1284 users online (295 members and 989 guests)  

Websleuths News

Cop's Taser puts boy in cardiac arrest

A 14-year-old boy went into cardiac arrest after police used a stun gun to subdue him, authorities said Tuesday.

More than a day after the Monday morning incident, the boy remained unconscious at Children's Memorial Hospital, Cook County Public Guardian Robert Harris said. Harris questioned why police used a Taser on the boy, a ward of the state who was living at a residential treatment center on the North Side.

"It's crazy stuff,'' he said.

But Chicago Police spokesman Dave Bayless said the boy lurched at an officer after a violent outburst at the center, in which he attacked three people and broke three windows. The boy has been charged with three counts of aggravated battery to protected employees and one count of aggravated assault.

Police said it was the first time anyone in the city had gone into cardiac arrest after being hit by the Taser electronic gun, which shoots wire barbs that give shocks of 50,000 volts of electricity.

Bayless said police planned to review research on the safety of the guns, which the department has used since last year. Nationwide more than 80 people have died after receiving the shocks, according to published reports.

The boy has been a ward of the state since 1999 and has lived at the North Side center run by Ulich Children's Advantage Network since June 2003. Ulich officials said the incident was under investigation and would not comment.

14-year-old was not armed

The incident happened around 9:40 a.m. Monday, Bayless said. The boy, described by Harris as a "big kid,'' became agitated and out of control. He allegedly began shattering windows and battered employees of the center, Bayless said.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-taser09.html

I don't know about y'all, but I am getting sick and tired of hearing that Tasers are safe to use on kids. There just has to be more stringent guidelines on when, how and on whom they can be used.

If you handed out Tasers to the nurses and orderlies in a mental hospital and they used them as often as cops to settle someone down, there would be a public outrage like you would not believe. But the cops are using them on unarmed children and that's ok? What would the cop do if he hadn't have had a taser available? There's an alternative, surely.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    I don't know about y'all, but I am getting sick and tired of hearing that Tasers are safe to use on kids. There just has to be more stringent guidelines on when, how and on whom they can be used.

If you handed out Tasers to the nurses and orderlies in a mental hospital and they used them as often as cops to settle someone down, there would be a public outrage like you would not believe. But the cops are using them on unarmed children and that's ok? What would the cop do if he hadn't have had a taser available? There's an alternative, surely.
    If this were a medication, it would have already been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux
    What would the cop do if he hadn't have had a taser available?
    Rubber bullets?

There is a thread around somewhere on a officer tasering a 9 year old girl.

I personally think tasers are a good tool for officers to have. They have to deal with very unruley people at times and their lives are on the line every single day. A 14 year old can be very large and powerful.
    With that said, I do beleive there are some offiicers who abuse it.
    In the department that I work at, the officers have tasers, but don't use them very often unless absulutely necessary... And there are many times when it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by lisag
    I personally think tasers are a good tool for officers to have. They have to deal with very unruley people at times and their lives are on the line every single day. A 14 year old can be very large and powerful.
    With that said, I do beleive there are some offiicers who abuse it.
    In the department that I work at, the officers have tasers, but don't use them very often unless absulutely necessary... And there are many times when it is necessary.
    I agree with you both in that tasers are good tools and that some officers abuse them. I think the key here is that the manufacturers have declared them as totally safe. I will agree that they are safer than bullets, but nothing is TOTALLY safe. And I don't believe they should be used on unarmed children! Officers should be subject to the same review for discharging a taser as they are for shooting a gun. Cincinnati started using tasers a year or so ago. A while back they were working on a ruling about using tasers on children, but I am not sure what ever came of that. But I do remember that when they started using the tasers, officers were demenstrating how safe they were by using them on themselves. And they talked a lot about how the manufacturer said that they were completely safe. But you notice that the tasers that the cops use are not sold to the public.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I don't think anything is or claims to be "totally safe." However, considering the fact that 14 year olds have been known to commit cold blooded murder, this kid was already in a facility because of previous problems and an entire team of staff couldn't deal with him, I think these officers were well within their rights to do what they did. Perhaps used on a normal, healthy 14-year old, there wouldn't have been this type of reaction. The officers had no idea that tazing this kid would cause this reaction. Unfortunately, when someone goes mental and does this sort of thing, sometimes they get hurt.