Sale of Medicis to Valeant Pharmaceuticals by Jonah Shacknai

Do you think the deaths of RZ and Max brought the sale of Medicis to Valeant?

• Yes

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K_Z

Verified Anesthetist
Reaction score
Do you think the sale of Jonah Shacknai's company, Medicis, to Valent Pharmaceuticals, had anything to do with the deaths of Rebecca Zahau and Max Shacknai?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/12/11/valeant-medicis-complete-26b.html

Valeant, Medicis complete $2.6B merger; Shacknai out

Phoenix Business Journal by Angela Gonzales, Senior Reporter
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 2012, 3:36pm MST

Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. has completed its $2.6 billion merger with Montreal-based Valeant Pharmaceuticals International today, according to an 8-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

As part of the deal closing, Medicis founder and CEO Jonah Shacknai is no longer a director of Medicis.

Thanks K Z for starting this topic. Will reserve my vote until can research better as have an inkling Medicis was up for grabs before July 2011 events. Potential mergers and acquisitions lurk continuously...

Thanks K Z for starting this topic. Will reserve my vote until can research better as have an inkling Medicis was up for grabs before July 2011 events. Potential mergers and acquisitions lurk continuously...

Kind of makes me wonder if someone has known this was coming down the pike. Not saying it was a reason for the deaths of Rebecca and Max, but possibly had to do with why a new partner wasn't welcomed, asking for a charity donation (denied), and/or a PR media campaign that I've wondered if it was to instill fear/threats of lawsuits resulting in a financial agreement.

Like you, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Rebecca or Max's case. If Iw ere Jonah, I might want to get out just to not be worried everyday about stockholder perception and possible pressure by PR folks. But I also think Medicis was up for grabs before all this started in July 2011.

WSJ reported August 9, 2011 that Valeant had approached Medicis to discuss buying them.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904480904576496293954276376.html

Since the girlfriend's death at Mr. Shacknai's home in July, Medicis shares have been underperforming the broader market, leaving the company vulnerable to a takeover approach, said people familiar with the matter.

While the announcement may have been timed after the Spreckels mansion deaths, it's possible Medicis was looking for a buyer before then.

It's also possible, as the article states, Valeant was just taking advantage of the opportunity to buy Medicis on the cheap.

ETA: Valeant bought Medicis for $44 per share. In Aug. 2011, shares were trading around $33 per share. They later rebounded to $58.78 per share.

Jonah may have wanted to get into something else.

KZ, this is an interesting topic. I don't know what to make of the sale of Jonah's business or how that relates to the deaths of Becky and Max.

According to a few insiders, Jonah may still be in charge of the day-to-day operations of Valeant? So he didn't exactly walk away from the pharmaceutical business.

Are you thinking that someone related to the business -- someone outside his immediate family -- may have something to do with both Max and Becky's deaths? That this outsider felt that by murdering both, Jonah would sell Medicis quicker or at a lower price?

I'm disinclined to believe that, but then, I'm willing to keep an open mind should more evidence comes out to demonstrate this.

IDK either, bourne.

Some thoughts I had were that the sale possibly was "in the works" well before the deaths, but the publicity from the deaths accelerated and forced the sale at a much lower cost due to negative publicity affecting business/ share price. (Admittedly, I haven't looked up share prices before and after the deaths, though.) As in, possibly he had to sell out because Medicis wasn't thriving, and this was a good option to bail before it completely imploded. The "wasn't thriving" part could be due to declining business issues, which were then intensified by the publicity from the deaths.

Another thought was that the sale "on paper" removes Jonah as CEO, but as in the Spreckles mansion sale, he is still in a major controlling role in the Valent- owned company. That removes him from both responsibilities for day to day operation, as well as publicity as the CEO, and also possibly provides yet another golden parachute for Jonah if he separates from Valeant. And gets his name out of the news and discussion of products sold by the former Medicis.

Another thought was that the sale of Medicis to Valeant, with or without Jonah's continued participation in the company, alters his net worth on paper in ways that would protect it from a civil suit launched by Dina, effectively limiting what he could be forced to pay out if she should win a civil judgment.

Another thought was that Jonah is genuinely "done" with Medicis, and grieving the death of Max and Rebecca, and wants to take a time out to restructure and repurpose his life going forward. Maybe he has a new business project he wants to pursue that he couldn't as CEO of Medicis, due to $$, time, regulatory rules, and/ or conflict of interest.

I think the sale of Medicis is somehow influenced or connected to the deaths, but I'm not sure to what extent, or how the sale is connected. That's why I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this.

KZ, this is an interesting topic. I don't know what to make of the sale of Jonah's business or how that relates to the deaths of Becky and Max.

