745 users online (101 members and 644 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165

    Among the dead: Ella the deer befriends abandoned dog at historic Elmwood Cemetery

    Animal friends carve out a life among the dead in KC cemetery (Kansas City Star)
    Ella, the deer that lives alone among the tombs and gravestones in Kansas City’s historic Elmwood Cemetery, has found a companion.

    The doe that was born in the cemetery and then lost her mother to traffic has befriended an injured dog that is believed to have been dumped by its owners at the burial ground.
    ---
    “They’ve just been hanging out together,” said Elmwood trustee Bruce Mathews. “They’ll lie down together.”
    ---
    “Ella’s our mascot, and she apparently has got a friend in this dog, and she enjoys the company,” said John Weilert. “But Ella’s a deer, and the dog is not going to be able to handle the winter conditions the way she can.”
    ---
    In the meantime, volunteers leave food and water out for the dog, which is not aggressive but is apprehensive of people. It runs away on three legs when approached.
    ---
    Weilert and other friends of Elmwood say the best outcome would be for a shelter to take the dog and try to find it a good home. They are working on that.
    ---
    much more at the link

    Elmwood Cemetery (Wiki)

    Historic Elmwood Cemetery website

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    825
    Touching story. Thanks for sharing it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    939
    i wish they would make a windbreak/ shelter for both of them and leave them together.
    a big round bale of hay would probably do fine.

    if she is so lonely that she follows people, it would be cruel to take her only companion away.

    it is also possible that somebody could take them both. somebody with a big place with woods.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Elmwood is 43 acres. There are wooded areas adjacent to it, iirc. It's home now for Ella, where she was born. She's tame.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Elmwood is 43 acres. There are wooded areas adjacent to it, iirc. It's home now for Ella, where she was born. She's tame.
    so, she is safe, and apparently accepted there, so all that needs doing is winter
    protection and feeding for the doggie, right? im sure there are animal lovers nearby who wouldnt mind feeding one doggie...

    how cold does it get there? i know it gets pretty cold in wichita.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    so, she is safe, and apparently accepted there, so all that needs doing is winter
    protection and feeding for the doggie, right? im sure there are animal lovers nearby who wouldnt mind feeding one doggie...

    how cold does it get there? i know it gets pretty cold in wichita.
    It gets very, very cold in Kansas City.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    This certainly is seasonal. Add the windbreak/shelter, the lean-to/stable, with Ella the doe the life in a place of death, and her disciple the small dog, injured and alone, close by her side, and it's figuratively quite close to the creche isn't it. Doesn't take much to see that twosome, guided by a shining star, around the cradled boy child, himself life in a place of death, savior of the lost and lame.

    Seasonal indeed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the prowl
    Posts
    26,409
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    This certainly is seasonal. Add the windbreak/shelter, the lean-to/stable, with Ella the doe the life in a place of death, and her disciple the small dog, injured and alone, close by her side, and it's figuratively quite close to the creche isn't it. Doesn't take much to see that twosome, guided by a shining star, around the cradled boy child, himself life in a place of death, savior of the lost and lame.

    Seasonal indeed.
    Definitely a beautiful picture to imagine.

    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,086
    They separated them.

    That poor deer, Ella, had to watch another soulmate removed from her short life. I am not a fan of the Wayside Waifs (whomever they are) that removed the lab.


    eta: okay, I admit to watching the movie, Hachi, recently (I remember reading the story in the news) and I just watched War Horse-- so, yeah, I'm tender. Really tender.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    They separated them.

    That poor deer, Ella, had to watch another soulmate removed from her short life. I am not a fan of the Wayside Waifs (whomever they are) that removed the lab.


    eta: okay, I admit to watching the movie, Hachi, recently (I remember reading the story in the news) and I just watched War Horse-- so, yeah, I'm tender. Really tender.
    Noooooo...

    And what about the dog who found a friend? I'm very disappointed in humans...that someone(s) couldn't have found a way to keep them together.

    I was excited to see a recent post and got my hopes up for good news.

    Seriously, this hurts my heart and soul.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,456
    Quiche, do you have a link?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,232
    Oh, how cruel for poor Ella.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,456
    They baited a humane trap with dog treats, and on Saturday morning a cemetery volunteer reported that the dog had been captured.Ella was by the trap when the team from the shelter came to retrieve the dog.


    “Ella was standing right by the van when the dog departed, looking kind of forlorn,” said John Weilert, president of the Elmwood Cemetery Society.


    Article also said the cemetery people were concerned that setting up a doghouse would attract strays that mite not be friendly to Ella.

    Surely there was a better solution than separating them permanently.

    There's another story out there about a family with a dog that befriended a wild deer. The deer stayed wild but comes to visit and romp with the dog. I like that story better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM
  2. Dead poodle's $11,000 diamond collar stolen from pet cemetery in France
    By wfgodot in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
  3. Deer, Goose Make Unlikely 'Friends' At Cemetery
    By Cubby in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM
  4. Man Gets Probation for Sexual Contact with Dead Deer
    By RPPaolin in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
  5. Fake Dr, Stolen Ambulance, Dead Deer with IV
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 10:50 PM