CA CA: Reynolds, Orvis Age 67 Found 1999

Note spelling on this record

Social Security Death

Name: Orvus Reynolds
SSN: 392-XXXXXX
Last Residence: 92313 Grand Terrace, San Bernardino, California, United States of America
Born: 1 May 1932
Died: 3 Sep 1999
State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (1953-1954)

Really sad case, he may have been institutionalised his entire life. The last place he lived was a retirement home. He appears on the 1940 at the age of 7 in the census as an 'inmate' of the Southern Wisconsin Colony and Training School for the Feebleminded. In 1935 he was living on a farm in a rural area of Vernon, Wisconsin.

We may never find family for him.. But I won't give up

I emailed the institution in Wisconsin where he had lived, asking if there was any chance they had any old records that might indicate his parents names, or anyone else. No reply yet, but I can't really find any other way to find potential siblings. I'm assuming there was SOME family at some point, as I doubt he would have ended up in California unless a relative moved him there, probably.

He may have been a ward of the state and they can move them to other institutions that they may own. If that is the case those records could be sealed and we may never know. JMO

I think you might be right, but I thought it might be worth a shot, seems like the likeliest lead. That, or the retirement/nursing home he died yet, if there were records to show he was placed there by the state, or by a relation. Even the name of one relative would help. Though I suppose we ought to be glad his name wasn't something more common like John, then it would be really impossible to find.

Okay, tiny news. I've heard back from the institution. They can't give any proper information without family approval - so it's a bit of a Catch 22. I did ask if there was ANYTHING they could tell me, and was told his birthplace according to his records is La Crosse, Wisconsin - not clear if the city or the county. Also there is very little information on the record. I'm assuming it does list his parents though, which would be the most important thing. Oh well.

At least that is a lead, I will make a call to the ME and check if they have those records

At least that is a lead, I will make a call to the ME and check if they have those records

Do let me know if you hear back! There are some possibilities, but without SOME information about the parents it's impossible. Even father's first name, or mother's maiden name would really help.

As of now, we only have this little bit of info. Nothing more helpful. I wonder if he was dropped off and the parents just left.

As of now, we only have this little bit of info. Nothing more helpful. I wonder if he was dropped off and the parents just left.

I have found a very vague possibility for his father. As there were no Reynolds families living in Vernon in the 1940 census, I decided to look for people anywhere in Wisconsins in the 1940 census, that list their 1935 residence as Vernon, Wisconsin. (Unfortunately there is no 1935 state census or anything similar).

I've come across a Harold R. Reynolds, a hired-man farm labourer. He was born in approximately 1904/1903. In the 1940 census he is listed as divorced and living in Akan Town, Wisconsin. His 1935 location is given as Rural, Vernon, Wisconsin. Here he is in 1940: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K7JJ-Y28

In 1930, Harold was still single and working as a hired man in Kickapoo, Vernon, Wisconsin for a different family: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X93Q-QF3#

In his WWII recruitment papers, he is listed as divorced with no dependants, but if he had signed over rights to his own child, who was disabled, he may well be with dependants and quite possibly never told anyone about his son. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMKC-519

Harold R. Reynolds died in 1979 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V83Q-W3Y

If this was Orvus' father, he could have married shortly before Orvus' birth, and then divorced once their only son was born disabled. It's not unlikely for the time.

Unfortunately there is no record I can find of his mother, since I have no idea what her name might be or even what surname she was using in 1940 - Reynolds, her maiden name, maybe even a second married name.

There is no access to Wisconsin birth, marriage, or death records online at all. I've also searched for married Reynolds couples living anywhere in Wisconsin with a 1935 address of Vernon, Wisconsin but none fit that I could find.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back