1225 users online (239 members and 986 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    There is a continuum of self-harm and the higher the behaviors are on this scale, the more likely the person is to have suicidal thoughts. Cutting and burning oneself are at the top of the scale. Biting, rubbing, and scratching are at the bottom.
    Well since he killed himself then certainly he was suicidal. Unfortunately he was homicidal as well.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy101 View Post
    That was also stated is 2007... I think things got worse for Adam
    I know. That wasn't the point I was making. It's ok though, it gets confusing in these fast pace conversations sometimes. I was replying the that article being used as a reference point to say that adults were afraid of him or his behaviors.

We've been getting little scents of the story, and it would be most unusual if his behavior/condition did not steadily fall leading up to where we are.

Warning- unqualified opinions ahead:
    I personally believe he was misdiagnosed if he were, in fact, diagnosed with Aspergers. I think sometimes, especially as young humans, these differences can be masked or appear as something else entirely. I personally don't think they always get it correct right off the bat- and not AT ALL to their fault, but just because kids are so "in process" developmentally speaking. That's one reason I believe so strongly in staying consistent with mental health professionals if you find yourself in any need of one.

Quote Originally Posted by FootballMom View Post
    "Self-injurious behavior is one of the most devastating behaviors exhibited by people with developmental disabilities. The most common forms of these behaviors include: head-banging, hand-biting, and excessive self-rubbing and scratching. There are many possible reasons why a person may engage in self-injurious behavior, ranging from biochemical to the social environment. This paper will discuss many of the causes of self-injury and will describe interventions based on the underlying cause."

http://www.autism.com/index.php/symptoms_self-injury

http://www.autism-help.org/behavior-...jury-intro.htm
    aww man the head banging! I had an 18 month old patient that would bang his head on the cement floor at our office deep purple goose on his head and he'd keep going... he'd only cry when mom tried to stop him...
    he was admitted and ended up with an ASD diagnosis and a helmet until he was like 10!
    Bless that mama!
    ~ my opinion only

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7557--nfl.html

On Sunday afternoon, Giants receiver Victor Cruz paid tribute to Jack Pinto, one of the students killed in Friday's Sandy Hook tragedy, by writing Jack's name on his shoes. He did so because Jack Pinto loved him above all other players, loved him so much that he may well be buried in a Cruz jersey.

After the game, Cruz stood and spoke before a semicircle of cameras and microphones four and five deep, and tried to make sense of the fact that he was one of the most important people in the life of someone who died decades too soon ... so much so that Pinto would watch Giants games wearing his Victor Cruz jersey.

"It's humbling," he said. "I was honored to know I was his favorite player. It's just unreal what happened."

Like the rest of the country, Cruz watched and read with horror as the events of Sandy Hook unfolded on Friday. And by Saturday, he realized that he had a personal connection.

"My Twitter feed started filling up with 'Jack Pinto, Jack Pinto,'" he said. "I'm reading this, and I'm in my hotel room fighting back tears." He asked his girlfriend Elaina to try to track down Jack's family, and within 20 minutes, she'd located them and patched him in on a three-way call.

FootballMom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. MLKJr
    Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Interesting you mention Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I read that Dylan Klebold was likely schizotypal.

Dylan Klebold: Personality Profile
    http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/criminal...d-profile.html

I wonder if Jared Loughner, Seung-Hui Cho, and James Holmes could be schizotypal as well. I could see Loughner having traits for it as he had odd beliefs.

Schizotypal Personality Disorder
    http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx33.htm

-Ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)
    -Odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)
    -Unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions
    -Odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)
    -Suspiciousness or paranoid ideation
    -Inappropriate or constricted affect
    -Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar
    -Lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
    -Excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self
    ^^^which also closely describes symptoms/behaviours present in Aspergers including paranoia.

http://aut.sagepub.com/content/5/2/147.abstract

Quote Originally Posted by SwampMama View Post
    As a former elementary teacher I know there is a huge imbalance in the ratio of male teachers to female teachers and I bet AL knew that too. Sandy Hook only had one male staff member listed and I think he was the custodian. I did see a few names that could be either male or female but were more likely female. So there was probably just one man in that whole building of women and children.
    I hadn't really reflected on that before, to be honest. The school my kids went to for elementary had an unusually high number of male teachers, even in K and 1st, which is usually dominated by female teachers. It makes me wonder if that was intentional on the principal's part because of this sort of thing, or for another reason all together.

“Nancy told me he was burning himself with a lighter. In the ankles or arms or something,” he recalled of a conversation they had about a year ago. “It was like he was trying to feel something.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2FHk6HEsz

Uh...nope. Self mutilation is an attempt to keep suicidal feelings and emotional pain at bay by relieving psychological tension. Ten percent of self mutilators will eventually commit suicide.

Yes, he would have been a target for the bullies, but I think his bizarre behavior scared people whether they wanted to admit it or not.