According to a few insiders, Jonah may still be in charge of the day-to-day operations of Valeant? So he didn't exactly walk away from the pharmaceutical business.

Are you thinking that someone related to the business -- someone outside his immediate family -- may have something to do with both Max and Becky's deaths? That this outsider felt that by murdering both, Jonah would sell Medicis quicker or at a lower price?

I'm disinclined to believe that, but then, I'm willing to keep an open mind should more evidence comes out to demonstrate this.

BBM.

No, I don't think this at all. I think Max had a tragic accidental fall, and I think Rebecca was murdered in retaliation for perceived responsibility for Max's fall.

IDK either, bourne.

Some thoughts I had were that the sale possibly was "in the works" well before the deaths, but the publicity from the deaths accelerated and forced the sale at a much lower cost due to negative publicity affecting business/ share price. (Admittedly, I haven't looked up share prices before and after the deaths, though.) As in, possibly he had to sell out because Medicis wasn't thriving, and this was a good option to bail before it completely imploded. The "wasn't thriving" part could be due to declining business issues, which were then intensified by the publicity from the deaths.

Another thought was that the sale "on paper" removes Jonah as CEO, but as in the Spreckles mansion sale, he is still in a major controlling role in the Valent- owned company. That removes him from both responsibilities for day to day operation, as well as publicity as the CEO, and also possibly provides yet another golden parachute for Jonah if he separates from Valeant. And gets his name out of the news and discussion of products sold by the former Medicis.

Another thought was that the sale of Medicis to Valeant, with or without Jonah's continued participation in the company, alters his net worth on paper in ways that would protect it from a civil suit launched by Dina, effectively limiting what he could be forced to pay out if she should win a civil judgment.

Another thought was that Jonah is genuinely "done" with Medicis, and grieving the death of Max and Rebecca, and wants to take a time out to restructure and repurpose his life going forward. Maybe he has a new business project he wants to pursue that he couldn't as CEO of Medicis, due to $$, time, regulatory rules, and/ or conflict of interest.

I think the sale of Medicis is somehow influenced or connected to the deaths, but I'm not sure to what extent, or how the sale is connected. That's why I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this.

I think all of these have come into play in the decision making.

Medicis has been sold , Spreckels is (supposedly) up for sale and Dina and the ferals have been quiet for weeks. Is there a lawsuit going on behind the scenes right now?

Medicis has been sold , Spreckels is (supposedly) up for sale and Dina and the ferals have been quiet for weeks. Is there a lawsuit going on behind the scenes right now?

I very much doubt Dina is a position to sue anyone for anything. Her so-called expert report was invalid and contained no evidence of culpability on anyone's part nor did it disprove that Max's injuries were not an accident.

As to Jonah or the Zahaus suing, IDK. If I were the Zahaus, I'd be suing Dina and her "experts" for slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

I very much doubt Dina is a position to sue anyone for anything. Her so-called expert report was invalid and contained no evidence of culpability on anyone's part nor did it disprove that Max's injuries were not an accident.

As to Jonah or the Zahaus suing, IDK. If I were the Zahaus, I'd be suing Dina and her "experts" for slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

As Max's mother, Dina should be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Max. Such lawsuits are filed routinely in accidents. Surely you don't want to deprive a dead child or his mother of his right to seek the truth?

A deceased person can not be libeled so I'm not sure that the Zahaus have any legal basis to sue anyone. Dina and her experts expressed opinions they believed to be truth. Such opinions are allowed under the right of free speech.

JMO

As Max's mother, Dina should be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Max. Such lawsuits are filed routinely in accidents. Surely you don't want to deprive a dead child or his mother of his right to seek the truth?

JMO

Snipped and BBM. IMO, "routinely filed" lawsuits are a large part of what is wrong with our civil suit system. Sometimes an ACCIDENT is just an accident, and does not mean that "someone" with deep pockets should have to pay vast sums of money. Likewise, nuisance lawsuits, such as the "broken cookie" lawsuits filed by inmates, are a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Max suffered a terribly tragic accident. Filing a vengeful civil lawsuit or two will never hope to uncover "truth". IMO, that would be a purely vengeful and opportunistic effort on Dina's part. Jonah wasn't even home. If Dina wanted to change direction and file a suit alleging the bannister wasn't safe or up to code, she might have a small chance of winning a civil suit. But to continue to blame Rebecca, with no evidence, and then try to make Jonah responsible somehow, would be yet another disgusting move by Dina, IMO. (But not unexpected, given her past behavior.)

But this thread is really supposed to be about the sale of Medicis to Valeant, so perhaps any further discussion about civil suits should be moved to the Potential Civil Suits thread.

A deceased person can not be libeled so I'm not sure that the Zahaus have any legal basis to sue anyone. Dina and her experts expressed opinions they believed to be truth. Such opinions are allowed under the right of free speech.

JMO

Wow, I didn't know I had such overarching powers to deny Dina of anything. Thanks for seeing me in this light. I'm beaming with newfound pride about my powers now.

To reiterate, Dina's "expert" report was wholly baseless and invalid. She can do whatever she wants with the report, she can even attempt to bring a frivolous lawsuit at someone, but she will absolutely, unequivocally LOSE. She will only be wasting her own money and efforts, and make herself look even more guilty of Becky's murder by inviting more speculation about her vindictive motive for wanting Becky dead. So BRING IT ON Dina.

As an aside ( sorry, there's no perfect home for this post), Natalie Wood's death has been reclassified and reopened. They are even interviewing people they haven't interviewed before. This is 30 years later. Strange.

Snipped and BBM. IMO, "routinely filed" lawsuits are a large part of what is wrong with our civil suit system. Sometimes an ACCIDENT is just an accident, and does not mean that "someone" with deep pockets should have to pay vast sums of money. Likewise, nuisance lawsuits, such as the "broken cookie" lawsuits filed by inmates, are a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Max suffered a terribly tragic accident. Filing a vengeful civil lawsuit or two will never hope to uncover "truth". IMO, that would be a purely vengeful and opportunistic effort on Dina's part. Jonah wasn't even home. If Dina wanted to change direction and file a suit alleging the bannister wasn't safe or up to code, she might have a small chance of winning a civil suit. But to continue to blame Rebecca, with no evidence, and then try to make Jonah responsible somehow, would be yet another disgusting move by Dina, IMO. (But not unexpected, given her past behavior.)

But this thread is really supposed to be about the sale of Medicis to Valeant, so perhaps any further discussion about civil suits should be moved to the Potential Civil Suits thread.

I certainly don't consider those who file a wrongful death lawsuit to be "disgusting." By your logic, the Goldman, Brown, Rocha families have all made "disgusting" moves by filing wrongful death lawsuits. Accidental deaths can be due to negligence and our legal system recognizes financial damages are a form of accountability. I doubt anyone who files a wrongful death lawsuit appreciates their actions being labeled a "nuisance" or being compared to a incarcerated criminal.

Just as the sale of Medicis is a legal action, a wrongful death lawsuit is also a legal action and it is the only legal action an accident victim's family can take on behalf of the victim. I understand you believe the right for a grieving family to ask questions and have them answered under oath is "disgusting" and "opportunistic" and "vengeful" but I don't share your view.

If the mods feel this belongs in another thread, please move it. I responded to another post that raised the issue and that posting has remained here.

JMO

I must say the news of the $2.6 billion $$$ Merger left with me with 3 thoughts:

1- Jonah, the founder of Medicis, winds up with only $30 million and is out of the company.

2- a lot of people now have lost jobs in Scottsdale by this Merger....must not be pleased with JS.

3- Medicis stock price was JS incentive to get a quick resolution on the Rebecca case....only
a suicide finding would quiet Wall Street.

I must say the news of the $2.6 billion $$$ Merger left with me with 3 thoughts:

1- Jonah, the founder of Medicis, winds up with only $30 million and is out of the company.

2- a lot of people now have lost jobs in Scottsdale by this Merger....must not be pleased with JS.

3- Medicis stock price was JS incentive to get a quick resolution on the Rebecca case....only
a suicide finding would quiet Wall Street.

Jonah only made 30 million on the Medicis sale?

I certainly don't consider those who file a wrongful death lawsuit to be "disgusting."

Just as the sale of Medicis is a legal action, a wrongful death lawsuit is also a legal action and it is the only legal action an accident victim's family can take on behalf of the victim. [/]

JMO

BBM, and snipped by me for relevance. I apologize for being a little late responding.

Now that some time has passed, I find I agree with you, after all. And perhaps your feelings were right all along about the wrongful death lawsuit. I feel certain Rebecca's family is looking forward to asking many questions of the named defendants under oath. It is their legal right, after all. They are only looking for answers, as you have pointed out.

And now that the SOL is past for any wrongful death civil suits to be filed by Dina or Jonah, I hope that speculation has been put to rest. If there was a legal reason for either of them to file a wrongful death suit on Max's behalf, I believe they would have done so. I hope the passage of time will encourage Dina to stop her public accusal of Rebecca.

Estate of Rebecca Zahau et al v. Shacknai et al

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216006"]Estate of Rebecca Zahau et al v. Shacknai et al - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361