Major Snow Storm:Denver to Green Bay Snowstorm in the Works

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Be safe, this is going to be a big storm.

Much to the delight of those in the holiday spirit but to the displeasure of travelers, the stage is set for snow to spread from Colorado to the Upper Midwest Wednesday into Thursday.

Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski discusses many impacts of the upcoming storm over the Midwest in "Disruptive Major Midwest Storm Thursday, Friday."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/denver-to-chicago-green-bay-sn/2816377

400x266_12171749_majorstorm.jpg

Oh Boy...is this the Hurricane Sandy for the Midwest??

400x266_12181853_snowfallmw.jpg

Damaging, Disruptive Midwest Storm on the Way

A powerful storm will take aim on the Midwest during the second half of the week and threatens to bring travel disruptions, damage and power outages.

Cities in the path of one or more aspects of the storm include Kansas City, Omaha, St. Louis, Des Moines, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Louisville, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Blizzard conditions are possible with damaging winds, blowing snow and whiteout conditions across eastern Colorado and western portions of Kansas and Nebraska on Wednesday. Northeastern Kansas to Iowa may be dealing with blizzard conditions Wednesday night, before the harshest conditions spread from Iowa to Wisconsin on Thursday.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/major-midwest-storm-thursday-friday/2841590

Oh I hope it shifts, my son is supposed to be heading out to his dad's house in Iowa on Friday....we live in Colorado.... This concerns me...:(

I have 2 brothers up in Michigan that will be driving down to Louisiana on Friday for a Cajun Christmas. Looks like not much snow where they will be driving from.

Stay safe and drive safely, everyone! Prayers that all get to their Christmas destinations safely!

Going to the store tomorrow early. Doesn't look like we will get hit nearly as hard as our neighboring states to the north and east.

Still it appears to be the first real winter weather since last year and the people who have moved from 3 season weather states will have a heck of a time learning to drive in the snow and sleet. My daughter will take her friend to a mall parking lot (before it opens) to practice in the snow. Her friend was shocked at how cold it can get when we told her it can be 20 below zero with worse wind chill, and it can also get colder. She wailed 'You mean it can get worse, like Alaska?' We laughed and told her people from Wisconsin, Michigan etc, think our weather is almost balmy and can't get over why our stores will close when there is only 8 inches of snow on the ground!

It takes me a bit to get back into 'winter driving' mode...a little bit of slip sliding and steering into the skid maneuvers. But I always try to plan driving as little as possible during the storms and immediately after.

Freezing rain or ice scares me more than snow unless I'm driving in a white out blizzard.

Going to the store tomorrow early. Doesn't look like we will get hit nearly as hard as our neighboring states to the north and east.

Still it appears to be the first real winter weather since last year and the people who have moved from 3 season weather states will have a heck of a time learning to drive in the snow and sleet. My daughter will take her friend to a mall parking lot (before it opens) to practice in the snow. Her friend was shocked at how cold it can get when we told her it can be 20 below zero with worse wind chill, and it can also get colder. She wailed 'You mean it can get worse, like Alaska?' We laughed and told her people from Wisconsin, Michigan etc, think our weather is almost balmy and can't get over why our stores will close when there is only 8 inches of snow on the ground!

It takes me a bit to get back into 'winter driving' mode...a little bit of slip sliding and steering into the skid maneuvers. But I always try to plan driving as little as possible during the storms and immediately after.

Freezing rain or ice scares me more than snow unless I'm driving in a white out blizzard.

When we lived in KC I would drive the 4-wheel to work every time it snowed just so I could get out of the way of peeps slippin and slidin. I've been in -5 and in 116 degrees in KCMO but I still love the place. Miss it. Be SAFE!

When we lived in KC I would drive the 4-wheel to work every time it snowed just so I could get out of the way of peeps slippin and slidin. I've been in -5 and in 116 degrees in KCMO but I still love the place. Miss it. Be SAFE!

