1210 users online (248 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

SC - Joe, 66, & Joy Pittman, 62, murdered, 12yo grandson charged, 28 Nov 2001

http://www.courttv.com/trials/pittman/020805_ctv.html

Psychiatrist sticks to claim that Zoloft caused boy to kill

CHARLESTON, S.C. A child psychiatrist who says an antidepressant caused a 12-year-old to kill his grandparents conceded Tuesday that she did not even meet the boy until a year later..................................Atkins repeated her diagnosis that Christopher's use of the prescription drug Zoloft, an antidepressant, induced a psychotic reaction. The drug sent him into a homicidal mania, she said, and is to blame for the killings.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I've listened to some of the testimony on CTV. In this case, I don't buy it. His post incident behavior or covering up his crime, to me, doesn't go along with the psychosis.

jmho, of course.

Remember the kid who stole the plane and flew it into an office building last year...wasn't he supposed to be on some drug too? was it zoloft?

I have had a nephew on Zoloft. I absolutely, one hundred percent believe that it can take a depressed child and turn them into a psychotic killer. Taking "protective" actions after the horrible deed is done doesn't make me not believe he had a drug induced psychotic episode. This particular boy looks haunted to me. His facial expressions as he is sitting there in court break my heart. Don't get me wrong, the murder of his grandparents is a horrible tragedy, but if the murder was caused by the drug then this kid should not have to face the same consequences as someone who is simply evil.

No doctor should EVER prescribe this drug to a young person--the dangers are documented.

from what I have read

They are finding that more and more of the anti-depressants being given to kids are causing more suicidal behaviors in them. Most have not been oked for kids by the FDA due to insufficient testing. I am not sure whether Zoloft has been oked for kids or not. The sister testified that there was a change in his behavior after starting the drug.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/pittman/020705_ctv.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

From February 2005:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/02/15/zoloft.trial/

A judge sentenced a 15-year-old boy Tuesday to 30 years in prison for killing his grandparents after jurors rejected defense arguments that taking the antidepressant Zoloft drove the youth to kill.

The jury convicted Chris Pittman earlier Tuesday on two counts of murder in the 2001 slayings of his paternal grandparents, Joe and Joy Pittman.