Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Kansas City Chiefs player shoots and kills girlfriend, self, say officials

It's heartbreaking to think that a 3 month old baby now has no parents. I've been thinking about it all day and my heart just breaks for her.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KaylynnCouture For This Useful Post:

"I got to go, I can't be here."

Exclusive: As troubles at home simmered, Chiefs tried to help Jovan Belcher (Kansas City Star)
    Police said the team was providing counseling to Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend, Kasandra Perkins. But Belcher,
    before taking his own life in the parking lot of the Chiefs’ practice facility, said it wasn’t enough to fix their problems.

---
    In the parking lot of the practice facility at 1 Arrowhead Drive, Belcher encountered Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli. Belcher stepped out of his Bentley with a gun pointed at his own head, police said.

“I did it,” he said, according to police. “I killed her.”
    ---
    “I got to go,” Belcher reportedly said. “I can’t be here.”
    ---
    much more - long article at the link above
    Last edited by wfgodot; 12-04-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: caveat: linked article contains disturbing material

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Truly sad. A history of problems enough for his mother to be their and team counseling. prayers to her family and everyone affected.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

I know not all the details are out yet, but as the story has developed, I take back what I said earlier about feeling nothing but sorrow for everyone involved. I no longer feel sorrow for Jovan Belcher. I know he may have had emotional issues/problems, but that is no excuse for what he did, and after other things have come out - like the man who called into a radio station and said Jovan Belcher bullied his son from age 12 until they moved from Long Island to Florida because they feared he would end up killing his son, and now that he wasn't even home that night, but was out with another woman - I can't make any excuses for him. It may be true that Kasandra was after his money, but he should have thought about that before he had a child with someone. He may have felt trapped. He may not have wanted a baby. He may have thought she was going to take away everything he had. But that's no excuse to kill her and if you are trying to make your relationship work, spending the night with another woman isn't the way to go about it.

Also, about the article written by Jason Whitlock and quoted by Bob Costas - Whitlock used to be a columnist for the Kansas City Star. He wasn't very well liked in Kansas City. Now he's a Fox Sports writer. His articles are usually inflammatory and I think he likes the attention he gets from writing things he knows people are going to disagree with. He's an idiot. Like I saw someone else say - Jason Whitlock is fat. Maybe we should outlaw spoons.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luzianne For This Useful Post:

From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback yesterday:
    Chiefs QB Brady Quinn hasn't had a lot of great moments in the NFL. In fact, he hasn't had a lot of good ones. But yesterday (...) he was the most mature adult in the room -- the room being the entire NFL -- in Week 13 when he eloquently used his post-game platform:

"When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth? We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that's fine, but we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have right in front of us. Hopefully, people can learn from this and try to actually help if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they are revealing on a day-to-day basis."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...-13/index.html

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

"Words can break someone into a million pieces, but they can also put them back together. I hope you use yours for good, because the only words you'll regret more than the ones left unsaid are the ones you use to intentionally hurt someone."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-live-911-call

absolutely heartbreaking reading excerpts from the 911 call. apparently perkins was still alive and appeared to respond when talked said the mother. What an animal. I have sympathy for his family and the sadness they feel for his loss but I have no sympathy for him and the horrible thing he did.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/05/jovan-...rder-911-tape/

That is a link to the actual 911 call. If you don't like listening then don't, but some people like getting all aspects to a case so I posted it. I haven't listened to it yet. It is from TMZ so yeah. But the 911 call is still the same. It said she was shot multiple times. That is really telling in itself to me. Selfish, horrible. Going out with another woman that night but mad she went out with friends to a concert. Domestic violence at it's worse.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luzianne View Post
    Also, about the article written by Jason Whitlock and quoted by Bob Costas - Whitlock used to be a columnist for the Kansas City Star. He wasn't very well liked in Kansas City. Now he's a Fox Sports writer. His articles are usually inflammatory and I think he likes the attention he gets from writing things he knows people are going to disagree with. He's an idiot. Like I saw someone else say - Jason Whitlock is fat. Maybe we should outlaw spoons.
    Sbm

I find this extremely offensive. What on earth does Whitlock's weight have to do with his writing ability or opinions? Outlawing spoons doesn't even serve as a good analogy for outlawing guns, since the purpose of a spoon is to eat, the purpose of a gun is to kill. Whitlock's weight is a danger to no one but himself. guns, on the other hand, are a threat to many people, whether legally owned or not - since their inherent purpose is to kill.