I still live KCMO and I'm starting to miss Florida! I don't do winters very well, enjoy the first snow, like on Christmas...then no more please. But family is here so maybe I'll become a snowbird someday. Best of both worlds.

Be safe my friends, don't forget to put small shovel and cat litter(for traction) in the trunk in case you get stuck. Bottled water and blankets and granola bars. Fill up on windshield wiper fluid and take your cell phone and leave phone charger in car. Try to stay on the main roads.

I'm only in the supposedly 1-3 inch range. Still going to the store early today. No way am I getting caught unprepared for another winter storm.

We're under a winter storm warning and blizzard warning here in southern WI. I'm in 12"-14" range. Snow is supposed to start late tonight and be heaviest tomorrow morning (they said possibly 2"-3" per HOUR at some times!) till noon, then blizzard conditions into the evening. I honestly can't remember the last time we had a blizzard warning.

We're definitely planning on staying home from work tomorrow and snuggling up at home!! I think it will be a good time to bake some Christmas cookies.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!

I still live KCMO and I'm starting to miss Florida! I don't do winters very well, enjoy the first snow, like on Christmas...then no more please. But family is here so maybe I'll become a snowbird someday. Best of both worlds.

Be safe my friends, don't forget to put small shovel and cat litter(for traction) in the trunk in case you get stuck. Bottled water and blankets and granola bars. Fill up on windshield wiper fluid and take your cell phone and leave phone charger in car. Try to stay on the main roads.

I hate snow and cold but I must admit that I do like a nice storm every once in awhile. Like once a year. And especially around Christmastime. After that, I'm done. It can all dry up and be 70 degrees thankyouverymuch.

The worst part for me is driving in it. I get so scared and I drive like a grandpa, which means people behind me get mad. Oh well. I'm taking my time, so sucks to be you stuck behind me.

Well, my boss just said we're closing the company tomorrow. :yesss: He doesn't want anyone trying to drive in that mess.

I don't think that has ever happened in the 15 years I've been working here!! I'm glad though, then I don't have to feel guilty for not coming in.

There are always a bunch of these guys who will drive in no matter what - come hell or high water they aren't missing work!! It's so annoying because they make the rest of us look bad. :pillowfight:

I live in southeastern lower Michigan and probably won't be affected by the storm. For those who are traveling for the holidays, have a safe trip.

Forecasters: Strong storm could bring up to foot of snow to parts of northern Mich. by Friday

National Weather Service says parts of state expected to see snowfall starting Wednesday night, Thursday morning

Published On: Dec 19 2012 09:12:34 AM EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/weath...day/-/1719236/17828872/-/n4h7fsz/-/index.html

December 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

Storm could bring foot of snow to parts of Michigan

By Detroit News staff and wire reports

Alpena — Forecasters say a strong storm could bring up to a foot of snow to parts of northern Michigan by Friday.

The National Weather Service says parts of the state are expected to see snowfall starting Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121219/METRO/212190388#ixzz2FVyC40YX

I have a friend in TX who can't believe we drive in that stuff. But if we didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere for four months out of the year. You just get used to it, I guess. It's never fun but I'm sure people from states who never get snow would be terrified.

I agree on the freezing rain. That scares me so much more than snow. I remember one time last year driving to work and the roads were literally (and I mean literally in the true sense of the word) a solid sheet of ice the entire way in. About every two minutes, I would feel my wheels slipping and I thought for sure I would end up in the ditch. My adrenaline was pumping the entire time. I was crying the whole drive. It was horrible.

I've only driven in a few really bad white-out conditions and that was terrifying as well. I couldn't see where the road ended and the ditch began. I had to keep my speed up to at least 35 or I would get stuck, but driving even that fast was scary because I was sliding everywhere and couldn't see where I was going. That's also when the snow and ice accumulates on the windshield so quickly that I have to reach my hand out the window to shake the wipers loose. You can't stop to clear it off because you'll get stuck.

Ugh, I'm sooo glad we get to stay home tomorrow and I don't even need to attempt it!!

Black ice is very dangerous; I hit that one time driving on I-70 near Topeka, Kansas, I was doing about 35MPH. The car went left across 2 lanes, over the grass divider, over all the lanes on the other side, then back across the divider, did a 360, then back across the lanes, down an embankment and ended up on the on ramp. DH was freaking out and my first response was 'I wish I had a video of that'. Fortunately no one was injured but I still smile/cringe when I think about it. This was in daylight with very little accumulation on the road but the ice was there. BE CAREFUL on ice/black ice...the thing about black ice is you don't see it

Just dropping in to say good luck to all of you that might be affected by this storm!

We got about 1/2 inch snow here in southern OR/ northern CA area on the valley floors and they closed the schools. :floorlaugh:

I have a friend in TX who can't believe we drive in that stuff. But if we didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere for four months out of the year. You just get used to it, I guess. It's never fun but I'm sure people from states who never get snow would be terrified.

I agree on the freezing rain. That scares me so much more than snow. I remember one time last year driving to work and the roads were literally (and I mean literally in the true sense of the word) a solid sheet of ice the entire way in. About every two minutes, I would feel my wheels slipping and I thought for sure I would end up in the ditch. My adrenaline was pumping the entire time. I was crying the whole drive. It was horrible.

I've only driven in a few really bad white-out conditions and that was terrifying as well. I couldn't see where the road ended and the ditch began. I had to keep my speed up to at least 35 or I would get stuck, but driving even that fast was scary because I was sliding everywhere and couldn't see where I was going. That's also when the snow and ice accumulates on the windshield so quickly that I have to reach my hand out the window to shake the wipers loose. You can't stop to clear it off because you'll get stuck.

Ugh, I'm sooo glad we get to stay home tomorrow and I don't even need to attempt it!!
Yeah it gets to the point you have to go out and drive or you can't do anything.

I remember it taking me TWO hours to make a half hour drive home from work in the freezing rain. Boy did I have to pee once I peeled my hands off the steering wheel. Gripped the steering wheel so hard my hands hurt. People spinning out on the roads and you could NOT stop and help them or you'd end up in the ditch. Thank goodness not a lot of traffic as almost no one stopped at stop lights.

Also remember once our department not getting the word we were closed so all of us plowed our way to work only to be told an hour later the place was closed. (I should have known it was too easy getting that great parking spot!) Grrr...could have stayed in bed.

Hooray you are off tomorrow!

Black ice is very dangerous; I hit that one time driving on I-70 near Topeka, Kansas, I was doing about 35MPH. The car went left across 2 lanes, over the grass divider, over all the lanes on the other side, then back across the divider, did a 360, then back across the lanes, down an embankment and ended up on the on ramp. DH was freaking out and my first response was 'I wish I had a video of that'. Fortunately no one was injured but I still smile/cringe when I think about it. This was in daylight with very little accumulation on the road but the ice was there. BE CAREFUL on ice/black ice...the thing about black ice is you don't see it

I wished you did have a video of your wipeout! Wow amazing!

I remember once hubby, sister and I hit black ice on an on ramp to the highway. Spun around 360, still in the lane and ended up on the highway headed the right direction. We were all screaming...AAAhhhhhhhhhhhh until we stopped spinning. Then a collective Whew! I thought for sure we were going off the end of the ramp and into the ditch or get hit on the highway. Didn't hurt the car. Have not always been that lucky in bad weather though.

Just dropping in to say good luck to all of you that might be affected by this storm!

We got about 1/2 inch snow here in southern OR/ northern CA area on the valley floors and they closed the schools. :floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh: Yeah when nephew lived in Dallas Texas, an inch of snow once paralyzed the city. Most businesses in Missouri won't even begin to plow the parking lots until there's 2-4 inches of snow.

Here in the Iowa/Wisconsin/IL Tri-State area, our latest forecast is for over 15 inches of snow by Thursday noon. Stay safe everyone!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back