879 users online (127 members and 752 guests)  

Websleuths News

Barn Cat Buddies finds homes for 'unadoptable' feral felines

A good story for Caturday night.

Barn Cat Buddies serves special need (www2.wsls.com)
    ---
    Diane Novak is the program coordinator.

“We look for nontraditional homes, alternative homes for cats that aren't that social that you wouldn't keep normally in a regular home situation,” Diane said.

So instead of finding a home for a cat ready to curl up in your lap, they’re taking feral cats and finding them an outdoor setting like a barn, garden center, or shed. In those locations, the cats can live comfortably and even earn their keep, chasing mice and other rodents.

Since 2007, Barn Cat Buddies has saved hundreds of cats, many deemed unadoptable.
    ---
    the rest at the link, with a video

The Barn Cat Buddies website

Thanks for sharing this link. I am adding BCB to my "Christmas list".

I've got a 4 yr old rescue bengal like that, that needs an alternative home. Sad too because she's gorgeous.

This is awesome! Thankfully there are groups who make alternatives to kill-shelters and save our feline friends.

Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

Quote Originally Posted by peeples View Post
    I've got a 4 yr old rescue bengal like that, that needs an alternative home. Sad too because she's gorgeous.
    I rescued a senior Bengal when her human passed away. She was beautiful and very loving toward us, however, she had been an "only child" for years and didn't care much for the other cats in our home.
    Rest in Peace

Aww, I love this story! Anyone who knows me, know I love cats and have my own "kitty city". My current population of kitties is about about 8-12. All are spayed/neutered except for one male I cant catch. Population varies because some are strays that wander in and stay a while. Other are "ghost cats" that i never really see except for glimpses of them because they are so wild. Of course, I also have ones that are quite tame and lovable.

I have two very wild untouchable cats that I inherited when my uncle passed away 2 years ago. They were just strays that he loved and fed and even he could never touch them. It took a lot of patience (and treats) to finally catch them and bring them home with me. They will eat bits of yummy meat from my hand but will never let me touch them, it is just too scary for them. So I respect that and am just happy that they will eat from my hand and come and sit by me on the porch.

I am fortunate to live on a huge piece of property with no neighbors for miles so my kitties have lots of room to roam and sheds to shelter in. Of course they also have little warm kennels that I make for them in the winter.I have a little house (200 sq ft) that I used to live in and allow them to go in and out as they please because I leave to door open for them. They get regular meals and frequent treats of steak, pork chops, chicken, fish, shrimp and even alligator. Cajun kitties eat good food!!

I like to think my home is a refuge for kitties, especially those that would not be suited to be house pets or that have never had a real home. I would have more cats but Mr. Swamp says I am at my limit. There are a few that he doesn't know about since they hide and only come out at night to eat and avoid all human contact.

I love mornings when they are gathered and waiting for their breakfast. I call them and more of them appear from all over and gather on the porch of my playhouse where I feed them. I simply sprinkle kitty kibbles all over the porch because using bowls would cause fusses over whose bowl is whose.

How wonderful that there are other people in the world who look out for animals who need nontraditional homes.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html

Caturday!

I'm so happy to hear this story, and happy to hear that others try to feed the poor outdoor kitties and look out for them.

In this area, the cities and counties, feral cats are euthanized. It makes no sense b/c the rat population is out of control. It is so awful to me. Keep them around and they will take care of pesky issues.

I've always thought this is a great alternative, especially for farm owners, or people with lots of land and empty buildings. It is good to know others think it and do it!

Thank you to all animal lovers out there that do their part!

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

a few of the somewhat feral "city kitties" I feed. They are so appreciative. Next step is to trap & neuter. I also have 9 at home (all came with a sad-last chance story) & 4 we still have at my mother's (she died last year). I keep crunchies in my car for "parking lot kitties", it's comforting to know they would have a full tummy at least once.

SwampMama, I love you & your cajun kitties, keep up the good work. If swamppapa cannot count them, they aren't really there.

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post
    a few of the somewhat feral "city kitties" I feed. They are so appreciative. Next step is to trap & neuter. I also have 9 at home (all came with a sad-last chance story) & 4 we still have at my mother's (she died last year). I keep crunchies in my car for "parking lot kitties", it's comforting to know they would have a full tummy at least once.

SwampMama, I love you & your cajun kitties, keep up the good work. If swamppapa cannot count them, they aren't really there.

They look very content and aren't camera shy! Blessings to you, and everyone here who has posted their care for 'ferals', and especially supporting the TNR program.

Rest in Peace

I'll check in with mention of my feral rescue cat Osbert, who I loved like life itself, and who I miss very much.

I love all animals also, but sometimes these rescuers are doing more harm than good. I have seen owners who can't afford to give them proper medical treatment and when one gets sick they all get sick. It looks like this lady is responsible, but I have seen some that have so many that there is cat dodo and urine every where, which is so unhealthy for both the animals and owners. I think that euthanization is awful, but I also think an animal suffering is awful. I rescued one and she got out and got pregnant before I could get her fixed. She had five kittens. I had them all fixed as soon as they were old enough. The mother is now 19 and doing well. She outlived all her kittens. As one would pass away my kids or their friends seem to find another. The last two I rescued were left on the side of a major highway, they were maybe about 3 weeks old. They think I'm their mommy til this day. They are now 8. I'm holding at 5 cats which is what I have now. After these pass I'm going to quit. Maybe. Or at least keep it down to 1 or 2.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

I love all animals also, but sometimes these rescuers are doing more harm than good. I have seen owners who can't afford to give them proper medical treatment and when one gets sick they all get sick. It looks like this lady is responsible, but I have seen some that have so many that there is cat dodo and urine every where, which is so unhealthy for both the animals and owners. I think that euthanization is awful, but I also think an animal suffering is awful. I rescued one and she got out and got pregnant before I could get her fixed. She had five kittens. I had them all fixed as soon as they were old enough. The mother is now 19 and doing well. She outlived all her kittens. As one would pass away my kids or their friends seem to find another. The last two I rescued were left on the side of a major highway, they were maybe about 3 weeks old. They think I'm their mommy til this day. They are now 8. I'm holding at 5. After these pass I'm going to quit. Maybe. Or at least keep it down to 1 or 2.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by noZme View Post

I love the picture and thank you for your kind words. I had to smile when you mentioned keeping crunchies in your car for parking lot cats. I do the same thing. I know I cant rescue them all and take them home but it makes me feel a bit better to know that they have a good meal. If that makes me a crazy cat lady, then so be it, I am happy to be one.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html

Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    I rescued a senior Bengal when her human passed away. She was beautiful and very loving toward us, however, she had been an "only child" for years and didn't care much for the other cats in our home.
    I fear that will happen to daughter's(avatar) as well. She needs a play mate.

Merry Christmas from Tally
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

When I finally put it together and get my place, there will be a barn. And I will absolutely need barn cats. I LOVE that this organization is dealing with those kitties who are too feral to become house cats; are finding a way to help them, and to bring them to a safe place, where they're wanted, and where they'll be fed and handled.

I've "turned" many ferals into housecats, but there is one who lives inside with me who is still feral, even after close to 10 years. She will never be a lap kitty, but she has had a decent life, has a best friend, and is out of the elements and does not have to deal with cars. She is safe and warm, has enough food, and I'm content to let her be who she is...

But when I get my place, I will get another 6 or so cats for barn work. LOL

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.