Really, if you want to argue against his column, there are thousands of more intelligent ways to do it besides making a cheap shot about someone's weight. You aren't being clever - you're just being mean.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gardenlady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Sbm

I find this extremely offensive. What on earth does Whitlock's weight have to do with his writing ability or opinions? Outlawing spoons doesn't even serve as a good analogy for outlawing guns, since the purpose of a spoon is to eat, the purpose of a gun is to kill. Whitlock's weight is a danger to no one but himself. guns, on the other hand, are a threat to many people, whether legally owned or not - since their inherent purpose is to kill.

Really, if you want to argue against his column, there are thousands of more intelligent ways to do it besides making a cheap shot about someone's weight. You aren't being clever - you're just being mean.
    As I said, it was something I heard someone else say and I repeated it. The purpose of a gun, to me, is self defense. It's when the tool (gun or spoon) is used incorrectly that it causes problems. That's the analogy.

And if you saw me you would know I wasn't trying to insult fat people. I'm overweight too. It was just an analogy about how a tool is just a tool and it's not the tool that makes someone overweight or kills someone, it's the behavior of the person using the tool.

Whitlock himself is extremely offensive (you should see things he says about people) and that is why someone used that correlation. Whitlock is not liked very much in Kansas City. He wrote for the Kansas City Star for many years and now works for Fox News.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luzianne For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by danzn16 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-live-911-call

absolutely heartbreaking reading excerpts from the 911 call. apparently perkins was still alive and appeared to respond when talked said the mother. What an animal. I have sympathy for his family and the sadness they feel for his loss but I have no sympathy for him and the horrible thing he did.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/05/jovan-...rder-911-tape/

That is a link to the actual 911 call. If you don't like listening then don't, but some people like getting all aspects to a case so I posted it. I haven't listened to it yet. It is from TMZ so yeah. But the 911 call is still the same. It said she was shot multiple times. That is really telling in itself to me. Selfish, horrible. Going out with another woman that night but mad she went out with friends to a concert. Domestic violence at it's worse.
    There is one point in the call that I read in the one of the transcripts that Kasandra says "He shot me!" I listened and I did hear something that sounded like that, but I'm not sure if that was her or not. If it was, her voice was stronger than I would expect for the condition that she was in, although maybe she could have mustered all her strength and made that one comment. I hate that she was conscious and responding, though, because that means she knew exactly what happened and had time to think about the horror of it all, knowing she was going to die, worrying about what was going to happen to her baby, etc. Very sad.

Also on the call from the stadium, they said "extra time needed for cleanup." I feel bad for the person who had that job.

I am still unclear on exactly what happened the night before the shooting. Her friends said he called her and wanted to know what time she was going to be home, and also a friend said that they got into a fight after she got home at 1:00 am. That means that a friend must have talked to Kasandra after she got home. I am wondering if he want out to dinner and whatever with the other woman, then went home knowing Kasandra was going to be home at some point, got angry when she didn't get home till later than he expected, got into a fight with her when she did get home and left to meet up with the other woman again, Kasandra called her friend and told her they had gotten into a fight, and when he got home in the morning they got into another fight about her getting home late/him being out all night or whatever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Luzianne For This Useful Post:

nao

Quote Originally Posted by KaylynnCouture View Post
    It's heartbreaking to think that a 3 month old baby now has no parents. I've been thinking about it all day and my heart just breaks for her.
    It is heartbreaking, but like someone else said it is probably a good thing that she is so young because so long as she gets adopted to a good family, then she will not remember anything and can grow up with a good family.

If she was older, it would be even worse IMO. It is sad no matter what.

Kasandra Perkins Did Not Have to Die (The Nation)
    ---
    It’s horribly offensive to laud a man who murdered his girlfriend and left his daughter parentless. It’s also irresponsible. When the media reports domestic violence murders as random tragedies—or when individuals say the perpetrator must have “snapped”—they enable a culture of violence against women. Because when you don’t contextualize this violence as part of structural misogyny, you give credence to the myth that there was nothing anyone could have done to stop it.
    ---
    As Casey Gwinn, President of the National Family Justice Center Alliance, wrote,

"Relationships do not go from healthy, happy and functional to murder-suicide overnight. It never happens. There is almost always a history and there is always a pattern. Over time it will be clear that friends, family, and colleagues knew things and saw things and did not take action."
    ---
    much more at the link

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post

much more at the link
    Thank you so much for this. It is truly sad to me that so much abusers and domestic violence murders get so many excuses. Especially athletes and famous people. What did everyone initially think? He's a football player, obviously not his fault because he's had brain damage... even when this is so incredibly rare it was more likely for either one of them to die of simultaneous lightning strikes, shark attacks, etc. I've worked with athletes and concussions, I know how one acts with a concussion and I know how one acts with post concussive syndrome. I know he is only 25. And I have had training in medical school about domestic violence. It's not acceptable and we CAN NOT give them excuses anymore.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luzianne View Post
    As I said, it was something I heard someone else say and I repeated it. The purpose of a gun, to me, is self defense. It's when the tool (gun or spoon) is used incorrectly that it causes problems. That's the analogy.

And if you saw me you would know I wasn't trying to insult fat people. I'm overweight too. It was just an analogy about how a tool is just a tool and it's not the tool that makes someone overweight or kills someone, it's the behavior of the person using the tool.

Whitlock himself is extremely offensive (you should see things he says about people) and that is why someone used that correlation. Whitlock is not liked very much in Kansas City. He wrote for the Kansas City Star for many years and now works for Fox News.
    Just saw this on facebook:

"Navy seals didn't kill Osama bin Laden... GUNS DID. ...Said no one ever.
    Don't blame guns for the actions of others"

If there weren't guns there would be other tools unfortunately. And I just read that according to criminologist Gary Kleck, 2.5 million Americans use firearms to defend themselves each year. Don't take away self-defense for law abiding citizens. The problem is domestic violence and possibly mental illness (not saying MI's the case here). There are many cases of domestic violence homicide without firearms.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

Thank goodness I'm finally starting to see some of the focus shifted to the real victim in this case. I was sickened by all the attention this killer was getting and the amount of sympathy towards him.

Frankly, I don't care if you're an athlete, a cop or the President. This was cold blooded murder. Period.

He took the cowardly way out just like so many before him.

YOUNG-WILLIAMS: You know, Jane, I guess the overall message here is that, you know, being the spokesperson for the National Domestic Violence Hotline, the problem is it`s about power and control. That`s what domestic violence is about. Whether you`re a professional athlete, whether you`re Charlie Sheen, whether you`re O.J. Simpson, or whether you`re the gentleman who works for the police department or -- it`s about control, and it`s about power.

And in that household he felt that he had to have complete control and complete power over everything and everyone. And what is so sick is that yes, they love their partner but they love them the way that they`re capable of loving. Not in the way that`s good for the partner. So it is a destructive, violent situation, and unfortunately, very often it ends in death.

But only these stories do we hear because it involves celebrities. But it happens every day across America`s canvas. And domestic violence needs to be spoken about more often on programs like yours so people know how they can get help and save their own lives.
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...5/ijvm.01.html
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post

much more at the link
    Great article!

Indeed, it has now come out that Belcher had a history of violence and controllingness in relationships with women. While at the University of Maine, campus police reports were filed when Belcher punched his fist through a window during a fight with a woman and again when police were called to break up an argument he had with his girlfriend after she failed to check in with him at a designated time. Belchers relationship with Kasi has repeatedly been called strainedso much so that the Kansas City Chiefs provided the couple with relationship counseling. (Which is actually not the right move, according to domestic violence experts.)

