1155 users online (242 members and 913 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Female military members sue to serve in combat

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...SNWU00L1_UNEWS

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Four female service members filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging the Pentagon's ban on women serving in combat, hoping the move will add pressure to drop the policy just as officials are gauging the effect that lifting the prohibition will have on morale..............

Hunt and the other three women said the policy unfairly blocks them from promotions and other advancements open to men in combat. Three of the women are in the reserves. A fourth, Marine Corp Lt. Colleen Farrell, leaves active duty this week.

Women comprise 14 percent of the 1.4 million active military personnel. The lawsuit alleges that women are barred from 238,000 positions across the Armed Forces..............more at link.......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Women should not serve in combat.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

Why not?
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Interesting, I did not know this about the US! Here in Canada, I think that restriction was lifted years ago.

eta - it was 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Why not?
    The biggest reason IMO is it would be too much of a distraction for the men. Also men have a natural urge to be protectors especially when it comes to women. Imagine how this could play out during combat. And lastly I don't believe women are equal to men physically. Not meaning all women are weaker just most.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

I can't help but remember the story i posted here a while back about the woman who gave birth on the front lines...she was from europe i believe, not the US

I think any female that can meet the rigorous traning and physical qualifications that are needed for combat should serve.

They should be allowed to do any MOS in the military that they are qualified to do.

Not allowing them to do a job that of which they are qualified to do because of the sex and/or gender is sexist and prejudicial.

Some of the strongest (both physically and emotionally) women I have ever met are women who are active duty military members. I have the utmost respect for them and if they know they can do a job and do it well I say let them have their chance.

I don't think this is the article i originally posted, but was the one i found first while searching just now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-birth.html

Right now they are saying there is no mandatory pregnancy testing before british women fight on the front lines.... BAD IDEA

The American military gives all females a pregnancy test at MEPS (when they first report for enlistment).

They are also required to submit to a pregnancy test during SRP (Soldier Readiness Program) prior to any deployments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I think any female that can meet the rigorous traning and physical qualifications that are needed for combat should serve.

They should be allowed to do any MOS in the military that they are qualified to do.

Not allowing them to do a job that of which they are qualified to do because of the sex and/or gender is sexist and prejudicial.

Some of the strongest (both physically and emotionally) women I have ever met are women who are active duty military members. I have the utmost respect for them and if they know they can do a job and do it well I say let them have their chance.
    Well stated, Kat, and I agree...thanks!

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl View Post
    The biggest reason IMO is it would be too much of a distraction for the men. Also men have a natural urge to be protectors especially when it comes to women. Imagine how this could play out during combat. And lastly I don't believe women are equal to men physically. Not meaning all women are weaker just most.
    After reading many articles and personal accounts by men service members telling how protective they are of each other in all situations during our wars, IMO, it is not a negative that any women who qualify to be in combat should also receive the same protection from their unit as the men. They are trained to work as a team and that is part of it.

thepinkdragon is offline Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Mental Health & PTSD Advocate
    General Statement: Women already serve in combat, they just cannot hold direct combat arms mos's and because of that cannot get the kind of leadership positions that help with advancement like their male counterparts. That is what this lawsuit is about. As a veteran I can assure you that there are plenty of women who can hold their own and put many men to shame in Garrison and in Theater (home and deployed) Also, camaraderie has no sexual orientation and as far as women being the weaker sex, sexual assault happens to men by other men a lot more than you realize over there.
    My opinion based on personal experience.

I wonder if the main objection to letting women hold combat positions is still "troop cohesion." I know that when this has been discussed in the past, it was one of the objections. I believe this was also one of the reasons for having 'don't ask, don't tell.'

I feel that having done away with restrictions on gays in the military, that restrictions on women will go away too.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

If women are allowed to serve in direct combat arms (ie: Infantry), then all women upon reaching the age of 18 should be required to register for Selective Service, just as all men are. If women can serve in those MOSes, then they should be subject to the draft just as men are. (In the event we were to need a draft in the future....which I doubt.)

I've worked alongside female firefighters and police officers and if they can hold their own and if they passed the same physical agility tests that I had to pass, then I have no problem with it.
    You don't scare me. I'm married to a redhead!
    --PATX

Everybody counts or nobody counts.
    --Hieronymus Bosch

Quote Originally Posted by PATX View Post
    If women are allowed to serve in direct combat arms (ie: Infantry), then all women upon reaching the age of 18 should be required to register for Selective Service, just as all men are. If women can serve in those MOSes, then they should be subject to the draft just as men are. (In the event we were to need a draft in the future....which I doubt.)

I've worked alongside female firefighters and police officers and if they can hold their own and if they passed the same physical agility tests that I had to pass, then I have no problem with it.
    I agree Patx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast