Hero doctor who helped nail Bin Laden tortured in Pakistani prison

Well, what exactly is the U.S. supposed to do? He's in a jail with no visitors allowed and extra security because of a previously smuggled in phone.

If you want a SEAL team sent in, then we have to send SEALs in for every person who has helped us in the world who's in jail.

Well, what exactly is the U.S. supposed to do? He's in a jail with no visitors allowed and extra security because of a previously smuggled in phone.

If you want a SEAL team sent in, then we have to send SEALs in for every person who has helped us in the world who's in jail.

He/we can stop sending Pakistan so much money.

He can make it CLEAR that behavior such as that will not be tolerated while we bank roll them.

JMO

I don't know what I want the US to do. Doing nothing doesn't seem like the right thing to do though.

I don't know what I want the US to do. Doing nothing doesn't seem like the right thing to do though.

If something is being done, you won't know about it until it is over. Just like the assassination of bin Laden.

But the President of the United States is not a cartoon superhero. He can't just strap on his cape and fly around liberating guys we like. I'm sure he wishes he could.

If something is being done, you won't know about it until it is over. Just like the assassination of bin Laden.

But the President of the United States is not a cartoon superhero. He can't just strap on his cape and fly around liberating guys we like. I'm sure he wishes he could.

No but he can stop the steady flow of money.

Here is another article about the doctor from about six months ago. It includes history on his background prior to the assault on Bin Laden's hideout.

The Doctor’s Grim Reward
The Daily Beast/Newsweek
Jun 11, 2012 1:00 AM EDT

He helped lead America to bin Laden. Now he rots in a Pakistani prison.

"As the world now knows, that wasn’t the point. Although the immunization drive was genuine, it also had a covert aim: to confirm the identity of a mysterious man who was holed up unseen inside a high-walled compound. Afridi’s objective was to collect DNA samples from children living in the man’s home, in hopes that one or more might be the subject’s offspring. Newsweek’s interviews with health workers from the hepatitis-B campaign suggest that Afridi never managed to get those DNA samples. Nevertheless, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta publicly praised the doctor this past January for providing “intelligence that was very helpful” in pinpointing the exact location of Osama bin Laden."

He acted as a spy. We chose not to tell anyone including the Pakistanis what we were doing. When real spies get caught, they don't generally receive a get out of jail free card. Not much Obama can do about it, but I imagine secret State and Defense Department negotiations are ongoing. In case no one has noticed, we are very heavily engaged in spy wars throughout the world.

No but he can stop the steady flow of money.

Why do you think we send money to Pakistan?

Hint: it isn't because we like the regime and it isn't out of the goodness of our hearts.

Why do you think we send money to Pakistan?

Hint: it isn't because we like the regime and it isn't out of the goodness of our hearts.

Because of the war in Afghanistan.
I know why we "need" them.

We can do a lot. President Obama can do a lot.
We can cut off money we send to them-Obama can insist on his release-and minimally-to allow the United Nations to send representatives into interview him to see what's really going on. :furious::furious:

QUOTE=michmi;8628818]Well, what exactly is the U.S. supposed to do? He's in a jail with no visitors allowed and extra security because of a previously smuggled in phone.

If you want a SEAL team sent in, then we have to send SEALs in for every person who has helped us in the world who's in jail.[/QUOTE]

But they are not our friends.

They hid Bin Laden for years. They tipped him off every time we told them our plans.

It wasn't until we didn't tell then that the SEALS were able to get him.

I say brings our troops home and tell Pakistan to kiss our red white and blue hind ends. Cut off their funds.

They are corrupt. We don't "need" then.

The only thing we won't know until it's over is how they killed him. Even then-I think it will be covered up. By, yes. Even the USA.
There really are American super heroes-but they do not wear capes or masks.
In my opinion-our current President is not by any means ANY sort if hero.
Personally, I think that he feels that his agenda-"Rob from the rich and give to the poor" supersedes everything.
Including this poor Doctor's plight.

One final note before I get off my soapbox. The US of A should immediately stop funding countries who ignore human rights, such as Pakistan!:furious:

Why do You think we send money to Pakistan?

With that said, Why does the USA keep sending money to Nations that promote killing Americans?
The last thing we should EVER do is keep giving Muslim countries our own money, to fight us.
But, we do.
For me. I dissagree with President Obama's idea that We'll just be nice to them, and in kind, they'll be nice to us.
Well, Nope. They hate and want to destroy us.
I absolutely, do not want to send ANY American Money to the Middle East.
Actually. I think the powers that be-need to reevaluate where we send money to.
The Best Answer for me-is nowhere
We do not send money Anywhere.
IMO. The USA is on it's knees. No matter what ******** comes out of our President's mouth.

QUOTE=Nova;8632690]Why do you think we send money to Pakistan?

Hint: it isn't because we like the regime and it isn't out of the goodness of our hearts.[/QUOTE]

Because of the war in Afghanistan.
I know why we "need" them.

I assumed you did, which is why using money to ransom a single individual probably isn't going to happen.

KALI, we send money to Pakistan to support a military junta that seems better for our interests than a democratically elected but Muslim-fundamentalist government. We send money so the Pakistanis will look the other way while we use drones to strike at those we label "terrorists" in their country. We send money in the hopes that the current regime won't fire nuclear missiles at India.

There are probably other reasons, but these are the ones that come to mind. If we had the leverage in Pakistan that some posters imagine us to have, we would have pressured them to close their borders so the Taliban couldn't keep escaping into the Pakistani "tribal areas". Don't get me wrong: I WISH we could save all those who have contributed to U.S. intelligence. I just see no reason to believe such a rescue would be possible.

He acted as a spy. We chose not to tell anyone including the Pakistanis what we were doing. When real spies get caught, they don't generally receive a get out of jail free card. Not much Obama can do about it, but I imagine secret State and Defense Department negotiations are ongoing. In case no one has noticed, we are very heavily engaged in spy wars throughout the world.

Thank you. Part and parcel of being a spy for any country is the real possibility you will be found out and killed. Happens to ours too.

Sending them over a billion dollars a year while they support terrorists and ARE terrorists makes me ill.

We NEED that money here.

Sending them over a billion dollars a year while they support terrorists and ARE terrorists makes me ill.

We NEED that money here.

Nobody can say for sure what would happen if we withdrew our aid to Pakistan. But a regime change would be almost certain.

The ecological and economic damage of a nuclear war between Pakistan and India (and let's don't even imagine what would happen if China and/or Israel were drawn in) would make that one billion per year look pretty cheap.

Nobody can say for sure what would happen if we withdrew our aid to Pakistan. But a regime change would be almost certain.

The ecological and economic damage of a nuclear war between Pakistan and India (and let's don't even imagine what would happen if China and/or Israel were drawn in) would make that one billion per year look pretty cheap.

So you are ok with your money lining the pockets of terrorists?

I'm not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back