South Dakota: Fire victims died from smoke inhalation

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
The grandmother and three young children who perished in an apartment fire Tuesday night died from smoke inhalation, according to the Pennington County Coroner’s Office.

Preliminary autopsy results for Marcia Rock, 51, Thomas Rosado, 9, Dustin Rosado, 5, and Marquez Hawk Wing, 3 were announced Thursday.

Firefighters found the bodies inside the wood-frame structure after the fire raging at the front of the structure was subdued. Rock’s apartment was one of five in the older wood-frame building at 2114 Sixth Ave.

Residents living in two of three basement apartments discovered the fire shortly before 11 p.m. smoldering in Rock’s apartment. The fire exploded with intense heat and flames when they opened the door into the apartment.

Rock’s neighbors did not realize she and the children were in the apartment until firefighters carried their bodies from the charred apartment.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/fi...cle_3b903b5b-5e10-531b-b56d-c0a37dd50f56.html

Omg a whole family. I always hate reading the news as winter sets in, as more stories like this happen (might not be the case here, but there's always so many fires because of holiday lights, space heaters, etc).

So sad seeing the pic of those little teddy bears. :cry: RIP Gramma & little ones :rose:

Omg a whole family. I always hate reading the news as winter sets in, as more stories like this happen (might not be the case here, but there's always so many fires because of holiday lights, space heaters, etc).

So sad seeing the pic of those little teddy bears. :cry: RIP Gramma & little ones :rose:

I was at a convenience store getting gas today about 200 miles East of Rapid and some guy was talking about this and he just broke down. It was someone in his family. Sad, yeah the teddy bears pic is tough.

50d13cf438c7c.preview-620.jpg

Three weeks after smoke and flames drove them from their homes and left four neighbors dead, Cyndi Red Star and Ryan and Ricky Eagle Bull got their first look Tuesday at their apartments and a chance to reclaim a few personal items.

“It’s overwhelming,” Red Star, 45, said, after surveying the apartment that was her home for almost five years. It was the only home two of her children had ever known.

“It’s worse than I thought,” she said.

The fire that claimed the lives of Marcia Rock, 51, and her three grandchildren at 2114 Sixth Ave. was discovered by the Eagle Bulls shortly before 11 p.m. on Nov. 27.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/fi...cle_5057e7d0-c56d-5180-bfa7-0e6f25b5a15c.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back