DC - $1 Congress looks at doing away with the one dollar bill $1

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Congress looks at doing away with the $1 bill (AP/Kansas City Star)
WASHINGTON -- American consumers have shown about as much appetite for the $1 coin as kids do their spinach. They may not know what's best for them either. Congressional auditors say doing away with dollar bills entirely and replacing them with dollar coins could save taxpayers some $4.4 billion over the next 30 years.

Vending machine operators have long championed the use of $1 coins because they don't jam the machines, cutting down on repair costs and lost sales. But most people don't seem to like carrying them. In the past five years, the U.S. Mint has produced 2.4 billion Presidential $1 coins. Most are stored by the Federal Reserve, and production was suspended about a year ago.
---
much more at the link

As working as a cashier, I can say those dollar coins are very annoying. IMO.

Since I generally only have a wad of ones on me, their equivalent in pocket coins might tend to make my pants fall down at especially embarrassing moments. (e.g., like at Walmart awhile ago, sixth in the pharmacy line)

Make sure you collect some.

We changed over to coins for $1 and $2 years ago and now those bills are worth 20 times their face value.

It makes zero difference at all to anyone, coins are just as easy to count as notes (if not easier) so I'm not sure what the problem would be for cashiers?

The very few times I've gotten $2 bills I always put them aside, then remember that they're still legal currency, so why save them? I wonder if the elimination of the $1 would cause the $2 to be more popular.

Oh, I've been waiting years for this, I so hope they do it! So tired of nasty, falling apart $1 bills!

Oh no!! That's about all I ever have in my wallet!

Oh no!! That's about all I ever have in my wallet!

Me too. Debit card or ones. I'm like wfgodot. Will make my pants or handbag way too heavy.

I remember when the two dollar bills came out ages ago...arghhh. No place in the cash register for them. I think I still have a couple stashed away. Good to know they are worth more than two dollars.

Isn't the Susan B. Anthony coin a dollar coin? Can't remember and too busy to look it up.

Oh and I hate the new pennies....ick! Always finding mashed ones in the parking lots.

Lol this just reminded me -

I live in Australia, we are very close in a lot of ways to New Zealand.

I found a NZ 50c piece the other day. Ours are heavy, large, and have angled sides, but the NZ 50c is around the same size and weight as an Aussie 10c.

Someone had given it to me in change, thinking it was a 10c coin.

I'm going back to NZ soon so I hooked it out, it will be worth 4 x more in NZ than here, simply because Aussies keep mistaking them for our 10c pieces. :D

Our notes are not transferable but the coins tend to float across and be used. Our 20c pieces are very similar for example.

I believe NZ has even got rid of 5c pieces now but we still have em in Aus and they are painful.

MHO

Sorry for the inconvenience, but saving money is a plus. Canada has already done this. I remember (before all the hoarding) when consumers actually used 50 cent pieces. Really, it wasn't a problem to have one more coin. We will adapt.

I don't have a problem with it as long as they redesign the $1.00 coin because the one that was used in the 80's and 90's lookes so much like a quarter.

When I waited tables I had someone pay me in 30 one dollar coins one time. Lot of jingle in the pocket of your apron haha.

Plus if I had a stray one here and there I would unintentionally hand it out as a quarter instead of a dollar.

Let's see....we've had the Susan B. Anthony; the Sacagawea; the Sacagawea with modified reverses; and now the "Presidential Dollar Coin," which I don't know if I've ever seen. I'd certainly cast a "yes" vote - even though I'm old and set in my ways - if, SOMEHOW, a $1 coin could be designed - and given a distinctive color, or size, or gleam, or SOMETHING - so as readily to differentiate it from a quarter.

Not holding breath.

We have one and two dollar coins in Canada. I worked at a drug store when they switched over. All these adults would come in and complain about the coins and how it was inconveniencing them. Sometimes they would yell at me about it.. All I could think about was how annoying and boring adults must be to care so much about something so stupid.

Let's see....we've had the Susan B. Anthony; the Sacagawea; the Sacagawea with modified reverses; and now the "Presidential Dollar Coin," which I don't know if I've ever seen. I'd certainly cast a "yes" vote - even though I'm old and set in my ways - if, SOMEHOW, a $1 coin could be designed - and given a distinctive color, or size, or gleam, or SOMETHING - so as readily to differentiate it from a quarter.

Not holding breath.

The gold color and unmilled edge of the current dollar coins make them easy to distinguish from a quarter.

The gold color and unmilled edge of the current dollar coins make them easy to distinguish from a quarter.
Am going to the bank Monday and getting some then. Did look them up online last night after I posted, and they do look promising. (Though they also look like they could make one's pants fall down if one had a pocketful; need to invest in better belt then, or suspenders even!)

On a lighter note, how will this affect the exotic dancer and strip club industry?

How do patrons tip their dancers with coins?

On a lighter note, how will this affect the exotic dancer and strip club industry?

I have a somewhat ribald story at the ready about this very thing, yet I shall refrain from its telling.

What is the world coming to!
... is the US following the lead of Canada?

Maybe with a pocket full of loonies and toonies, people will be a litle more light hearted.

It adds a whole new meaning to the phrase, " I'm not coin operated.":innocent::innocent::innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back