NTSB: Require ignition locks for all drunk drivers

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=1&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L1_UNEWS

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal safety board is recommending that all states require ignition interlock devices for convicted drunk drivers, including first-time offenders.........short article......

Summary: Drunk driving causes around a third of the 32,000 traffic deaths/year....

69% of wrong-way drivers had illegal blood alcohol levels.....

17 states already require the device by convicted drunk drivers....

I think it's a good idea...1/3 of 32,000 people killed = over 10,000 deaths a year prevented if we can keep drunks off the road....

Our state has been doing this for a few years. Last time it was in the news, it was $2.00 per day for ever how long you had to have it, which is probably the entire 1 year restricted license. That price has probably gone up by now.

Some individuals have purchased their own just so they will not drive while drinking.

Does not serve as a deterrent for those that do not care though. I would think the cost would, it is up to over $10,000 now for one dui, that includes Court costs and fines, any jail costs, interlock, auto insurance, and attorney fees. That does not include the long term costs for years after, or even having to find rides for the year of restricted driving if even allowed that.

They require them here in Iowa if you want to get a work permit while your license is suspended on your 1st offense. I think it's mandatory to have one for a certain amount of time before you can get your license back if it's your 2nd offense. They are expensive, but I think they work in two ways: you can't start your car if you blow over a .02 and it's pretty humiliating to have to blow to start your car, then blow 5 minutes later and if you don't, your car starts honking or shuts off--ths is to keep drunk people from having someone else start their car.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back