1169 users online (225 members and 944 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dental chain accused of hurting kids, bilking taxpayers

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2...taxpayers?lite

Visits to the dentist can be upsetting for little children, but when Autum Archuleta took her son Nathan to a Small Smiles dental clinic in February
    2011, it was beyond anything she could have imagined. The dentist gave Nathan, then almost 3, three crowns, two baby root canals and six silver fillings in 25 minutes.

While in the waiting room, Archuleta says she heard her son screaming and burst into the treatment room. She says Nathan was crying and struggling to move while being held down by three clinic employees and wrapped from his head to his feet in a stabilization device called a papoose board. She thinks he wasn't properly numbed.

"He wasn't the same for a long time after we brought him home," Archuleta said. "He cried a lot...He wasn't my little boy. He didn't smile...The night terrors were the worst. I mean it was a lot of sleepless nights.".............

But three years later [1/10], records show the company has not cleaned up its act.

"This company sees dollar signs in the eyes of every child they bring in," Senator Chuck Grassley told NBC News. Grassley has been investigating dental organizations whose primary source of revenue is Medicaid. He says Small Smiles practices assembly-line treatment, focused more on quantity than quality.

"This whole investigation kind of leads us to two things. To a conclusion that the tax payers are being fleeced, and children are being abused." Grassley said.

More at link.....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I do not like dentists one bit. And not for the usual reason that most people don't like them.

They are baby teeth! Why on earth would a 2 year old need that much dental work anyway? It makes no sense to put the child through that or to spend that kind of money on baby teeth! I can understand a filling but root canals on baby teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    They are baby teeth! Why on earth would a 2 year old need that much dental work anyway? It makes no sense to put the child through that or to spend that kind of money on baby teeth! I can understand a filling but root canals on baby teeth?
    I don't get it either. Why does a baby need a crown? And I think it would be impossible to do all the procedures described in 25 minutes.
    Just my opinion

When I was around 9 or 10, I had to have a number of adult teeth extracted to prepare for braces (I had a very small mouth, too many teeth) and we had to go to an oral surgeon I had never been to before. As was customary at that time, I went to the back by myself to have this done. I was pretty scared and I truly didn't understand the mechanics of getting all those teeth out of my mouth--I think I was under the impression teeth were removed like they were in cartoons still.

Anyway, I was having these 6 adult teeth taken out and had ONE TEAR that came from my eye, I was not moving, I was not trying to say anything. This guy leaned in really close and called me a big baby and I needed to grow up! When it was over, I got out of the chair with my mouth full of gauze and he said "bye big baby" and I got out of that room as fast as I could.

My mom looked at me and said I looked very pale, rushed me into the car, I didn't say what happened. Years later I told her and she said she wished I would have been able to tell her then because she would have knocked him out.

I think if I took a kid to a dentist today I'd be right in there with the child, there are a lot of crazy dentists.
    All posts from me are MY OPINION ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    If the child is fairly young and the tooth is very decayed, a crown will be put on because if the tooth is just removed, the adult teeth will probably have spacing issues as they come in. The crowned baby tooth maintains a space for that particular tooth underneath to be guided into.

DD#1 has two crowns in her lower teeth, because as the dentist explained, her adult teeth would not be in until she was around 10, and they were trying to preserve the "space" so there would be no shifting before the new tooth came in.

Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    I do not like dentists one bit. And not for the usual reason that most people don't like them.
    neither do I not i bit ! In fact im 52 and now facing dentures for years and years of messed up work from dentists. some of it I guess is just an accidnet some was intentional.

I lost 4 teeth for braces wore them 9 friggin years.

then the dentist that pulled my widom teeth injured the root fo the tooth next to them and there goes my upper molars.

next I had a dentist drill a hole in a tooth next to the one getting a filling, I saw it but didnt dare go back for fear im a chicken to the shots. One day 22 yers later I was sitting at a nail shop and the tech said " dentist are crooks they will drill a hole in the tooth next to the one they are working on so you get a new cavity. Ofcourse I got a cavity and wished I had gone back, there goes another tooth.

Now my hubby come home after he went and they told him to get deep root cleaning. I didnt know he had not got it done but he was so hyped saying I should. BIG MISTAKE . I came home and and spit portions of my teeth out, the part around the fillings now the edges are sharp and decayed.

Lets see is that it? well that was enough and now I have about 12 teeth left and they want to yank them :-(

Dentists have the highest suicide rate and now I see why! LOL I should have gone back and made that dentist fix that but I was young scared and broke, the mistakes were just that and I did take as good as care as I could, I went for cleanings etc

that deep root cleaning is a rip off and I would run like Hell if they try to get you to submit.

thanks for listening to me rant, I wish I had known this 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    DD#1 has two crowns in her lower teeth, because as the dentist explained, her adult teeth would not be in until she was around 10, and they were trying to preserve the "space" so there would be no shifting before the new tooth came in.
    Is that a recommended practice?
    I had nothing done on my teeth as a child and the new one came in perfectly even.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Is that a recommended practice?
    I had nothing done on my teeth as a child and the new one came in perfectly even.
    When the baby teeth are decayed, yes it is recommended.

The "Kool Smiles" dentistry chain also has many charges of unscrupulous and fraudulent practices such as overdiagnosing problems and then recommending treatment that is extensive and costs much more than a simple procedure and proper and appropriate treatment would.

Chains like these make big bucks off of medicaid and other gov't systems and take advantage of parents who don't know better or don;t care because they aren't paying for it or never gave their kids proper dental care in the first place.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...w-kool-smiles/

It's all about the money and it sickens me.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    Wouldn't a space maintainer do the same thing? That's what my daughter had....
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

What an awful story... That poor baby !!!i would never imply Mom was wrong... But I have never left my child in the dentist office room alone, they started going at 2 years old now 18 and 14, my 18 year old goes alone but not my 14 year old... I still sit in that little room with her.

Man o man, little guy is going to be traumatized for many years regarding dental care and that's a shame...
    Just my, no one elses

Some of these money-hungry dentists can intimidate parents. I took my toddler to one when he was about 2. She had a "cadillac" practice - expensive office building, furniture, fancy sports car in the parking lot, etc. These dentists can be very aggressive w/ parents who have good dental insurance, just to make extra money.

This dentist kept wanting to xray my son's teeth every month. He still had his baby teeth and they were in good condition, it wasn't necessary. Because ionizing radiation accumulates over a person's lifetime, its not recommended to expose small children to lots of xrays unless they really need them. I told her no when she wanted to x ray them for a second time in 2 months. She also wanted to give him a filling, even though there was no evidence of decay. When I said "no", she began lecturing and pressuring me, accusing me of harming my child. She even hinted that she might turn me in to children's services. I said "see you later" and never took my kid back there. We went to another dentist who was much more professional. My son's teeth were fine, he never had a cavity until he was in his early 20's.

I have no doubt these dentists are intimidating these parents, possibly even threatening to turn them in to DFS for child abuse. Had I not experienced it myself, I never would have believed it. Believe me, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ~greeneyedgirl~ View Post
    What an awful story... That poor baby !!!i would never imply Mom was wrong... But I have never left my child in the dentist office room alone, they started going at 2 years old now 18 and 14, my 18 year old goes alone but not my 14 year old... I still sit in that little room with her.

Man o man, little guy is going to be traumatized for many years regarding dental care and that's a shame...
    Unfortunately, many dentists are adding policies stating no parents in the exam room. Personally, I think that's just asking for abuse allegations, and I would NEVER allow that to happen with my child. However, it happens.

My sister actually stopped going to a dentist because of their treatment of a child in the next booth during one of her appointments. She sent a letter explaining her reasons, as well as making a DHS report.

My husband was traumatized by a non-gentle dentist as a child, and it took me years of hand-holding, anxiety-meds, etc. before he was able to go back. *sigh*
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast