6.3 earthquake strikes off California coast

~n/t~

Reaction score
A violent earthquake struck early Friday morning off the coast of California, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The magnitude 6.3 quake struck at a depth of 6 miles, about 163 miles southwest of the nearest city, Avalon, on California’s Santa Catalina Island, at 2:36 a.m. PT (5:36 a.m. ET), the USGS said.
Earlier reports indicated that two earthquakes struck 17 seconds apart, but the USGS later confirmed that only one quake occurred.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/14/15903859-63-earthquake-strikes-off-california-coast?lite

Hope our West Coast friends are ok. :please:

So far so good...I was asleep, and didn't feel it, and to be honest, it was a long distance from me and under water, so I don't think a lot of folks felt it. No damage has been reported so far, and as long as this is not a foreshock, I'll be happy.

Still, as usual, when there's a large EQ nearby, I will go through and double check my supplies...

Best-
Herding Cats

I didn't feel it, either and I'm in North San Diego County about 2 miles from the beach. If only I'd not finally fallen asleep at 2am!

Didn't feel it in N. Cal either, this is the first I've heard of it...

I didn't feel it, either and I'm in North San Diego County about 2 miles from the beach. If only I'd not finally fallen asleep at 2am!

Oh good my niece is in San Diego, she also lives close to the beach, I don't know how close. Did you get any kind of Tsunami warning? I'll call her later just to make sure, they are all alright. I thought 6.3 was pretty big? Hope everyone came out with no injuries and little or no damage.

6.3 is pretty big, but when it's offshore, it isn't always felt on land. And, from what I've read, it was fairly shallow, which also lessens the ability to feel it (less mass to travel through, and less mass to adjust/shake).

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246