.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

fran

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    this is just horrifying. These veterans make it through war and come home and die.

On the news this morning, they said the flat bed with the veterans and their families was 1/2 way across the tracks when the arm came down and by then, it was too late to avoid the accident. Some people on the truck jumped off to safety.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

fran
    When I was trained on how to drive, I was told to look when approaching the railroad to make sure that no train was coming. And my driving test included a railroad track. Train will not likely be able to stop in time, so it should be up to the driver of the truck to make sure that the way was clear.
    Just my opinion

I just saw this on the news. It is just so shocking, there was one flatbed that had wounded veterans in wheelchairs. I can't imagine what these families are going through. To watch their loved ones get killed or seriously injured. I don't know who was in charge of the parade but they should have been aware that a train comes through about that time. I know we have a train that runs twice a day. I am about 10 miles from the track and I can hear the whistle for about 10 to 15 minutes before and after it passes. I heard one lady had to have a leg amputated, I don't know if she was a family member or a veteran. My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones, and to the ones who were injured may they have a speedy recovery.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    When I was trained on how to drive, I was told to look when approaching the railroad to make sure that no train was coming. And my driving test included a railroad track. Train will not likely be able to stop in time, so it should be up to the driver of the truck to make sure that the way was clear.
    The trains vs. auto collision films were QUITE memorable in drivers ed. I had a serious fear of trains for quite a while after that.

These days it seems to be the "trains" fault when it strikes cars. Someone messed up big time in this case and I doubt it was the train. Trains aren't known to be all that sneaky when they are barreling down the tracks.

If the driver survived I do hope they aren't a veteran.

Joe Cobarobio of Midland said he filmed the wreck from a parking lot at Garfield and Industrial and said he was later arrested later when he wouldn't cooperate with authorities. He said his camera was confiscated.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/crime_justi...9bb30f31a.html

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    This is absolutely devastating and almost unbelievable. In the midwest, tracks and trains are a daily thing and most go directly thru the town...somewhere. I knew even before drivers ed you NEVER sit on the tracks. (Even thinking about that gives me the shivers) Can't understand why the driver didn't wait until he could advance all the way thru before driving forward. Our town had many of a parade and the tracks separated east from west in the town. All groups advancing would stop before the tracks if there was any delay. It was PLANNED. So many senseless mistakes made here. Children know better! Prayers for all who have lost loved one and are suffering. Just so senseless....and much more than tragic. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    Joe Cobarobio of Midland said he filmed the wreck from a parking lot at Garfield and Industrial and said he was later arrested later when he wouldn't cooperate with authorities. He said his camera was confiscated.

friend of the float driver?
    *** THIS POST IS JMO (unless a link is provided) AND IS ONLY FOR USE ON WEBSLEUTHS -- PLEASE DO NOT LINK OR COPY IT ELSEWHERE ***

Heroic veteran died after pushing wife off float.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-veterans.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Heroic veteran died after pushing wife off float.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-veterans.html
    The photos of the "float" make this even more shocking. It was so open. I guess if any folks jumped off the wrong side of the float they would be a goner when the train hit though.

My heart and sympathy go out to all involved. A terrible tragedy. I read somewhere that the parade committe checked the times for the train and there was not supposed to be one until 7pm.
    Trains in West Texas are such a daily occurance. There was so much noise and sirens that no one even heard it coming.
    Thanking all for their service and they are all on my mind.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast