TX - Four dead, 17 injured as train strikes wounded veterans parade float in Midland

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The Associated Press ‏@AP
UPDATE: City spokesman: 4 dead, 17 hospitalized after train hits veterans parade float in West Texas.

Train crashes into Texas wounded veterans parade (wral.com)
MIDLAND, TEXAS — An event organizer says there are "multiple injuries" after a train crashed into a trailer carrying veterans during a West Texas parade.

"Show of Support" president and founder Terry Johnson tells the Midland Reporter-Telegram that a Union Pacific train slammed into a trailer that was on its way to a wounded veterans event Thursday evening.

He says there are "multiple, multiple" injuries and organizers still are trying to account for everyone.
---
The parade was supposed to end at a "Hunt for Heroes" banquet before wounded service members were treated to a deer-hunting trip this weekend.
Updated: 4 die during Show of Support Parade (mywesttexas.com)
---
A float carrying veterans and their wives in the ninth annual Show of Support parade was struck by a eastbound train at the corner of Garfield Road and Industrial Avenue just before 5 p.m., Robinson said.

It is not expected those injured will need to be transferred from Midland Memorial Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Marcy Madrid.
---

From Odessa American link above:
@OAcourts: There seems to be disagreement as to whether gates and bells were activated. Union Pacific says eyewitness reports confirm they were. Some eyewitnesses at scene say no. UP also says train horn was activated on approach.

this is just AWFUL.

shutting the laptop off, i seriously cant take anymore today. :(

this is just horrifying. These veterans make it through war and come home and die. :(

On the news this morning, they said the flat bed with the veterans and their families was 1/2 way across the tracks when the arm came down and by then, it was too late to avoid the accident. Some people on the truck jumped off to safety.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

fran

this is just horrifying. These veterans make it through war and come home and die. :(

On the news this morning, they said the flat bed with the veterans and their families was 1/2 way across the tracks when the arm came down and by then, it was too late to avoid the accident. Some people on the truck jumped off to safety.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

fran

When I was trained on how to drive, I was told to look when approaching the railroad to make sure that no train was coming. And my driving test included a railroad track. Train will not likely be able to stop in time, so it should be up to the driver of the truck to make sure that the way was clear.

I just saw this on the news. It is just so shocking, there was one flatbed that had wounded veterans in wheelchairs. I can't imagine what these families are going through. To watch their loved ones get killed or seriously injured. I don't know who was in charge of the parade but they should have been aware that a train comes through about that time. I know we have a train that runs twice a day. I am about 10 miles from the track and I can hear the whistle for about 10 to 15 minutes before and after it passes. I heard one lady had to have a leg amputated, I don't know if she was a family member or a veteran. My condolences to the families who lost their loved ones, and to the ones who were injured may they have a speedy recovery.

When I was trained on how to drive, I was told to look when approaching the railroad to make sure that no train was coming. And my driving test included a railroad track. Train will not likely be able to stop in time, so it should be up to the driver of the truck to make sure that the way was clear.

The trains vs. auto collision films were QUITE memorable in drivers ed. I had a serious fear of trains for quite a while after that.

These days it seems to be the "trains" fault when it strikes cars. Someone messed up big time in this case and I doubt it was the train. Trains aren't known to be all that sneaky when they are barreling down the tracks.

If the driver survived I do hope they aren't a veteran.

This is absolutely devastating and almost unbelievable. In the midwest, tracks and trains are a daily thing and most go directly thru the town...somewhere. I knew even before drivers ed you NEVER sit on the tracks. (Even thinking about that gives me the shivers) Can't understand why the driver didn't wait until he could advance all the way thru before driving forward. Our town had many of a parade and the tracks separated east from west in the town. All groups advancing would stop before the tracks if there was any delay. It was PLANNED. So many senseless mistakes made here. Children know better! Prayers for all who have lost loved one and are suffering. Just so senseless....and much more than tragic. IMO

Joe Cobarobio of Midland said he filmed the wreck from a parking lot at Garfield and Industrial and said he was later arrested later when he wouldn't cooperate with authorities. He said his camera was confiscated.

friend of the float driver?

My heart and sympathy go out to all involved. A terrible tragedy. I read somewhere that the parade committe checked the times for the train and there was not supposed to be one until 7pm.
Trains in West Texas are such a daily occurance. There was so much noise and sirens that no one even heard it coming.
Thanking all for their service and they are all on my mind.

The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: NTSB: Warning signals activated before truck crossed train tracks in crash that killed vets

The news stated that the 1st truck carrying veterans had passed over the railroad track and the 2nd truck passed over it but was sitting on the tracks. Witnesses said the railroad arms came down and hit someone of the veterans sitting on the trailer of the 2nd truck. The truck started blowing it's horn to try to get the 1st truck out of it's way but there was no where to go and then the train hit the trailer. We were all taught to never sit on train tracks. I would definitely think that to get your tractor trailer truck driving license this would be driven into you not to sit on train tracks. So I believe the truck driver is who is at fault here. On the news they said they would be doing a federal investigation on why the train was there at that time. Which I thought was odd. Trains have schedules, was it off schedule? Did a parade even look up a train schedule? and then still risk sitting on tracks? Usually trains are not diverted for a parade, I'd go as far as saying never.

was there a curve nearby so that the train could not be seen until it was right on them?? it seems like it took so many by surprise. I just don't understand that unless there was limited view of the tracks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back