Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder leads to suicide of woman, age 39

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
This story is heartbreaking. Because there is no diagnosis code, insurance wouldn't pay for treatment. She couldn't hold down a job, couldn't get relief, and was in constant pain due to this condition. Seems like with all the sexual disorders for men, more research could be done in this area for woman - and then maybe someone could have taken her seriously or offered her some help.

She committed suicide just as the paper was running her story --- in hopes of getting some attention for her. She thanked them for the publicity, but succeeded in suicide after numerous previous attempts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orgasm disorder leads to suicide

The 39-year-old took her own life after struggling with the condition for 17 years, reports the Tampa Bay Times. PGAD is characterized by persistent, unwanted genital sensation or arousal that can be devastating for sufferers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10014792.html

The original article, started before her suicide, in hopes of getting her some help. Unbelievable - the callousness of the doctor who made the comment quoted below:

Persistent genital arousal disorder brings woman agony, not ecstasy

http://www.tampabay.com/features/hu...sorder-brings-woman-agony-not-ecstasy/1263980

..... This is the point in Gretchen Molannen's story that invariably makes people snicker, or wince, or make jokes like: "I wish my wife had that." That one came from a doctor...

I know this is a 'taboo' subject in our society - orgasms. Especially women and orgasms. This woman's needless suffering and death really has angered me because of this taboo - b/c there is no code for insurance coverage, b/c the judge ruled she just wanted money, etc.

The article about her death: Woman featured in Times story about sexual disorder commits suicide

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/medicine/article1264559.ece

From that link:

4stbgretchen120512_250771d.jpg

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00250/4stbgretchen120512_250771d.jpg

RIP dear lady, may you finally find the peace you sought so long. may your story also be used to help others understand and bring help to those that suffer as you did.

How awful to be suffering and have to put up with idiots who make light of it.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk 2

i can understand the judge wanting to be cautious in his finding and i don't really think it would have made a whole lot of difference in her case. she seems to have been at the end of her rope to begin with sadly. and i'm sure it would have opened the door for some to take advantage of it...but i really wish this woman had been able to find help.

I'm just sad to see so many people come forward after reading the article, all wanting to help- so tragic that it was too late. This poor woman had come so far, but couldn't see that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

so sad. how horrible to be so alone and so misunderstood as she was. RIP Gretchen.

After reading several articles on her. I think she had constant feelings that like those felt during arousal and did not have constant spontaneous orgasms, but they were what gave a little relief. Seems like it would be like having constant bladder infection or urethritis. I didn't like how the article focused on arousal more than the pain involved that felt similar to arousal. I guess they tried to help her though. You'd think a judge would grant social security based on mental after suicide attempts and constant thoughts of it.

i can understand the judge wanting to be cautious in his finding and i don't really think it would have made a whole lot of difference in her case. she seems to have been at the end of her rope to begin with sadly. and i'm sure it would have opened the door for some to take advantage of it...but i really wish this woman had been able to find help.

After reading several articles on her. I think she had constant feelings that like those felt during arousal and did not have constant spontaneous orgasms, but they were what gave a little relief. Seems like it would be like having constant bladder infection or urethritis. I didn't like how the article focused on arousal more than the pain involved that felt similar to arousal. I guess they tried to help her though. You'd think a judge would grant social security based on mental after suicide attempts and constant thoughts of it.

I agree. In reading the articles, it's also sad to hear of the other women with the same problem. They've had nerves blocked and one even had her clitoris removed. But it still didn't solve the problem.

I have never heard of this disorder until reading this article -- I really hope more research is done. These women and others deserve that much. If a man was walking around with a visible erection from continuous arousal, more attention would be paid to the problem. But for a woman, there's no visual sign of it, so it's like "it's all in your head".

I hope the article and especially her tragic suicide brings more attention to this problem.

I totally agree with the notion that if this were a condition men suffered from, the stigma would likely be (mostly) removed, and research/treatment would have been a higher priority. Sad.

I agree. In reading the articles, it's also sad to hear of the other women with the same problem. They've had nerves blocked and one even had her clitoris removed. But it still didn't solve the problem.

I have never heard of this disorder until reading this article -- I really hope more research is done. These women and others deserve that much. If a man was walking around with a visible erection from continuous arousal, more attention would be paid to the problem. But for a woman, there's no visual sign of it, so it's like "it's all in your head".

I hope the article and especially her tragic suicide brings more attention to this problem.

bbm Agree with you there is no visual sign like an erection but I do wonder if it is a mental versus a physical disorder.

I haven't read all the articles so forgive me if the topic of perhaps it being a mental disorder or illness was already discussed.

Thoughts?

Sad for this woman.

bbm Agree with you there is no visual sign like an erection but I do wonder if it is a mental versus a physical disorder.

I'm definitely not an expert, but everything I've read points to a physical disorder- something to do with damaged nerves. It's apparent to me that while the condition itself may present physically, the toll it takes is also mental.

I'm definitely not an expert, but everything I've read points to a physical disorder- something to do with damaged nerves. It's apparent to me that while the condition itself may present physically, the toll it takes is also mental.

Yes, I read the same regarding the assumption that damaged nerves may be the cause but there is a lot more research to be done and I hope they explore the possibility that it may be "brain" related. As an example: I've read where castration doesn't necessarily stop the urges and behavior therapy and medication needs to be administered along with the procedure for it to be effective.

I'm no expert either but just pondering other possible causes. Hope they find a treatment.

I agree. I think there are disorders that manifest in the way of physical symptoms that are rooted in the brain- literally, it's all in one's head- though I understand everyone (here, at least, in this forum) knows it's real, and nothing to take lightly. I think of phantom limb syndrome as an example- the very real pain someone who's had a limb amputated feels in the "area" that no longer exists. Sorry- thought of the limb thing because of another thread I'm following. It's on the brain, I guess- no pun intended! :cool:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back