Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Girls give away cookies; get sued

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    metro Detroit, more or less
    Posts
    2,814

    Girls give away cookies; get sued


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    28,017
    Wow! but seriously, would anyone eat anything left on their porch by people unknown?

  3. #3
    tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,034

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    That woman sounds like a royal pain in the arse! I cannot believe she sued these two girls for being thoughtful!!! This sentence caught my attention:

    She thought perhaps they were burglars or some neighbors she had tangled with in the past, she said.


    Tangled with other neighbors???? She sounds like truly a delight to live close to. I think the judge is an idiot too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manhattan, Illinois
    Posts
    274
    Young said " the girls shouldn't have been out that late at night, something bad could have happened to them." Young was right...she sued them. How sad the world has become, we no longer can be kind to each other, we've learned to always be on guard and distrustful of even the best intentions. What kind of lessons are we leaving the next generation of children ?
    Does anyone other than myself remember when you'd hear SUE and think it was the name of a girl rather then a way of life??

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,661
    Thank God the old biddy doesn't live in my neighborhood--to take this to court was just plain senseless IMO!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,394
    "The victory wasn't sweet," Young said Thursday afternoon. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

    Yeah they learned their lesson, that you're a mean ole-biddy.

    The girls wrote letters of apology to Young. Taylor's letter, written a few days after the episode, said in part: "I didn't realize this would cause trouble for you. ... I just wanted you to know that someone cared about you and your family."

    The families had offered to pay Young's medical bills if she would agree to indemnify the families against future claims.

    Young wouldn't sign the agreement. She said the families' apologies rang false and weren't delivered in person. The matter went to court.

    Arrrgggghhhhh!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    163
    I swear - we should all go out & buy a box of cheapo cookies from the local dollar store, ship them out to this old witch, and make sure they are delivered after 10pm by some strange looking dude. Maybe we should take up a collection for the girls to pay off the $900?

    I cannot believe they even let this stupid lawsuit proceed to trial.

  9. #9
    ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The beautiful foothills of Appalachia!
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by OB RN
    Maybe we should take up a collection for the girls to pay off the $900?

    I cannot believe they even let this stupid lawsuit proceed to trial.
    I can't belive they did either! Those girls were doing a wonderful, sweet
    (no pun intended) thing. I'd gladly chip in to help pay that fine.
    God bless them, and I hope they keep that caring attitude despite
    this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,394

    New Cookie Update

    http://durangoherald.com/asp-bin/art...ws050205_1.htm

    Denver radio station KOA-AM raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The remaining sum will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.
    ....
    Richard Ostergaard successfully filed a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, on Friday afternoon in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.
    ......

    "This has turned into quite a fiasco," Young said. "It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.

    "All I wanted was for those girls to admit that they used poor judgment and apologize in person. If they had done that, I wouldn't have even asked for the money. I just hope they learned a lesson."
    .....


    I just wish that Wanita Renea Young learned a lesson. Obviously her community is reaching out hoping to teach her that lesson.

  11. #11
    ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The beautiful foothills of Appalachia!
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    http://durangoherald.com/asp-bin/art...ws050205_1.htm

    Denver radio station KOA-AM raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The remaining sum will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.
    ....
    Richard Ostergaard successfully filed a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, on Friday afternoon in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.
    ......

    "This has turned into quite a fiasco," Young said. "It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.

    "All I wanted was for those girls to admit that they used poor judgment and apologize in person. If they had done that, I wouldn't have even asked for the money. I just hope they learned a lesson."
    .....


    I just wish that Wanita Renea Young learned a lesson. Obviously her community is reaching out hoping to teach her that lesson.

    Thanks for the update golfmom! I'm so glad that people stepped in to help
    out.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4,431
    Oh Boy...I predict that this woman has some more "porch gifts" coming to her in her future...probably more along the lines of a flaming bag of poo....
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    7,661
    I wonder if this woman has sued others in the past. A woman here in my neck of the woods sued her next door neighbors because they cut down trees on THEIR OWN PROPERY and it "ruined" her view. It hasn't been tossed out, it's headed for court. And now she wonders why none of her neighbors like her!

