982 users online (177 members and 805 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

FL - Stephanie Ross, 25, stabbed to death, Dade City, 10 Dec 2012

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...n_fatally.html

A woman is dead and a man behind bars after police said the man stabbed her as she ran down a Dade City street.
    Stephanie Ross, 25, died Monday after she was stabbed several times, police said.
    Lucious Smith, 53, was arrested in connection with her death. Officials said he is likely to be charged with murder.
    According to reports, Ross, who was an employee for Integra Health Management, was delivering some kind of insurance paperwork to Smith's home. Smith is one of the company's customers, police said.
    For some reason, Smith became angry and attacked Ross, police said.

911 calls alerted police to attack

Police learned about the attack shortly before noon after receiving 911 calls about a man chasing a woman on Coleman Avenue and stabbing her as she tried to flee.
    When officers arrived, they learned that Ross had been picked up by a passerby and taken to a local hospital, the report said.

Officers then went to a home in the 37000 block of Coleman Avenue, where they found Smith bleeding and standing in his apartment, police said.

Smith was bleeding, so officers contacted emergency medical crews to take him to a local hospital for treatment.

Officers then went to the hospital, where they learned Ross had been stabbed several times. She was pronounced dead at 1:27 p.m.

Smith was arrested and taken to jail after he was treated at the hospital.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

This is very disturbing to me! I worked in the insurance industry for 20 + years of which half where dealing with insurance agents. Every year I even went to awards banquets for the weekend with them and got to know many of the agents as friends. This really hits home to me. I even went to school to get my license and then I got sick and couldn't work anymore.

They're just trying to make a living and I have never seen this happen before. OMG, who would do this. The victim was 25 and just starting her career basically. It makes me sick.

Integra Health is a medicare/medicaid provider. In Florida agents must go out to a clients home to sign them up. They have to have you sign forms and stuff.

I have never in my career heard of an insurance agent being murdered by a client, this is so sad.
    Cindi Lou

Ex-con facing charges in Pasco stabbing death

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...ng_charge.html
    Cindi Lou

It IS sad and very frightening. My daughter works for a medical billing company and sometimes patients can become very angry when talking with her on the phone. They don't seem to realize she has nothing to do with the rules the insurance companies make. I worry now for her, my ex-husband who works in the insurance industry and any couriers they use.

Witness accounts

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...eath-by-client

Farkus also said she tried to reason with Smith. "But when I was telling him to stop, all he said was, 'This is not a woman, this is a f-ing man, and he owes me money and he tried to rob me.' That's what he said."
    Cindi Lou

FL - caseworker stabbed to death during home visit

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...popular_viewed

DADE CITY, Fla. (AP) — An inexperienced health care caseworker who visited a client at his home knew there was something that made her "very uncomfortable" about the 53-year-old man, even writing in his file that two people should visit him in the future.

Yet 25-year-old Stephanie Ross went alone to Lucious Smith's apartment Monday morning, and police said the ex-con with a history of violence inexplicably chased her down the street, stabbing her to death with a butcher knife..............

Smith was being held without bail at the Pasco County jail on a first-degree murder charge. It is unclear whether he has an attorney.

Ross became a service coordinator for Maryland-based Integra Health Management in September and wanted to help people with chronic illnesses, the company said in a statement........more at link.......

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Oh this makes me sick. My niece was a caseworker after college in Dallas and had to resign pretty quickly, due to being sent out alone and being threatened with violence more than once. States and counties have to find money to protect these workers. There are endless bond issues on every ballot for renovations to libraries and landscaping and "beautifying" highways. Priorities suck.
    Just my opinion, of course.

From last month:

Family of Slain Social Worker Sues Doctor

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/1...ues-doctor.htm

The family of a social worker fatally stabbed by a deranged patient claims in court the facility overseeing the killer's treatment ignored numerous warning signs that he posed a danger to others.

Tracey Stevens, the sister of the victim, Stephanie Nicole Ross, sued Dr. Fay Cannon and Baycare Behavioral Health, in Hillsborough County, Florida, on Oct. 17.

The lawsuit comes nearly four years after patient Lucious Smith, 53, chased Ross onto a street near his supported housing unit run by Baycare, and stabbed her multiple times with a butcher knife.

According to the complaint, Smith had not taken his medication for over a year, and was subject to frequent violent outbursts in the month leading up to Ross' death.

"Dr. Cannon and Baycare knew that Smith's decompensation was a serious safety concern for both Smith and those that might come into contact with Smith, but still Dr. Cannon and Baycare failed to take action and that failure cost Stephanie Ross her life," the complaint says.
    Ross, a recent college grad, had only worked as a service coordinator for Integra Health Management, a Baycare service provide for a few months.

After her slaying, a judge fined Integra more than $10,000 for OSHA violations related to Ross' death. Ross' family sued Integra for negligence in 2014, but settled with the company.

It was during that litigation, which also listed Baycare among the defendants, that Ross' family saw Smith's medical records from Cannon and Baycare.

The family's attorney, Bradford Stewart, of Frost Van Den Boom P.A., said Baycare refused to settle and denied any liability in Ross' death. This lawsuit, alleging violations of Florida's medical malpractice laws, followed.
    Lucious Smith was later determined to be mentally unfit for a trial.