FL - Nile crocodile hunted near Miami; wildlife officials to agents: SHOOT TO KILL

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Nile Croc Hunted Near Miami as Potential Danger (AP)
HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP) — State wildlife officials have given their agents a rare order to shoot to kill in the hunt for a young and potentially dangerous Nile crocodile loose near Miami.

The Nile crocodile, which hails from Africa, can jump higher, run faster and grow to nearly 20-feet, several feet larger than its American cousin, and has a nastier temperament. And while the American crocodile stays near saltwater like mangroves and estuaries, the Nile crocodile prefers freshwater, making it more likely to come in contact with humans and domestic animals.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials said they know of only one Nile croc on the loose, but experts said at least two others have been caught in the same area
---
"They get big. They're vicious. The animals are just more aggressive and they learn that humans are easy targets," said Joe Wasilewski, a reptile expert and veteran wrangler.
---
more at the link above

Nile crocs have had over 200 million years of evolution to learn to predate on large prey.

What's the primary large prey in Florida? (Hint: it walks on two legs.)

This is sad. Crocodiles and Alligators are such impressive and complex animals, the mothers are so protective of their young and as a species they should be with their own kind.

[video=youtube;RQpj8tpxPcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpj8tpxPcM[/video]

It makes me very sad that some idiot humans are probably responsible for this amazing creature to be in this position in the first place.

The public must be protected and I support the shoot to kill order but it saddens me when people release nonindiginous wildlife into an ecosystem. It wreaks havoc on the delicate balance and places animal control and DNR in this unenviable position, not to mention the threat to human life.

Very sad :( :shakehead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back