1303 users online (230 members and 1073 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71
Results 1,051 to 1,061 of 1061
    Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    Problem is....some don't want to be anything, they don't want to do anything. I guess we can thank Dr. Spock and his "don't spank your children" garbage for that.

OK, I normally don't take comments to heart but if you think this man would have turned out differently if he was spanked is beyond belief IMO. whos to say he wasnt? I don't spank my kids. I don't have a problem with those who do but each parent needs to feel comfortable with how they teach their kids. I have never read that hitting or not hitting your child will prevent violence. I think we ALL need to take a breath here on this topic. IMO

I'll be over at Spreecast to view Tricia & Levi Page's discussion. I'll try to continue following here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    They werent assault weapons.

One was a .223 which is a standard semi-automatic used mostly for hunting and it was left in the vehicle and never used.

The others were just handguns. A Sig and a Glock iirc.

I am a woman and I own 5 deer rifles and three handguns......one which is a Glock.

IMO
    Self deleted after reading Fran's post and realizing that my post may have went over the line. Sorry!
    Justice for Trayvon

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    I agree.... just sad never the less.. how far radiating this thing will go...

Also NJ plates... maybe he was rooming with his brother?
    His brother has not had contact with him since 2010, according to multiple reports.

http://www.courant.com/news/breaking...,3969911.story
    Raw: Memorial at Newtown, Conn. Church
    "If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
    C.S. Lewis

Dr Drew reported on a tweet they read of a RIP on a kindergardner named Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by swanniee11 View Post
    OK, I normally don't take comments to heart but if you think this man would have turned out differently if he was spanked is beyond belief IMO. whos to say he wasnt? I don't spank my kids. I don't have a problem with those who do but each parent needs to feel comfortable with how they teach their kids. I have never read that hitting or not hitting your child will prevent violence. I think we ALL need to take a breath here on this topic. IMO
    I'm going to agree with you. I think there are FEW men in prison who, had they only been physically punished more would have led a productive life. I think it's exactly the opposite. There are probably few men in prison who weren't beaten as children.

I, with my little ones just having left not long ago to spend the night with their grandparents, think I'm going to have to step away from a bit, go grab a coffee and book at the coffee shop and try to get a grip, frankly. I have been here reading all day. I have heard multiple reporters say, (and I'm paraphrasing here) something like, "Hopefully once we have more information, we can begin to understand what led this 'man' to kill these children."

Ugghhh, where do I begin? I don't think there is any amount of information, mental health diagnoses, gun statistics and arguments that will help me "understand" what this monster did, or lend a justifiable reason why. I don't think I am capable of "understanding" this.

I have 3 children, am in my mid 30's.. my middle child is 5, in Kindergarten. I visit her class often; I know what kindergarten classrooms are like.

What I "understand" is that this 'man' walked into this classroom, likely with kids laughing, playing with blocks and puzzles on the floor covered with brightly colored rugs, working on Christmas crafts to bring home to their Mommies and Daddies, and murdered them. All of them.

Nothing will ever make me understand this. Why I still want to know the who, the where, the details, I can't even explain to myself, because it won't make me understand; won't give me the "why".

I got home from work and went to my daughter's room first and hugged her and told her I loved her. She giggled like only a 5 year old can and asked, "Why are you squeezing me so TIGHT?" I told her, "Because I CAN, sweetheart."

With the families and the victims occupying a HUGE chunk of my heart tonight, I'll say goodnight for now, and try to think about something else for a bit.

ABC's 20/20 is also going to be reporting live from Newtown at 10pm EST.
    "If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world."
    C.S. Lewis

Can we stop the blaming? This thread is hard enough to process without hearing people attack our own kids, and our own choices. When you throw out blame- you're attacking other innocent members here who are productive members of society.

Quote Originally Posted by michmi View Post
    FWIW I completely agree. IMO, we have raised the biggest generation of wusses I've ever seen. Inability to cope with problems and/or not having everything the way they envisioned. Partly to blame are the parents who said, like a mantra, "you can be anything you want."
    Maybe you raised that kind? But my kids, and most of their peers are some of the best young adults I've met in my life. They are far superior (intellectually, emotionally, and in terms of maturation) than me and my peers when we were their age. They are raising money for charities, doing volunteer work, and fighting for human rights before I was even aware of the term. I am so thankful to be surrounded by some of the strongest youths I've ever had the privilege of knowing. They are working HARD for their place in society.

Every generation comes along and tells tomorrows kids how much better they were as kids. And that is sad. Don't you remember being told how worthless your generation is? How productive was that? It's a MYTH with roots in the human tendency to romanticize history. History is gory, though.

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    Problem is....some don't want to be anything, they don't want to do anything. I guess we can thank Dr. Spock and his "don't spank your children" garbage for that.
    Above mentioned teens? Yeah, not spanked.

Do some college level research on the topic, spanking is not a cure all. In fact, long term studies suggest the opposite. Academia tells us that there is not a correlation between non-violent parents and violent children.

PLEASE, do not make this tragedy into your place to preach hateful messages about people who make different parenting choices than you.

PLEASE do not make this tragedy into a soapbox for telling the youth of today that they are pathetic, because they are not.

Last edited by KateB; 06-23-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71