The bizarre behavior of unmedicated people with Schizotypal Personality Disorder and schizophrenia scares me and a lot of other old psych nurses, old psych techs, psych residents and old psychiatrists that I know.
    BBM

Pens, is your assessment that he was mentally ill or mentally disordered? Or a co-morbidity of both?

I'm putting my question this way because any earlier article on the Daily Beast regarding the Aurora CO shooter's motivations indicated that most mass shooters are not necessarily mentally ill, but disordered and feeding a fantasy of deep-seated rage against the world.

I realize it's a complex issue, but most mentally ill people I've known (and I've known quite a few I'm sad to say), aren't capable of planning and executing something like this.

I will be glad to locate the link, but this thread is so big and I wanted to ask while you were still on line.

TIA!
    pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me

I work with kids who are diagnosed with HFA (high-functioning autism) and Asperger syndrome every day. Attributing this to autism alone just doesn't feel right to me at all. I think we'll learn in the coming days and weeks that there was much more going on with AL.
    always remembering

Jacob Wetterling, missing from St. Joseph, Minnesota since October 22, 1989

Jeanna North, missing from West Fargo, North Dakota since June 28, 1993

^^^which also closely describes symptoms/behaviours present in Aspergers including paranoia.

Yes, some of the symptoms overlap, but Asperger's individuals are not known for homicidal mass shootings.

There is a continuum of self-harm and the higher the behaviors are on this scale, the more likely the person is to have suicidal thoughts. Cutting and burning oneself are at the top of the scale. Biting, rubbing, and scratching are at the bottom.

Some of the self-injurous behavior that autistic children exhibit are sensory integration dysfunction behaviors. My daughter was adopted from an orphanage. She exhibited two self-injurous behaviors during the first six months after her adoption (hair pulling and occasional head banging). The Early Intervention Program worked with her for several hours every week with their sensory integration methods and equipment. Her behavior was almost involuntary. Using a lighter to burn oneself is not an involuntary action.
    o/t
    Did she ever head bang in the bed on a pillow to sleep?
    OR during her sleep?
    Have you ever heard of that?
    ~ my opinion only

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Normal Again View Post

Warning- unqualified opinions ahead:
    I personally believe he was misdiagnosed if he were, in fact, diagnosed with Aspergers. I think sometimes, especially as young humans, these differences can be masked or appear as something else entirely. I personally don't think they always get it correct right off the bat- and not AT ALL to their fault, but just because kids are so "in process" developmentally speaking. That's one reason I believe so strongly in staying consistent with mental health professionals if you find yourself in any need of one.
    I think his symptoms all appear to fit Aspergers. So what makes you think he was misdiagnosed? Assuming that what he was diagnosed with, since we don't even know that for sure.
    Just my opinion

Yes, some of the symptoms overlap, but Asperger's individuals are not known for homicidal mass shootings.
    What kind of mental disorder is known for homicidal mass shootings?
    Just my opinion

Not a football fan at all, but this made me tear up. What a good guy.
    always remembering

Quote Originally Posted by CatMama3 View Post
    BBM

Pens, is your assessment that he was mentally ill or mentally disordered? Or a co-morbidity of both?

I'm putting my question this way because any earlier article on the Daily Beast regarding the Aurora CO shooter's motivations indicated that most mass shooters are not necessarily mentally ill, but disordered and feeding a fantasy of deep-seated rage against the world.

I realize it's a complex issue, but most mentally ill people I've known (and I've known quite a few I'm sad to say), aren't capable of planning and executing something like this.

I will be glad to locate the link, but this thread is so big and I wanted to ask while you were still on line.

TIA!
    Psychotic people are not irrational in every aspect of their thinking. They may think rationally about other subjects until they coincide with their specific delusion. For example: I cared for a very nice patient who was hospitalized approx 2 times each year for psychosis. He loved to play dominoes and chat about superficial topics. If you didn't mention the words "Navy, water, boat, US government or Veterans Hospital" you might never know that he was psychotic. Once the topic veered off the weather, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and other superficial topics, anyone could tell that he was very mentally ill. Before his medications began to work, he believed the psych unit was a locked submarine.

I don't know what this killer's mental diagnosis should have been, but it is becoming obvious that he wasn't just autistic.

Not trying to generalize here, because really, there's as much variability in people diagnosed with an ASD as there is in the "typically developing" population (one of the coolest things I've learned since starting my job), but I think it's worth pointing out that a lot of people with ASD have a really hard time with metaphorical or imaginative thinking, which distinguishes it from disorders which have delusions as a symptom. Many, many kids and adults with an ASD diagnosis are extremely literal.

Unfortunately, if "our" kids (as in, the ones who we work with in our lab) are paranoid at all, it's because their lack of social skills and stereotyped language and interests make them an easy target for bullies.
    always remembering

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast