1161 users online (197 members and 964 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Major Snow Storm:Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works

Be safe, this is going to be a big storm.

Much to the delight of those in the holiday spirit but to the displeasure of travelers, the stage is set for snow to spread from Colorado to the Upper Midwest Wednesday into Thursday.

Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski discusses many impacts of the upcoming storm over the Midwest in "Disruptive Major Midwest Storm Thursday, Friday."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...bay-sn/2816377

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Oh Boy...is this the Hurricane Sandy for the Midwest??
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Damaging, Disruptive Midwest Storm on the Way

A powerful storm will take aim on the Midwest during the second half of the week and threatens to bring travel disruptions, damage and power outages.

Cities in the path of one or more aspects of the storm include Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Des Moines, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Louisville, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Blizzard conditions are possible with damaging winds, blowing snow and whiteout conditions across eastern Colorado and western portions of Kansas and Nebraska on Wednesday. Northeastern Kansas to Iowa may be dealing with blizzard conditions Wednesday night, before the harshest conditions spread from Iowa to Wisconsin on Thursday.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...friday/2841590

My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

Oh I hope it shifts, my son is supposed to be heading out to his dad's house in Iowa on Friday....we live in Colorado.... This concerns me...

I have 2 brothers up in Michigan that will be driving down to Louisiana on Friday for a Cajun Christmas. Looks like not much snow where they will be driving from.

Stay safe and drive safely, everyone! Prayers that all get to their Christmas destinations safely!
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Going to the store tomorrow early. Doesn't look like we will get hit nearly as hard as our neighboring states to the north and east.

Still it appears to be the first real winter weather since last year and the people who have moved from 3 season weather states will have a heck of a time learning to drive in the snow and sleet. My daughter will take her friend to a mall parking lot (before it opens) to practice in the snow. Her friend was shocked at how cold it can get when we told her it can be 20 below zero with worse wind chill, and it can also get colder. She wailed 'You mean it can get worse, like Alaska?' We laughed and told her people from Wisconsin, Michigan etc, think our weather is almost balmy and can't get over why our stores will close when there is only 8 inches of snow on the ground!

It takes me a bit to get back into 'winter driving' mode...a little bit of slip sliding and steering into the skid maneuvers. But I always try to plan driving as little as possible during the storms and immediately after.

Freezing rain or ice scares me more than snow unless I'm driving in a white out blizzard.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Show Me View Post
    Going to the store tomorrow early. Doesn't look like we will get hit nearly as hard as our neighboring states to the north and east.

Still it appears to be the first real winter weather since last year and the people who have moved from 3 season weather states will have a heck of a time learning to drive in the snow and sleet. My daughter will take her friend to a mall parking lot (before it opens) to practice in the snow. Her friend was shocked at how cold it can get when we told her it can be 20 below zero with worse wind chill, and it can also get colder. She wailed 'You mean it can get worse, like Alaska?' We laughed and told her people from Wisconsin, Michigan etc, think our weather is almost balmy and can't get over why our stores will close when there is only 8 inches of snow on the ground!

It takes me a bit to get back into 'winter driving' mode...a little bit of slip sliding and steering into the skid maneuvers. But I always try to plan driving as little as possible during the storms and immediately after.

Freezing rain or ice scares me more than snow unless I'm driving in a white out blizzard.
    When we lived in KC I would drive the 4-wheel to work every time it snowed just so I could get out of the way of peeps slippin and slidin. I've been in -5 and in 116 degrees in KCMO but I still love the place. Miss it. Be SAFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie Estes View Post
    When we lived in KC I would drive the 4-wheel to work every time it snowed just so I could get out of the way of peeps slippin and slidin. I've been in -5 and in 116 degrees in KCMO but I still love the place. Miss it. Be SAFE!
    I still live KCMO and I'm starting to miss Florida! I don't do winters very well, enjoy the first snow, like on Christmas...then no more please. But family is here so maybe I'll become a snowbird someday. Best of both worlds.

Be safe my friends, don't forget to put small shovel and cat litter(for traction) in the trunk in case you get stuck. Bottled water and blankets and granola bars. Fill up on windshield wiper fluid and take your cell phone and leave phone charger in car. Try to stay on the main roads.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

I'm only in the supposedly 1-3 inch range. Still going to the store early today. No way am I getting caught unprepared for another winter storm.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    We're under a winter storm warning and blizzard warning here in southern WI. I'm in 12"-14" range. Snow is supposed to start late tonight and be heaviest tomorrow morning (they said possibly 2"-3" per HOUR at some times!) till noon, then blizzard conditions into the evening. I honestly can't remember the last time we had a blizzard warning.

We're definitely planning on staying home from work tomorrow and snuggling up at home!! I think it will be a good time to bake some Christmas cookies.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    I still live KCMO and I'm starting to miss Florida! I don't do winters very well, enjoy the first snow, like on Christmas...then no more please. But family is here so maybe I'll become a snowbird someday. Best of both worlds.

Be safe my friends, don't forget to put small shovel and cat litter(for traction) in the trunk in case you get stuck. Bottled water and blankets and granola bars. Fill up on windshield wiper fluid and take your cell phone and leave phone charger in car. Try to stay on the main roads.
    I hate snow and cold but I must admit that I do like a nice storm every once in awhile. Like once a year. And especially around Christmastime. After that, I'm done. It can all dry up and be 70 degrees thankyouverymuch.

The worst part for me is driving in it. I get so scared and I drive like a grandpa, which means people behind me get mad. Oh well. I'm taking my time, so sucks to be you stuck behind me.

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Well, my boss just said we're closing the company tomorrow. He doesn't want anyone trying to drive in that mess.

I don't think that has ever happened in the 15 years I've been working here!! I'm glad though, then I don't have to feel guilty for not coming in.

There are always a bunch of these guys who will drive in no matter what - come hell or high water they aren't missing work!! It's so annoying because they make the rest of us look bad.

Justice for Travis

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    I live in southeastern lower Michigan and probably won't be affected by the storm. For those who are traveling for the holidays, have a safe trip.

Forecasters: Strong storm could bring up to foot of snow to parts of northern Mich. by Friday

National Weather Service says parts of state expected to see snowfall starting Wednesday night, Thursday morning

Published On: Dec 19 2012 09:12:34 AM EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weathe...z/-/index.html

December 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

Storm could bring foot of snow to parts of Michigan

By Detroit News staff and wire reports

Alpena — Forecasters say a strong storm could bring up to a foot of snow to parts of northern Michigan by Friday.

The National Weather Service says parts of the state are expected to see snowfall starting Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2FVyC40YX
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 12-19-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: additional link

I have a friend in TX who can't believe we drive in that stuff. But if we didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere for four months out of the year. You just get used to it, I guess. It's never fun but I'm sure people from states who never get snow would be terrified.

I agree on the freezing rain. That scares me so much more than snow. I remember one time last year driving to work and the roads were literally (and I mean literally in the true sense of the word) a solid sheet of ice the entire way in. About every two minutes, I would feel my wheels slipping and I thought for sure I would end up in the ditch. My adrenaline was pumping the entire time. I was crying the whole drive. It was horrible.

I've only driven in a few really bad white-out conditions and that was terrifying as well. I couldn't see where the road ended and the ditch began. I had to keep my speed up to at least 35 or I would get stuck, but driving even that fast was scary because I was sliding everywhere and couldn't see where I was going. That's also when the snow and ice accumulates on the windshield so quickly that I have to reach my hand out the window to shake the wipers loose. You can't stop to clear it off because you'll get stuck.

Ugh, I'm sooo glad we get to stay home tomorrow and I don't even need to attempt it!!

Justice for Travis

Black ice is very dangerous; I hit that one time driving on I-70 near Topeka, Kansas, I was doing about 35MPH. The car went left across 2 lanes, over the grass divider, over all the lanes on the other side, then back across the divider, did a 360, then back across the lanes, down an embankment and ended up on the on ramp. DH was freaking out and my first response was 'I wish I had a video of that'. Fortunately no one was injured but I still smile/cringe when I think about it. This was in daylight with very little accumulation on the road but the ice was there. BE CAREFUL on ice/black ice...the thing about black ice is you don't see it

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast