1188 users online (193 members and 995 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1013
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165

    FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #1

    Argument over loud music led to teen's fatal shooting, cops say (orlandosentinel.com)
    A Brevard County man was in jail Monday, accused of shooting a teenager dead in an argument over loud music.

    Michael David Dunn, 45, and his girlfriend were in Jacksonville Friday for Dunn's son's wedding when they stopped at a convenience store, Jacksonville sheriff's Lt. Rob Schoonover said.

    Jordan Russell Davis, 17, and several other teenagers were sitting in a sport utility vehicle in the parking lot when Dunn pulled up next to them in a car and asked them to turn down their music, Schoonover said.

    Jordan and Dunn exchanged words, and Dunn pulled a gun and shot eight or nine times, striking Jordan twice, Schoonover said. Jordan was sitting in the back seat. No one else was hurt.

    Dunn's attorney Monday said her client acted responsibly and in self-defense. She did not elaborate.
    ---
    more at the link, with pictures

    ETA: Media/timeline reference thread - FL - Man alledgely shoots teen over loud music encounter in Park.Lot - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 05-24-2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,301
    shades of Trayvon/Zimmerman confrontation?

    I really am not a fan of Florida's current gun laws, or maybe its simply how they are being interpreted and enforced that frightens me. Not sure.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    shades of Trayvon/Zimmerman confrontation?
    Yeppers, first thought that came to mind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    So they were in Jacksonville for a wedding and stopped at a convenience store, yet rather than making his purchase and leaving, the shooter felt it necessary to confront the teens over the volume of their music. (Moral: guns and girlfriends don't mix.)

    After an argument, the shooter fired "eight or nine times" into a car crowded with teenagers, killing a kid in the BACKseat! (Moral: guns and bullies don't mix.)

    Then the shooter and his girlfriend fled the scene and continued on to their Jacksonville hotel, where they learned of the killing from TV news. In response, they didn't call LE, but left abruptly and returned to the shooter's home, a couple of hours south.

    Doesn't anybody know how to dial 911 any more?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    shades of Trayvon/Zimmerman confrontation?

    I really am not a fan of Florida's current gun laws, or maybe its simply how they are being interpreted and enforced that frightens me. Not sure.
    This isn't anything like the TM/GZ case. If it went down the way the OS is reporting it, the kid was killed by an idiot that ran from the scene. He was then arrested and is being held without bond - how is this case even similar except for the color of their skin and the age of the victim? I see rage and probably racism here. JMO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    This isn't anything like the TM/GZ case. If it went down the way the OS is reporting it, the kid was killed by an idiot that ran from the scene. He was then arrested and is being held without bond - how is this case even similar except for the color of their skin and the age of the victim? I see rage and probably racism here. JMO
    BBM: Things go so much faster when you answer your own question.

    I think the problem is private citizens carrying guns that make them "feel" like police officers--only without the training.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    This isn't anything like the TM/GZ case. If it went down the way the OS is reporting it, the kid was killed by an idiot that ran from the scene. He was then arrested and is being held without bond - how is this case even similar except for the color of their skin and the age of the victim? I see rage and probably racism here. JMO
    Agreeing almost totally yet not a few saw the "rage and racism" factor in Trayvon's case too. (Not trying to open up that can of worms here though.)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    BBM: Things go so much faster when you answer your own question.
    I'm not sure what you mean, neither rage nor racism has been proven to have played a role in the TM/GZ case... but that is a different case.

    Latest article and video on the Dunn/Jordan case:
    http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...elt-threatened

    He should have called 911, no matter who he "felt" the teens might be affiliated with. I'm sure more of the story will come out - regardless, I see no justification for shooting a car up with teens in it and leaving the scene to hide out in a hotel room. Very slim chance he will be able to use SYG, IMO.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Agreeing almost totally yet not a few saw the "rage and racism" factor in Trayvon's case too. (Not trying to open up that can of worms here though.)
    Yes, and that was my point of stating, "if the article is accurate". Sometimes the media can be misleading - so far that seems not to be the case. Very disturbing, this one. Prayers for the boys family and the family of the other teens.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I think the problem is private citizens carrying guns that make them "feel" like police officers--only without the training.
    I do agree with you here, to a certain extent - and this man is a perfect example of that - he should have ignored the music or called 911 to report the loud music, which is silly if he was about to leave. What a mess.

    I still can't help but wonder why this story makes the news and not the countless other stories of drive by shootings and senseless killings of teens and children that go on DAILY in Florida. He's not the first kid to lose his life in a senseless shooting in Jacksonville, not by a long shot, and it's doubtful he will be the last.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean, neither rage nor racism has been proven to have played a role in the TM/GZ case... but that is a different case.

    Latest article and video on the Dunn/Jordan case:
    http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...elt-threatened

    He should have called 911, no matter who he "felt" the teens might be affiliated with. I'm sure more of the story will come out - regardless, I see no justification for shooting a car up with teens in it and leaving the scene to hide out in a hotel room. Very slim chance he will be able to use SYG, IMO.
    I'm not a juror nor will I be a juror in Florida; so I'm not held to the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" in re this case.

    When white men start shooting white unarmed teenagers and claiming SYG, let's talk again.

    (I agree with you that shooting up a car full of unarmed kids is going to be tough to defend.)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,301
    Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    This isn't anything like the TM/GZ case. If it went down the way the OS is reporting it, the kid was killed by an idiot that ran from the scene. He was then arrested and is being held without bond - how is this case even similar except for the color of their skin and the age of the victim? I see rage and probably racism here. JMO
    young teenaged unarmed black male shot by armed white male after confrontation. Lawyers for both shooters claim self defense is the justification.

    This thread is for Jordan Russell Davis so I will not make it about TM/GZ but yes, to me there are many similarities.

    Prayers for Jordan's family.
    Last edited by tlcya; 11-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    I do agree with you here, to a certain extent - and this man is a perfect example of that - he should have ignored the music or called 911 to report the loud music, which is silly if he was about to leave. What a mess.

    I still can't help but wonder why this story makes the news and not the countless other stories of drive by shootings and senseless killings of teens and children that go on DAILY in Florida. He's not the first kid to lose his life in a senseless shooting in Jacksonville, not by a long shot, and it's doubtful he will be the last.
    I think the SYG or potential-SYG claim makes this news. The other shootings you mention are criminal, without question. I grew up in the Florida and I can remember when they would have made the news; but there were far fewer Floridians back then.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,290
    This happened where I live near. I know exactly where this took place. I am all for stand your ground, this guy was an idiot.
    This is defiantly not SYG. Are you kidding me? I would waste my life on shooting in a car over loud music. I say this man has some other issues.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,290
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    shades of Trayvon/Zimmerman confrontation?

    I really am not a fan of Florida's current gun laws, or maybe its simply how they are being interpreted and enforced that frightens me. Not sure.
    I recently completed my concealed weapons permit class and now have my CCW permit. The instructor really spent a lot of time on what is and isn't SYG!

    I have not bought a weapon yet cause when I do I want to know the gun inside and out on how to use. I do have an instructor just haven't made the time.

    I mainly got the permit because of being SWF and the area I work in and have to drive to work in.

Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #7
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 945
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 12:49 AM
  2. GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #6
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1002
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
  3. GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #5
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 917
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM
  4. GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #4
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 929
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  5. GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #3
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1026
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Tags for this Thread