Picture perfect: Lakota youth find hope with a camera

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Out of despair comes HOPE.

When Danielle Griffith's college business class was asked to pick a topic for a public-service campaign last semester, the choice was simple.

"Everybody in class just pinpointed it down to suicide. Every single student, that's the one they chose," she said.

Griffith and the rest of Ahmed Al-Asfour's Introduction to Business class at Oglala Lakota College collaborated with media professionals from the Black Hills chapter of the American Advertising Federation to fight the epidemic of youth suicide on the reservation by asking one question: "What does hope look like to you?"

The OLC class handed out 200 disposable cameras to students in grade schools and middle schools in three reservation communities and asked them to think about hope, define it and photograph it.

The result was 2,000 photographs, the best of which became the Lakota Voice Project, a grassroots anti-suicide campaign that looks for answers in the same place where the problem is most acute: the children of the Pine Ridge Reservation.

The teenage suicide rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is 150 percent higher than the national average. Children as young as 6 have reportedly tried to take their own lives. In 2009, the president of the Oglala Sioux Tribe declared a suicide state of emergency, and that emergency still exists today

http://rapidcityjournal.com/lifesty...cle_78bc54e9-9f0c-5b3d-916b-53878698ae59.html

This is a powerful story. I just wish the article made the photographs easier to view and had more captions.

2427731_orig.jpg

Jacie,

If they took some of the money and erected hoop houses for green houses, in conjunction with an aquaponics system, do you think there would be enough customers in the immediate area off the reservation to sell fresh vegetables and fish to in order to keep them in business? I don't know the area...

The outdoor hoop houses can be kept above freezing temps by putting (hot) compost around and in them. A few steel buildings, properly designed would work even better through the winter time. They can be designed with enough clear skylights to minimize the amount of artificial lighting needed for the plants. Heat can also be obtained through solar for the tanks as well as the buildings. Aerators for the fish tanks can be run by solar as well. The initial outlay would be more but the drop in expenses would be worth it.

Question: Do the people on Pine Ridge qualify for food stamps? I ask because they are considered a sovereign nation. Seeds, herbs and vegetable starter plants can be purchased with food stamps by the home gardener.

Tilapia are the fish most used in aquaponics set ups but they are not cold tolerant.
Another, cold hearty fish that does well in tanks would be needed.

If none of this is an option it might benefit those who are willing to garden and try aquaponics for the benefit of their own families. They might be able to then sell their surplus or give it to needy families on the reservation.

I don't know the "ins and outs" of reservation life and their laws with regards to agriculture and the sale of plants and fish.

I do know, that here in FL, I can sell my live Tilapia but I am not allowed to clean, skin, filet or otherwise prepare them for market without all of the necessary licenses.

If they did set up a commercial aquaponics system it would create jobs. The first system would eventually pay for itself and make it possible to start another system, thereby creating even more jobs.

My question would be if there is enough local demand for organically grown vegetables and herbs along with the fish. Second question would be is there anybody else locally already doing this same thing.

Just ideas running wild in my head. Apologies if this post is off topic.

Some do qualify for EBT and there are commodities aka gubment cheese.

Part of the problem with hydroponics is weather; it was -21 last night and will be -35 to -45 in January/February/March. Another prohibitive factor is the cost of energy, it is so much higher. Personal incomes are not very high on most rezzes and so cost of buying the products would be prohibitive.

One encouraging thing is the number of new students from Pine Ridge enrolled in college classes on the rez and off. I will pass the information in your post to a friend from Pine Ridge who is a teacher, thanks for the post.

Jacie,

If they took some of the money and erected hoop houses for green houses, in conjunction with an aquaponics system, do you think there would be enough customers in the immediate area off the reservation to sell fresh vegetables and fish to in order to keep them in business? I don't know the area...

The outdoor hoop houses can be kept above freezing temps by putting (hot) compost around and in them. A few steel buildings, properly designed would work even better through the winter time. They can be designed with enough clear skylights to minimize the amount of artificial lighting needed for the plants. Heat can also be obtained through solar for the tanks as well as the buildings. Aerators for the fish tanks can be run by solar as well. The initial outlay would be more but the drop in expenses would be worth it.

Question: Do the people on Pine Ridge qualify for food stamps? I ask because they are considered a sovereign nation. Seeds, herbs and vegetable starter plants can be purchased with food stamps by the home gardener.

Tilapia are the fish most used in aquaponics set ups but they are not cold tolerant.
Another, cold hearty fish that does well in tanks would be needed.

If none of this is an option it might benefit those who are willing to garden and try aquaponics for the benefit of their own families. They might be able to then sell their surplus or give it to needy families on the reservation.

I don't know the "ins and outs" of reservation life and their laws with regards to agriculture and the sale of plants and fish.

I do know, that here in FL, I can sell my live Tilapia but I am not allowed to clean, skin, filet or otherwise prepare them for market without all of the necessary licenses.

If they did set up a commercial aquaponics system it would create jobs. The first system would eventually pay for itself and make it possible to start another system, thereby creating even more jobs.

My question would be if there is enough local demand for organically grown vegetables and herbs along with the fish. Second question would be is there anybody else locally already doing this same thing.

Just ideas running wild in my head. Apologies if this post is off topic.

Thanks Jacie!

I love what they did in giving the cameras to the children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back