Reports indicate that Kasi was leaving or had left Belcher with their daughter. Women are most likely to be killed by their abusive partners when they try to leavein fact, victims who leave an abusive relationship have a 75 percent higher risk of being murdered. Pregnancy and chilbirth excacerabte violent relationships and young black women are eleven times more likely than white women to be murdered while they are pregnant or in the year after childbirth.

This is not rocket sciencewe know how women die when they are killed by their partners. We know what precedes it and we know what the relationship looks like before it happens.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    I am truly not trying to be rude but your post is quite presumptuous.

What part was I being presumptuous about? Sorry for the late reply but only saw this now and I'd like to know what you were referring to? Everything I said in my post was in the media. I wasn't making it up. We're now finding out more and more and like that article says, "This is not rocket science". He's not the first and he won't be the last, unfortunately.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    Thank goodness I'm finally starting to see some of the focus shifted to the real victim in this case. I was sickened by all the attention this killer was getting and the amount of sympathy towards him.

Frankly, I don't care if you're an athlete, a cop or the President. This was cold blooded murder. Period.

He took the cowardly way out just like so many before him.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...5/ijvm.01.html
    I was sympathetic with him in the beginning, before more facts came out. The reason for that was that I was thinking a person must have to be in a really desperate place to decide that suicide is their only option. I thought maybe he couldn't take anymore and snapped.

But then as more facts came out and I thought about it more:
    1. He left his child an orphan.
    2. He killed a 22 year old with a 3 month old child.
    3. He killed her in front of his mother and then left his mother to deal with the dead girlfriend, the crying baby, and not knowing what he was going to do, if he was going to kill someone else, or take his own life, or what. And she has to live with the memories of that day for the rest of her life. Someday her grandchild is going to want to know from her exactly what happened because she was the one who was there and she is going to have to tell her or let her find out on the internet.
    4. He killed himself in front of two coaches and the GM and now they have to live with that the rest of their lives.
    5. He spent the night before with another woman.
    6. Also, reports from things he had done in the past, like violence when upset with girlfriends, and bullying kids at school.

After thinking about all those things, I realized he was just selfish. He wasn't concerned about anyone but himself. He didn't care what impact this was going to have on his mother, his daughter, his girlfriends' friends and family, his own friends and family, his coaches, the GM, fellow football players, fans, the NFL, or anyone else. It was all about him.
    Last edited by Luzianne; 12-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Luzianne For This Useful Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...iIBMqINJBP1qoN

WATCH: Police release videos from Chiefs LB Belcher's murder-suicide
    JMO

Baby's Paternity the Reason for Belcher's Murder/Suicide?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...aiKszh4wGgLjPJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
    Baby's Paternity the Reason for Belcher's Murder/Suicide?

Wow he shot her nine times!! It doesn't matter if he wasn't the father, it does not justify him murdering her. He is a selfish man. He was jealous of the possibility of her being with another man but yet he had been out with another woman that very night. Sick of mean that harm women, sick of men that think they are God's gift to the world.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danzn16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by danzn16 View Post
    Wow he shot her nine times!! It doesn't matter if he wasn't the father, it does not justify him murdering her. He is a selfish man. He was jealous of the possibility of her being with another man but yet he had been out with another woman that very night. Sick of mean that harm women, sick of men that think they are God's gift to the world.
    I bet he is the father and they're just looking for an excuse/justification at this point.

Nothing would justify murdering someone in cold blood.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14...est=latestnews

“The mother believed that there was an issue over whether [Belcher] was the father,” said a source close to the Chiefs with knowledge of the situation.

“She said he [believed he] wasn’t necessarily the father of the child.”

Under the surviving-child benefit of the NFL’s collective-bargaining agreement, little Zoey stands to receive more than $1 million.

It would seem that the insurance company or who ever holds the insurance plan would not have to pay if it is/was proven that Belcher is not the father, just saying. jmo
    Last edited by Elley Mae; 12-14-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    JMO

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

Yah it always seems to come down to $$$$

If they're unsure all it takes is a paternity test and they'll get the results instantly. This poor baby girl is left without a mommy.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast