UK - Nurse duped by prankster regarding royal, found dead.

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.canoe.ca/Canoe/Royal/news/2012/12/07/20415476.html

"The death, which police said they were treating as unexplained, comes days after the King Edward VII hospital apologized after falling for the call from an Australian radio station and relaying details about Kate’s condition.

“It is with very deep sadness that we confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha,” the hospital said in a statement.

“We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital. The hospital had been supporting her,” the statement said.

Police said they had been called at 9:35 a.m. (0935 GMT) about a woman found unconscious at an address near the hospital. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by ambulance staff"

This is so sad. As I said elsewhere, maybe she was threatened with being reported to the draconian NMC. I read that she was Filipina, maybe looking at losing her livelihood and her citizenship.
All for the sake of an idiotic prank :furious:

So sad. Will shock jocks never learn?

As if hard working nurses did not have enough stress to deal with besides taking stupid calls, not to mention the ADDED STRESS for the expectant Mom!

Telegraph:
Gordon Rayner ‏@gordonrayner
2Day FM presenters Michael Christian and Mel Greig will not be broadcasting until further notice, station says

This is so tragic. While I think that falling victim to such a widely publicized hoax would be a terrible thing to endure, this nurse must have had some underlying issues to take her life over it. My heart goes out to her family and to all involved.

It seems that the Palace was not overly concerned and was supportive of the hospital and the nurse, and I'm sure the DJ's meant to no harm.

It's just very very sad all around.

I thought the same thing when I read that she had passed. There must have been other things that troubled this woman for her to take such a drastic measure. Unless of course she worried that she would be fired and then couldn't support herself and her family (I didn't see anywhere that she had children).

Very sad. The DJ's must feel horrible. It was a stupid thing to do but who would have thought that they would have been given so much information. Possibly they could have let the nurse in on the joke before she started giving information, or just hung up.

Jacintha Saldanha culture i believe would make her find shame difficult, so very sad, i'm sure there were some repremands around the hospital, she felt foolish, so sad.
Sad for Kate too. JMO

In case others were wondering too....here is a recording of the call. Really not all that scandalous though it is amazing that the hospital believed them.

I really don't understand why the DJ's were getting so much hate mail, this is what DJ's do and this prank wasn't even cruel. It is actually pretty funny especially when the woman says "When can we visit? Being the Queen I need to catch a lift....Charles you drive me?"

[video=youtube;PmS8JwyRUdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmS8JwyRUdk[/video]

while it would be a sick prank i almost wish the news would report the nurse's suicide was a retaliation prank on the DJs. "to teach them a lesson" but i know it probably isn't going to happen.

---
“It would be open to the Attorney General to consider the possibility of a prosecution for treason.

“To impersonate the monarch is to suggest that you are the monarch and the true monarch doesn’t exist.”

The crime — which has been on the books since the reign of Henry IV — extends to citizens of Commonwealth countries including Australia.
---
Doubt they'll be charged. But it is actually a crime. Henry IV ruled 1367-1413.

http://tinyurl.com/b6mp9c8

Under that rule of law (above), the pretenders to the throne Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck were prosecuted, and executed. It was a rule extended in 1701 to include treason against the monarchy through corresponding with James Francis Edward Stuart, the Old Pretender, in France.

Would like to see the pair prosecuted, in a way. Let's see who's quite so jolly then.

Pretenders (Wiki)

Act of 1701 (Wiki)

I thought the same thing when I read that she had passed. There must have been other things that troubled this woman for her to take such a drastic measure. Unless of course she worried that she would be fired and then couldn't support herself and her family (I didn't see anywhere that she had children).

She was married with two children.

Undoubtedly there were other things going on in her life - but this is what pushed her over theedge, and it was utterly unnecessary. I've never ever been a fan of "prank calls".

One of these DJ's was reprimanded for another shockjock stunt:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/03/kyle-sandilands-dj-australian-idol

Monday 3 August 2009 11.46 EDT

Sandilands' lie detector stunt caused an outcry after the girl was strapped to a polygraph machine and quizzed by her mother about whether she was sexually active.

The mother volunteered to quiz her daughter, now aged 14, despite apparently already knowing she had been assaulted.

"I've already told you the story about this, and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny," said the girl. "Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old."

Sandilands, who presented the show with Jackie O'Neil, was accused of further insensitivity when he asked: "Right, and is that the only sexual experience you've had?"

Both the Mother and this shock jock were (can't type the word or I'll get a time out).

Both the Mother and this shock jock were (can't type the word or I'll get a time out).
o/t but I stumbled upon some first-rate Scottish name-calling yesterday. Must post somewhere, lol. From Deadspin.

And a collection of tweets from Anorak:

Reactions to the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha: Mel Greig and Michael Christian are killers?

Earlier collection of links, DJ tweets, and reactions, same source:

What killed Jacintha Saldanha? Kate Middleton’s pranked nurse is dead

i don't think so Kat, Sandiland is a shock jock, but this is a differt dude and dudess

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back