HI - Senator Daniel Inouye dead at 88

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Story just breaking.

Hawaii Sen. Daniel Inouye dies at age 88 (Washington Post)
Hawaii Democratic Sen. Daniel Inouye has died at age 88, his office confirmed Monday night.

His last words, according to a statement released by his staff, were “Aloha.”

Inouye has been hospitalized since early December due to respiratory problems. His cause of death was “respiratory complications.”

Inouye had served in the Senate since 1962.

Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii dead at 88 (AP)
WASHINGTON (AP) — The office of Sen. Daniel Inouye (ih-NOH'-way) says the Medal of Honor recipient and 50-year veteran of the Senate has died of respiratory complications at a Washington-area hospital.

The 88-year-old Inouye was the longest serving senator and was president pro tempore of the Senate, third in the line presidential succession.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced Inouye's death on the Senate floor.

He served under ten presidents. Amazing.

Prayers offered for Senator Inouye. We have lost a friend today, a champion for many who needed his voice.

Hoka Hey, Senator...Mitakuye Oyasin.

Dan Inouye spent his career building an enduring federal presence in Hawaii to ensure that the state would receive its fair share of federal resources. He worked to expand the military's presence on all major islands, stabilizing Pearl Harbor, building up the Pacific Missile Range and constructing a headquarters for the United States Pacific Command.

He has worked to build critical roads, expanded bus services statewide and secured the federal funds for the Honolulu Rail Transit project. He championed the indigenous rights of Native Hawaiians and the return of Kahoolawe.

He fought for the rights and benefits for veterans. Senator Inouye has left an indelible mark at the University of Hawaii, including support for major facilities and research assets. He has long supported local agriculture and alternative energy initiatives.

Dan Inouye was always among the first to speak out against injustice whether interned Japanese Americans, Filipino World War II veterans, Native Americans and Native Hawaiians.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/183853471.html

I always held an immense respect for him. His longevity was remarkable, especially considering he was Senator almost from statehood.

Rest in Peace, Senator. Aloha.

He was a great speaker- a real interesting person. Rest in Peace.

Influential Hawaii senator Daniel Inouye dies aged 88 (Guardian)
---
Inouye was a second world war hero and Medal of Honor winner who lost an arm to a German hand grenade during a battle in Italy. He became the first Japanese American to serve in Congress, when he was elected to the House in 1959, the year Hawaii became a state. He won election to the Senate three years later and served there longer than anyone in American history except Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who died in 2010 after 51 years in the Senate.
---

Thank you wfg for bringing the news here.

He was such an inspirational man. He was on Oahu during the Pearl Harbor bombing as a student at the age of 17. He volunteered as a medic at the Red Cross and in 1943 when the ban was lifted on Japanese-Americans serving in the Army he went active duty. He lost his arm in Italy during the war. He won a medal of honor.

He was elected to the legislature of the Territory of Hawaii in 1954, five years before the islands became the fiftieth state admitted to the Union, and served as the majority leader until he was elected to the territory's Senate in 1958.

Hawaii has lost a beloved son today. Rest in peace.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...-reed-army-medical-center-his-office-confirms

We lost a great American today, another member of The Greatest Generation.

He served under ten presidents. Amazing.
I should say he served in the U.S. Senate under ten presidents. Counting his time in the House - he took office there on the day Hawaii became a state, 21 August 1959 - he served in Congress under eleven presidents, including Ike.

Daily Mail has the lengthy AP account of Sen. Inouye's life, with pictures:

World War II hero Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii, who played key role in Watergate investigation, dies at age 88
---
Unlike the families of many of his comrades in arms, Inouye's wasn't subjected to the trauma and indignity of being sent by the U.S. government during the war to internment camps for Japanese Americans.

'It was the ultimate of patriotism,' Inouye said at a 442nd reunion. 'These men, who came from behind barbed wire internment camps where the Japanese-Americans were held, to volunteer to fight and give their lives. ... We knew we were expendable.'

Inouye said he didn't feel he had any choice but to go to war.

'I tried to put myself in the shoes of my neighbors who were not Japanese,' Inouye once said. 'I felt that there was a need for us to demonstrate that we're just as good as anybody else.

'The price was bloody and expensive, but I felt we succeeded,' he said.
---
much more at the link

Vermont's Leahy now third in presidential succession (AP)

[video=youtube;cJ5lx8N9CL4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5lx8N9CL4[/video]

Gov. Abercrombie spoke on local news.

Rest in peace, Senator Inouye. Thank you for the years you gave in service to our country. GB his family and friends.

The thought of him saying "aloha" is so touching. Makes me wonder if he were saying hello or goodbye...or both.

RIP and aloha, Senator. Prayers for the family.

Made me tear up. Rest easy, Senator. Aloha~ :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back