Another bullied child -David Q. Phan-commits suicide

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
We the adults must address this problem; we are losing too many children.

14-year-old Bennion Jr. High student commits suicide

TAYLORSVILLE, Utah – A 14-year-old boy died Thursday afternoon after he shot himself on a skywalk leading to Bennion Jr. High School in Taylorsville.

The family allowed police to release the name of the victim. He was identified as David Q. Phan.

The shooting occurred at about 3 p.m., shortly after school ended for the day...

...Maheta Wily says she wasn’t completely surprised to learn of the suicide; the boy had been bullied for years.

“Kind of half and half I kind of did feel it coming but I didn’t know it would go that far,” Maheta said. “They name-called, they played jokes on him. They had charity week and they sent him telegram teasing him and in PE class they stole his clothes.”

A spokesman for Granite School District said David reported being bullied while in the seventh grade and had been meeting with a counselor on a regular basis, but had not made any recent reports of being bullied.

http://fox13now.com/2012/11/29/student-shoots-self-near-bennion-jr-high/

There was no recent reports because the kids give up... they know nothing is done.. so why go through the embaressment of admitting you're the butt of people jokes when you know it won't make a difference :(

There was no recent reports because the kids give up... they know nothing is done.. so why go through the embaressment of admitting you're the butt of people jokes when you know it won't make a difference :(

The school systems need to have a better approach to this issue; if this bullying is occurring on school time, during the school hours, then it must be addressed there.

We parents send our kids to school to learn not to be bullied. :banghead:

I think that this should become every bodies problem. We need to put the heads of parents, teachers, children, mayors, activist just everybody together. The same way we've achieved any kind of rights, through knowledge and acceptance. It needs to be clear that bulling is behavior that is not acceptable. I know it's not going to be that easy, but we need to start acknowledging that there is a problem. I know people are trying to solve this problem, but when young kids are dying it needs to be more than just talked about, we should treat it as a disease that is spreading throughout communities in America.

According to the video, he went home early after a meeting with the principal. I wonder what happened there.

According to the video, he went home early after a meeting with the principal. I wonder what happened there.

I don't think that will be released publicly unless the parents are the ones to do so. It seems when bullied kids fight back they are the ones who get in more trouble.

This has got to stop.

Agreed, however it won't until there is a fundemental change in attitudes toward people perceived as different in society. I don't think the article said anything about why he was being bullied but in many cases, when it's male on male bullying it's because they other boys think the object of their abuse is 'queer.' As I have said on other threads this is never going to stop until there is a stop to the hate being promoted in some churches every Sunday. You can hate the sin but I think Christ wants us to love the sinner. That part is not getting through to many kids and their families.

I wasn't going to mention this but have to- this was in Utah- was this kid LDS, or were the bullies? Despite recent changes in their teachings, a lot of prejudice lingers in Mormons against gays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back