    And you know what? IF those girls had shown up in person, I betcha she'da had another "medical emergency" and those poor girls would be in more trouble....

  14. #14
    ariel7 is offline For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The beautiful foothills of Appalachia!
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    I wonder if this woman has sued others in the past. A woman here in my neck of the woods sued her next door neighbors because they cut down trees on THEIR OWN PROPERY and it "ruined" her view. It hasn't been tossed out, it's headed for court. And now she wonders why none of her neighbors like her!
    Boy, some people have a lot of nerve!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    And you know what? IF those girls had shown up in person, I betcha she'da had another "medical emergency" and those poor girls would be in more trouble....
    No doubt. I told my dh about this story. He just sat there shaking his head.
    I figure it really was none too safe for them to apologize in person.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    "This has turned into quite a fiasco," Young said. "It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town.

    I hope this old bat doesn't move anywhere near me!!! What a

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    28,017
    LOL ~ Jeana, I think she is safer where she is than moving near you

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    LOL ~ Jeana, I think she is safer where she is than moving near you

    You know it!!! LOL

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I hope this old bat doesn't move anywhere near me!!! What a
    Well, it seems Miss Huber (from Desperate Housewives) is alive and well after all.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    Well, it seems Miss Huber (from Desperate Housewives) is alive and well after all.

    ROFLMAO!!!! I was SOOOO angry there was reruns shown last night!! I rushed home from dinner to watch!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,973
    Oh Lord, I wont ask you to keep me from becoming an old woman, but Lord, please dont let me become a crotchety old woman who refuses to see an act of kindness when it is presented.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tybee Island,GA
    Posts
    7,636
    Why the hell is her husband making harrassing phone calls to one of the girls house's requiring a restraining order? They sued, they won, and their not happy.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    Why the hell is her husband making harrassing phone calls to one of the girls house's requiring a restraining order? They sued, they won, and their not happy.

    Birds of a feather Tybee!! LOL The article said something about "other neighbors" that they've angered in the past. I have a feeling that this is just "one of those couples" who hate everyone and are hated by everyone in return!!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,394
    Quote Originally Posted by tybee204
    Why the hell is her husband making harrassing phone calls to one of the girls house's requiring a restraining order? They sued, they won, and their not happy.
    Tybee, I think the judge basically gave them a gift with the $900.00. In my opinion it wasn't warranted because ... really ... who's to say she wouldn't have had an *anxiety* attack with or without the cookie delivery?

    Anyway, with only receiving $1.00 for pain and suffering and now havnig to pay their own lawyer fees, etc. I suspect they lost money and are now being harassed by the community. Maybe the husband is expressing his misplaced frustration ...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,037
    The Youngs......What a sad, bitter couple. After the lawsuit and the harrassing phone calls from Mr Young I wouldn't have let my daughter wave at them, much less TALK to them...and Mr Young doesn't get why they didn't apologize in person??? Mr Young needs to concentrate on his own problems (and his wife's) and stay off the phone, me thinks. Maybe they will take the $900 they won and buy some psychiatric treatment for the both of them.
    Oh and now it's poor poor Youngs....they have to move cuz no-one likes them - doesn't sound like anyone liked them before. Got news for the Youngs, nobody is going to like them wherever they move to - nobody likes people like them, mainly becauase they aren't likeable. Ah - the new century's version of the old hag in the mansion behind the fence - now they not only yell at the kids and keep their baseballs, but they SUE them too. Ahhh progress in America.

    It's my opinion only - and I like it. Yours may be different
    and I may not like it, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.
    Stop Habitat Destruction - Do We Really Need To Pave Paradise?
    ~Peace~

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    27,155
    Quote Originally Posted by cynder
    Ahhh progress in America.

    Where did this come from????? How can you make such a sweeping, blanket statement like that?? Why don't you instead focus on the good stuff? How about the community that rallied behind these girls and not only raised enough money for their fine, but another $900 that will go to the other charity???? The glass is always half empty at your house huh??? Shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •