OR OR - Glenda Hawkins Campbell, 59, Coos Bay, 5 Nov 2012

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Search and rescue surveys Empire shoreline for missing woman

A search and rescue team from the Coos County Sheriff's Office searched the shoreline near the Empire boat ramp for a missing Coos Bay woman Thursday.

[snip]

Police said she’s known to take walks by the water near her apartment. The county rescue team searched the shoreline near Empire where Campbell may have walked in boats. Search and rescue dogs were also brought to the area.

Police said Campbell has diabetes. Health-related issues could be to blame for her disappearance, police said.

More: http://theworldlink.com/news/local/...11e2-bb18-0019bb2963f4.html?comment_form=true

Search suspended for missing Coos Bay woman

Officials suspended the search for a missing Coos County woman after conducting several interviews and an extensive search of the local area.

[snip]

During a subsequent search for the missing woman, police conducted multiple interviews with people involved with Campbell. Crews also did extensive searches of the nearby beach and surrounding areas. Detectives didn't uncover any leads in the case.

Police found her cell phone, purse, and ID in her apartment.

More: http://www.kcby.com/news/local/Search-suspended-for-missing-Coos-Bay-woman-178505371.html

Friends: Keep searching for Glenda Campbell

Since the search for a missing Coos Bay woman has been suspended, friends of the woman are holding on to the only thing they have left: hope.

Fifty-nine-year-old Glenda Campbell's friends are urging police agencies and people in the community to continue to search for the free-spirited mother of three, who was reported missing Nov. 6.

[snip]

Campbell's landlord, Mary Robinson, said she has been living at the apartments on Empire Boulevard for the past eight months, with her adult son living with her for the past three or four months.

[snip]

Campbell's cell phone, purse and ID were found on her bed when police searched her apartment. Many of Campbell's friends said she liked to go for walks by herself, but Lloyd said Campbell never goes on walks at night or without her cell phone.

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/...5d94-ab3f-e67f0e0ba950.html?comment_form=true

NamUs Profile

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/18039

Case Information
Status
Missing
First name
GLENDA
Middle name
HAWKINS
Last name
CAMPBELL
Nickname/Alias
Date LKA
November 05, 2012 21:30
Date entered
11/08/2012
Age LKA
59 to 59 years old
Age now
59 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Sex
Female
Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

I can't find anything more about this woman online... why exactly do LE think her diabetes could have caused her to leave her house without a purse, keys, cellphone, etc.?

I can't find anything more about this woman online... why exactly do LE think her diabetes could have caused her to leave her house without a purse, keys, cellphone, etc.?

My mom has diabetes and she gets confused if her blood sugar drops; recently she was on some post-op meds and they caused her to go into a hypo. So Glenda could have had a hypo and as she hadn't been living in the area long might have forgotten where she was.

Mods - As we have someone from the area who is posting over in the Holly Berry thread, is it worth moving Glenda over to discussion and seeing if Sophdonna can help out here? (or we can help Sophdonna!)

My mom has diabetes and she gets confused if her blood sugar drops; recently she was on some post-op meds and they caused her to go into a hypo. So Glenda could have had a hypo and as she hadn't been living in the area long might have forgotten where she was.

Mods - As we have someone from the area who is posting over in the Holly Berry thread, is it worth moving Glenda over to discussion and seeing if Sophdonna can help out here? (or we can help Sophdonna!)

Moving thread to discussion forum to see if we cannot help both ladies missing from Coos Bay!

Wow she's been missing awhile. So was it only her friends that reported her missing?
Where is her son now? Has he spoken out?
Did she work?
Is she widowed, divorced?
What about her other 2 children, are they looking for her?

So sad there hasn't been much follow up here.

I found this forum not long ago as I became involved in the search for Holly Berry. I was also involved in the search for Glenda, and still search for her to this day. I will try to answer as many questions as I am able. Glenda lived with her adult son, who has been questioned by the police. He suffers from severe mental illness and has stated that Glenda was "abducted by aliens", "decapitated", etc. For some reason, the police do not consider him a suspect. (This is beyond me!) I do know that Glenda's daughter came to remove her things from the apartment that she shared with her son. The friend that drove Glenda home the night she went missing said Glenda was "terrified" of her son, and that he had pushed her recently when she would not buy him cigarettes. Glenda was a very quiet, some say "timid" woman and kept very much to herself.

I am posting a picture of Glenda with her best friend that may give you a more accurate idea of what Glenda looked like. The photo used for the Missing posters was older and Glenda had lost a considerable amount of weight since that photo was taken. I can try to answer what I know....I am still praying that Glenda and Holly will be found!

glenda.jpg

I found this forum not long ago as I became involved in the search for Holly Berry. I was also involved in the search for Glenda, and still search for her to this day. I will try to answer as many questions as I am able. Glenda lived with her adult son, who has been questioned by the police. He suffers from severe mental illness and has stated that Glenda was "abducted by aliens", "decapitated", etc. For some reason, the police do not consider him a suspect. (This is beyond me!) I do know that Glenda's daughter came to remove her things from the apartment that she shared with her son. The friend that drove Glenda home the night she went missing said Glenda was "terrified" of her son, and that he had pushed her recently when she would not buy him cigarettes. Glenda was a very quiet, some say "timid" woman and kept very much to herself.

I am posting a picture of Glenda with her best friend that may give you a more accurate idea of what Glenda looked like. The photo used for the Missing posters was older and Glenda had lost a considerable amount of weight since that photo was taken. I can try to answer what I know....I am still praying that Glenda and Holly will be found!

glenda.jpg
I am trying to figure out if Glenda and Holly lived near each other. It looks like it wasn't that far. It is also unusual that Glenda's son is mentally ill, and Holly also has mental health issues. Makes me wonder if that isn't the common link, maybe Glenda and her son were somewhere where Holly was, say for medication, a Dr. appt, or possibly a mental health get together.

I am trying to figure out if Glenda and Holly lived near each other. It is also unusual that Glenda's son is mentally ill, and Holly also has mental health issues. Makes me wonder if that isn't the common link, maybe Glenda and her son were somewhere where Holly was, say for medication, a Dr. Appt, or possibly a mental health get together.

I have thought that as well - a connection with the son. I would say, distance-wise - they apartments are a few miles apart. One on Norman Street near Walmart (Holly's apartment) and the other on S. Empire Blvd (Cape Arago Hwy). Holly is a fully functioning young woman, even served on the Board of Directors for Shama House here. Glenda son was not. Glenda worked at Walmart. Holly frequented Walmart. I see the connections as well.

I have thought that as well - a connection with the son. I would say, distance-wise - they apartments are a few miles apart. One on Norman Street near Walmart (Holly's apartment) and the other on S. Empire Blvd (Cape Arago Hwy). Holly is a fully functioning young woman, even served on the Board of Directors for Shama House here. Glenda son was not. Glenda worked at Walmart. Holly frequented Walmart. I see the connections as well.
Coos Bay is not that big. Too weird for two people to go missing within a couple of months of each other. Especially for one to just walk away without a purse or cell phone.

I found this forum not long ago as I became involved in the search for Holly Berry. I was also involved in the search for Glenda, and still search for her to this day. I will try to answer as many questions as I am able. Glenda lived with her adult son, who has been questioned by the police. He suffers from severe mental illness and has stated that Glenda was "abducted by aliens", "decapitated", etc. For some reason, the police do not consider him a suspect. (This is beyond me!)

Hi Sophdonna, thank you for coming over with some info.

Interesting about her son. The news report I read said he wasn't at home when she went missing - do you know where he was? What time was she due at work?

where has the son been living since his mother disappeared?

Coos Bay has a population of a little under 10,000 people. What are the chances that both Glenda & Holly - who both live in the town & are in/connected to the mental health community there- go missing within 2 moths or so of each other?

Can't help but agree with other WSers that there may be a connection.

Hello. I am Glenda's oldest daughter. I want to thank everyone for your continued support in the search for my mother. I wanted to comment and answer a couple questions I've seen.

1. The photo of Glenda sitting on the bench and the one of her on the poster was actually taken the exact same day less than two weeks before her disappearance. She and her friend came to visit me in Northern California and both photos were taken during that visit.

2. My half brother is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. He has lived with her off and on his entire life and at times mom was very concerned about his behavior. She has attempted for years to get help for him but since he is a 26 year old adult there was only so much she could do. Leaving her child out in the cold was never an option for her. I have spoken to the police about him several times and while I know he scared her several times, I don't think he had anything to do with mom's disappearance. I spoke to him after she was missing and he seemed very confused. When he said she had been abducted by aliens and murdered,etc... he was saying those things because he couldn't explain where she was. He thought she had abandoned him. He was very upset and kept telling me he had paid his portion of the rent and didn't understand why she would leave. I don't know him well but I can say I honestly didn't believe he was trying to hide something. The police searched the apartment and surrounding area many times specifically looking for clues that would indicate he was involved but they were unable to find anything. To tell you the truth my first reaction to the news that she was missing was to blame him but once I calmed down and thought about it logically I just don't think it's fair to automatically assume it's him unless something is found that indicates he might be involved.

3. The theory at this time is that mom had a "medical event", left the apartment to get air, passed out on the beach across the street and was pulled out with the tide. This seems like a stretch but when there is no other information that would lead to a more likely scenario I'm inclined to go with what the police have said. She hadn't been feeling well for months and wasn't taking her medication like she should. Her blood sugar was very high on Oct. 31 according to the meter we found in her apartment. The police have followed every single lead that has come in from any source but so far nothing has shed any light on what could have happened.

I'm confident that the police, family and friends, community, search and rescue teams, etc... have done and continue to do everything we possibly can to find her. We appreciate everything that has been done and appreciate those of you that have worked so hard to keep her search alive. Every single day is a struggle for those of us that knew and loved her. The pain of losing your mother is earth shattering and not knowing what happened to her is beyond grief. I'm holding out hope that she will be found and that our questions will be answered. Thanks again for your support.

Hello Angie.. I'm so sorry that you're here under these circumstances, and that there's still no sign of Glenda. My mom is diabetic and also bad with her meds (for that and other ailments) and I know just how confused (and also dead set on things) she can be. The "medical event" certainly sounds plausible to me - from what had been said about your brother if he had harmed her I don't believe he could have made such a thorough job of "disappearing" Glenda. He must be very confused and distressed to have lost a constant in his life.
My thoughts are with you both and I hope that Glenda will be found soon.

:welcome5: Angie!

:tyou: Thank you for joining and answering some questions! I have two uncles that have schziophrenia so I know how their behavior/words can be construed by outsiders as signs of suspicion when in reality they are just suffering from this mental disorder. I hope your half-brother is receiving the help and support he needs since your mother has disappeared.
I pray that Glenda will be found soon and answers will be found.....:please:

I have a hard time believing that Glenda had a "medical event", walked outside, collapsed and then the tide took her out and no one saw any of it. Unless it happened in the middle of the night, and I know of very few older ladies who would go out in the middle of the night, even if they felt badly. And without her cell phone? I don't know the area, but I was informed that it was not the "best" area. My grandmother lived in an area that sounds similar (not terrible, but enough crime to stay indoors at night).

Did she have any meetings she ever went to? Did her son have places he went to on a regular basis that his mother might have taken him to? I have to wonder if somehow Glenda and Holly ended up at some specific location, either at the same time or at separate times, and were spotted by some bizarre person who made them "disappear". I live in a very large city, and we don't have people dropping off the face of the Earth that close together. (unless they mean to be missing)

The "medical event theory" sounds wrong to me, unless there is more that I don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back