699 users online (82 members and 617 guests)  

Websleuths News

True love among the penguins

I think we can learn something from them. Note: spent long periods apart and each taken solo trips.

LONDON — It is a story of epic journeys and enduring love. A pair of Magellanic penguins has been found to be among the most faithful of couples in the animal kingdom.

During their 16-year relationship, they have spent long periods apart and each taken solo trips totalling 320,000 kilometres.

Yet, despite their long-distance relationship, each year the penguins have returned to the same nest, and each other, to produce a new brood of chicks.

Now they are growing old together — the birds normally die about 20 years after they start breeding.

Biologists have expressed surprise at the endurance of the birds’ relationship, as most Magellanic penguin pairings are cut short far sooner.

In some cases, one partner dies during their long sea journeys. Other pairings end in “divorce:” if a couple fail to rear chicks successfully during a breeding season, they will each find new partners the following year. The longest relationships previously seen by researchers were between five and 10 years.
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technol...803/story.html
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Smile

thanx for this I LOVE penguins!!! (all birds actually, but penguins have something special that makes them different, well, they all have special differences)

Birds and animals are my favorite forms of life these days. I only have to look at videos of Black Friday shoppers to remember why...
    Just my opinion, of course.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ss-mother.html
    As they huddle together battling bitterly cold winds, a mother penguin reaches down and pecks her tiny fluffy chick on the head.

The adorable scene was captured by wildlife photographer Thorsten Milse on Snow Hill Island, Antarctica.

Soooo cute!!
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

They are such beautiful birds...their coloring is wonderful to look at....
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.